Canon EOS M Series Cameras

One from this morning ... Had to be up at 5.15am, travel for an hour to our bungalow we are doing up for a kitchen delivery ... to get a phone call about 30 minutes after I arrived saying it wouldn't be coming as they didn't have all the parts. Bloody fuming but at least I got this on the way home and after Sunday one of the chimneys will be missing as they are demolishing it.

Fawley Sunrise
by Michael Pursey, on Flickr

Nice :)
That's a bugger about the kitchen though Mike :(

Folks just wondered what the concensus is in relation to the EOS M6 mkii?

I have the M50 mk ii that I've pretty much given my daughter now so was wondering about grabbing one of these as my little travel camera? I've a few of the M mount lenses and find them perfectly acceptable (although I'm no pro). Is worth investing in one, or should I look elsewhere and leave the older kit for my daughter? Are we likely to see further development for this range of cameras ?

For me, the no view finder may well be a deal breaker. ( old skool ;) )

I just have the M50 mkI that I use for macro with the canon L macro lens, its a great lightweight combo IMO.
I have a gripped 7DII for everything else.

I have used the 100-400 MKII with the M50 and TBH save a little slowness with the adapter attached. I see little
difference in results.
And I have used the M 15- 45 dedicated kit lens, for general use, with good results,
I'd even go as far as to say its better than the ef/s 18-55.

Not quite what you were asking I know, but just my thoughts on comparison.

Appreciate the comments @Cobra

I like my little M50 mk ii and have the kit lens, the 22 mm and the 28 mm macro. I also have the adaptor with the 50 mm 1.8 and the sigma 105 mm macro lens.

I typically used to just stick the 22 mm on and stick it in my pocket. Daughter has pretty much nabbed it now lol so I was just thinking if I grab the M6 mk ii it would mean I can still grab something small and compact. Daughter only uses the kit lens at the moment.

I have the M6ii and think it's great. With the 22m lens it's an amazingly small package, or add the EVF and a couple of zooms and it's still a very compact set which gives excellent results. I upgraded through the range over the years and it's the best EOS-M model in my opinion.

@magicolor1

Do you think the EVF is necessary?

I do not need another kit lens and the option to buy without the lens and EVF saves a few £s
Although I currently only have an M3 (similar body to the M6ii) I bought the kit with the EVF and I can’t say that I’ve used it that much, except for on really sunny days. I agree with @magicolor1, it’s a very compact and versatile system.

Thinking of upgrading to an M6ii for the better AF, so it’s good to hear some positive reviews.

Depends if you like using an EVF or are happy with the screen. To be fair I don't often use the EVF - just if the light gets tricky to see the screen, but some people insist on them. The AF on the M6ii is really very good. Slow AF was one of the older EOS-M series cameras major bug-bears but the latest generation of cameras has fixed that.

Last edited:
Depends if you like using an EVF or are happy with the screen. To be fair I don't often use the EVF - just if the light gets tricky to see the screen, but some people insist on the, The AF on the M6ii is really very good. Slow AF was one of the older EOS-M series cameras major bug-bears but the latest generation of cameras has fixed that.
Yes, it’s pretty slow on the M3. Good to hear they’ve fixed that.

Yes I went from M (original) to M3 to M6 to M6ii and they got progressively better, but the M6ii was the biggest step-up of them all in my opinion.
I've still got the M, M3 & M6 though don't use the M, kinda of handy to keep both M3 & M6 as I can take them bot out with different lens on.

This may look like a flower, in fact its a pine cone forming on my Japanese larch Bonsai tree.
Hardly bigger than a pin head.

Canon M50 21mm extension tube Canon 2.8L macro lens

JL-cone.jpg

I'm guessing its time for a bump.
M50 + 1.4 TC + canon 100-400is mkII
Image by Blue tit.

034.jpg037a.jpg

Housework by blue tit

Last edited:
I have that combo. Going to have to try it. What's the AF like?
Almost instant. Although the image does appear a bit soft, I was just trying to see if it would AF with all that and the adapter.
The lowest f/# is f/8 although I guess you realised that would be the case.

I recently changed my 70D for a M6 MkII/adapter/viewfinder and use it with the EF lenses that I kept: 24-105 f4, 70-200 f4 and Siggy 10-20 f3.5.

After a few weeks of using it I have a couple of questions. Is it possible to set the M-Fn button to select either the electrical or mechanical shutter? Back button focusing? and also how do I stop the camera changing settings when it's at my side? Very annoying holding the camera to my eye and seeing it's changed itself to flash or self timer.

TBH I forgot about this thread ..

M50 + Canon 100mm L macro lens.
yea been over a year since we last appeared, where's that time gone.

Couple from my M3 15-35mm lens

Attachments

• IMG_1235.jpg
    IMG_1235.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1231.jpg
    IMG_1231.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
How long have I had an M50? and only just discovered the scene views :D
Trying out the HDR in bright light.
Yep that worked.

