Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Anyone going to post their guess of the price?

I reckon around £600...
The thing that made the M such a great camera was the "Argos" price, if the M3 is as you reckon about £600 (and I reckon similar) then I really don't know if it would be worth the upgrade for me, really will depend on the spec, especially as already got a 70D as well. Would love it if they offered it a reduced price to get people's confidence back in the M system..

I think the camera itself will be somewhat more competitive, but then the optional EVF will knock it back up again ;)

Well if canon have done there job right and they are serious about taking over the mirrorless market, they have to price it inline with the sony a6000, currently £549 and been around a bit with a kit lens and an a7000 supposedly on the horizon, I can see hit hitting stores around the £600 mark. I wonder how similar the specs will be to the new eos 750 as well. I really hope canon have got their act together so they can blow everyone else of the water for once! Oh and I hope they have it at the photography show in march to play with!

Looks as though it has a aperture setting dial around the shutter button and an 'm-fn' multifunction button next to it. Hopefully it will be assignable like the 7D/5D3. Looks very promising!

I've had severe 11-22mm lust this week but I might just hold off until Friday. Hope they do a body only option.

Looks as though it has a aperture setting dial around the shutter button and an 'm-fn' multifunction button next to it. Hopefully it will be assignable like the 7D/5D3. Looks very promising!

I've had severe 11-22mm lust this week but I might just hold off until Friday. Hope they do a body only option.

Definiþely needs a body only selling option. Might be good as a paired option with the 11-22 UWA too.

Thankfully they've stuck with the EF M lenses as I'm about to complete my set with the 55-200mm. The M3 would need to be a radical upgrade to the M2 to make me spend significant money on one. I find the M2 is perfect for me as a back up ti my 5D3 and its a great holiday travel camera.

How are people finding the 11-22 ef-m? Is it sharp across the frame (as reports suggest) and is the wide end 'creative wide' or 'landscape wide'. I guess it equates to approx. 18mm. My 17-40 EF on a full body suddenly has a new lease of life! It would be good to have the same on the M.

So will there be a sudden glut of even cheaper, lightly used EOS-Ms in the for sale section shortly? ;)

Not from me there will not! I will keep both my M cameeas. The M3 has funds waiting for it.....

And one of the back....

m3_backx2zuo.jpg

Def a tilting screen then :)

Now, if we could just see the specs....

I do like the look of the M3, currently waiting to see what the announcement brings as looking to ditch my dslr for something lighter. had liked the original M but lack of grip means it doesn't feel right in my hands. is there any options out there people can suggest?

If not I might be going M4/3 and getting something like a Panasonic GX1/GX7

Will you be making a purchase as soon as, or will you be waiting for a little while?

If the specs are good then I will order straight away. I love the M but it has silly issues that I hope the M3 will solve.

The only caveat is I am short listed for a knee replacement operation and was told earlier today it could happen at short notice. I would delay buying if that happens.

I am committed to th smaller kit and the M gives me all I need. Canon must rise to the challenge and price it sensibly. I am also hoping for a wider range of lenses. At the end of the day, the M is a serioudly good camera and Canon should see it as a challenger with Fuji, Sony etc and drive it harder.

Steve

I'll wait for the reviews first. I've had my time as an 'early adopter' and I'm happy with the M as it is (for now). Hopefully the M3 will prove to be a good buy though. I'm more interested in what lenses they are going to announce to support the M range.

I do like the look of the M3, currently waiting to see what the announcement brings as looking to ditch my dslr for something lighter. had liked the original M but lack of grip means it doesn't feel right in my hands. is there any options out there people can suggest?

If not I might be going M4/3 and getting something like a Panasonic GX1/GX7

I have thought about one of these, not got round to trying one though

All this talk of the new M3 announcements, I'm thinking now might be a good time to loose the credit card somewhere in the house, even if only to avoid "early adopter" temptation! (Repeat after me: its the person taking the pictures that needs improving not the camera..... (And repeat!))