IMG_8671.jpg

No one using there M's nowadays... M6 15-35mm lens.View attachment 391733
I have to say my M6 mk11 is my most used camera, and has completely replaced my EOS 5D and Canon G11 cameras, for most things it is as good as a DSLR and almost as small as the digital compact. My EOS M has been un used since I got the M6 mk11, it was briefly lent to my youngest Son but he is back to using his EOS 550D (?).

Fort Dubrovnik IMG_1745edit by Keith Hudson, on Flickr

Dubrovnik IMG_1527editF by Keith Hudson, on Flickr

^^^ A couple of holiday snaps from last week in Croatia taken with the M6 mk11

How long have I had an M50? and only just discovered the scene views :D
Trying out the HDR in bright light.
Yep that worked.

View attachment 393002
Aww yea that's nice, have you tried your picture styles, I have my own 'user' picture styles via the Canon Picture Style App.

I love my M6 MkII ! It’s a fantastic camera which does about 80% of what my DSLR can do.

I find I grab this more often than not due to the size and weight.
I still have my M3 & M6, strangely enough prefer M3 though both often go out with me, I have been looking at the M6 MKII, not sure if it was on FB a mention Canon where going to discontinue the M range.

Last edited:
Aww yea that's nice, have you tried your picture styles, I have my own 'user' picture styles via the Canon Picture Style App.
TBH I did know they were there, but have only just started experimenting with them.
They are good fun to play with aren't they?

I love my M6 MkII ! It’s a fantastic camera which does about 80% of what my DSLR can do.

I find I grab this more often than not due to the size and weight.
That's the reason I do too, but mostly macro as the 100l 2.8 lens is also fairly light.
But with the 100-400 MkII screwed on, not so much :D

TBH I did know they were there, but have only just started experimenting with them.
They are good fun to play with aren't they?

That's the reason I do too, but mostly macro as the 100l 2.8 lens is also fairly light.
But with the 100-400 MkII screwed on, not so much :D
There are loads of pre-set ones you could use but I preferred me own, I took raw pictures with various weather lighting conditions then put them though Canon's utility app and edit your own picture style, then save to file, you can have 3 of your own picture styles saved in your camera, I have a few P/S saved on me computer mainly files I can change between summer & winter photography, so yea is fun as it's kinda your own image and not the cameras.

Last edited:
There are loads of pre-set ones you could use but I preferred me own, I took raw pictures with various weather lighting conditions then put them though Canon's utility app and edit your own picture style,
That all sounds rather complicated to me, I'll stick to the pre-sets and tweak in ACR if I feel inclined :D

That all sounds rather complicated to me, I'll stick to the pre-sets and tweak in ACR if I feel inclined :D
I think I made it sound complicated but it's is easy and ideal if you just want to take Jpeg, also if you don't have or like post processing.
Download Canon's Picture Style Editor & Utility App

Attachments

• Untitled_PS_001.png
    Untitled_PS_001.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Untitled_PS_002.png
    Untitled_PS_002.png
    155.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Untitled_PS_003.png
    Untitled_PS_003.png
    167.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
also if you don't have or like post processing.
I have CS5, & Bridge. Jpegs can be processed in ACR as well as RAW.
I also have Affinity for stacking, it blows Adobe out of the water.
That's enough for me.
Thank anyway.

Last edited:
I realise this thread is a little old, but I've been thinking recently about spending some time having a good go at street photography, and realise that a camera which is small and unobtrusive would be helpful (so wandering around with a 5D3 or R5 and L lens is far from ideal).

A good number of years ago, I picked up an EOS-M just as they were being replaced with the M2, and also have the 22mm F2 pancake lens.

The reason for this post is that whilst the EOS-M is ideal in terms of size, I have been out of touch with developments with the M series. I understand the M6 mk2 is the latest iteration of a similar size, although these seem hard to find for a decent price (used). What I did notice, looking at MPB is that the M6 mk1 is available for £300-£350, and assume this would be a big improvement over the original M, but I was also surprised that the original M seems to still command a decent price of around £200. Is there a reason for this?

I guess what I'm asking is whether it's worth getting an EOS-M6 mk1, sticking with the original M, or looking harder for an M6 mk2? I guess I'd also potentially consider an M5 (available for £280-£300), but they do look to be a fair bit larger given the built in EVF.

If I do go for an updated model, then I suppose it would make sense to trade in my original M which would reduce the overall cost.

Any thoughts would be more than welcome, thanks.

ETA - after a bit of further research, particularly looking at YouTube, it appears that the original M is now in demand, and gathering a cult following for video work due to the continual and significant updates to the Magic Lantern firmware. The recent updates, particularly the "Crop Mood SYSIWYG" version have now enabled the EOS-M to record RAW video at 5k with up to 14 bit colour depth (something that apparently is normally only available in far more expensive cameras). Example video here.

As video isn't something I'm particularly interested in, your thoughts on the various M models for stills photos would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Back