OK I was knocking the mode dial earlier, but if this one has customisable options as it seems, then I might actually find a use for it. Looks like quick exposure compensation too. Good good!

I must say, with the added grip it will no doubt be easier to handle, but it just doesn't look as sexy as the earlier models (and not when compared to Sony's offering). Another mantra to repeat to myself "it's only a tool."

No 7DII style AF focus point selector then... :rolleyes:

So will there be a sudden glut of even cheaper, lightly used EOS-Ms in the for sale section shortly? ;)
Nor me. As my M is my 2nd body I was going to install Magic lantern to have a "play" with. Has anyone on here tried it on the M yet ?

Nor me. As my M is my 2nd body I was going to install Magic lantern to have a "play" with. Has anyone on here tried it on the M yet ?
I did, but uninstalled it not long after. I think I encountered the infamous shutter bug, and didn't have time to research how to fix it, so of it came. It didn't seem as stable as on my 550D, and a bit fiddlier to navigate. I only really wanted it for the focus peaking anyway, so it wasn't worth keeping on at the time. I'll add it back if I want to do any timelapse etc. in future.

And one of the back....

m3_backx2zuo.jpg

Def a tilting screen then :)

Now, if we could just see the specs....
Quick ISO select on the back too. That's one of the things that annoys me about the current model, it' a pain to do quickly via the touchscreen. Looks like canon have had a good rethink around how it handles in general which can only be good.

Dammit Canon just take my money!

I must say, with the added grip it will no doubt be easier to handle, but it just doesn't look as sexy as the earlier models (and not when compared to Sony's offering). Another mantra to repeat to myself "it's only a tool."

Yes, it looks chunky and a bit bloated. A bit like my old G9 which the m replaced. Personally I'd have lost the angled screen for a slimmer body. Let's see what transpires when it finally gets released.

I feel the pop-up flash is a bit pointless too.

I feel the pop-up flash is a bit pointless too.
Agreed.. I haven't even used the flash that came with my M, would rather it was a pop up EVF like the RX100m3..

See the M1 and M2 Flickr group has had its title updated now to include M3.

I don't mind the idea of a pop up flash, I found it useful a few times on my old 7d when just grabbing a quick shot in low light. It will be nice when traveling really light with just a M with 22mm to have an option at least.

In fact, looking at the pictures in could be that Canon is releasing everything I wanted in the M3. The flip screen and optional EVF is what I would prefer. I'm hoping the front dial is multifunction and can change ISO or aperture on the fly. I think WiFi is a given so hopefully it's compatible with DSLR controller for tethering. And I really like the new looks and bigger grip.

I'm so hoping the rumored spec isn't far off (24mp, DPAF and 7fps). If this is correct (and the price isn't stupid) then I'll be ordering on day one without any doubt.

The only thing that would make it more perfect for me is releasing a new prime at the same time, something between 35mm - 50mm and 22esc.

Pop up flash makes it useful for family or party occasions as a compact unit.
And for serious pictures, it's useful for triggering slave flashes. As well as a bit of fill-in for portraits.

I'd rather not have it and have the choice with the hotshoe and have a smaller unit tbh, but it's just personal preference.

If they were really being innovative they would have made it so the pop-up flash will pop right out and can be replaced with an EVF designed to slot into that spot. A nice modular option so people can tailor their set up to their own requirements. Of course they haven't though...

If they were really being innovative they would have made it so the pop-up flash will pop right out and can be replaced with an EVF designed to slot into that spot. A nice modular option so people can tailor their set up to their own requirements. Of course they haven't though...
Now that's a good shout.. Agreed tho won't hold any hope of it..

Tricky one for me I love my M but it will only ever be a second camera so if the M3 is £600 it doesn't matter how good it is I won't be buying one. The shots of it look a little fatter and larger which again would make it a no canon should be making this as small as possible ditch the moving screen and as much bulk/weight as possible!

Back