Canon EOS M Series Cameras

If the lens works for the M M2 can't see why it cant work M3 & not sure what you mean by issue...?
It's a well documented fact that only the very latest batch with a new f/w will work with the M3 older ones (which many retailers still have) have to be returned to Tamron for a f/w update.

Anyone seen any good deals on the M3 recently? Hopefully I will have sold a lens at the end of the week so will be able to buy one. I am assuming that it is a worthwhile upgrade from the original M?
Nope sorry but yes def worth the upgrade imho.

Not much info, says brand new ef-m 15-45 f/3.5-6.3 IS STM & boasts a lens lock & ability to collapse down 25% shorter when packed away than the standard 18-55 lens.

Both could interest me love my m but would like better af at an affordable price and I hardly use the kit lens as it is stupidly big!

Still waiting for more pancake eos-m primes but canon don't seem keen to deliver!

Both could interest me love my m but would like better af at an affordable price and I hardly use the kit lens as it is stupidly big!

Still waiting for more pancake eos-m primes but canon don't seem keen to deliver!
Think your'd be better of keeping with the M than the M10 as its more an entry level camera.
I'd like to test out the lens on my M & M3 but can't find any mention of it being available for the M's

Thanks for the tips on where to buy an M3 but it looks like I will be waiting a bit longer as the money from a recent lens sale is now going to buy my wife a new iPad...

Nice thought she'll able to find good price for the M3 for you.

Looking for ?-600 lens for my M3 anyone know of a compact size that would fit the style of M3
I think you will struggle to keep the size down. Sigma 150-600 is probably your best choice atm, but it's certainly not M size!

I've seen some reflex lenses at around that focal length which maybe more suited to your compact requirements. You would likely compromise on IQ though...

Have you considered something like to canon 400mm prime and TC?

Last edited:
How do people find the focus peaking on the M3? I am looking to buy an MPE65 in the near future and wonder if the M3 might be the best body to use it on. Also can you tether the M3?
Replied in your other thread ;)

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/m-pe65-users.609995/

With regard to tethering, I don't think it's supported in the M series currently, certainly not via usb. I have used wi-fi and NFC to shoot via my phone though and this works quite well.

Last edited:
Not sure if this will be of use to anyone else, but here goes.
I wanted a hood for the 22mm, but looking at the official Canon one, didn't see the point of it, as it wouldn't offer any shade to the front element.
Normally I have a 43-52mm step up ring on the front for mounting filters and this is about the same depth as the Canon hood.
Not sure how this came about now, but playing with the EW-54 hood from the 18-55mm, found it was a perfect push fit on the 43-52mm step up ring.
It is a really good tight fit and does a great job with no vignetting at all, plus offering protection to the front of the lens.
This is how it looks in place :

Attachments

• P1010338sml.jpg
    P1010338sml.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 24
Great tip Steve, I have an EW-54 knocking around in a drawer somewhere. I will order a step up ring and give the hood a function instead of lying in a drawer. Good call
What brand of step up ring did you use by the way or was it a generic.

I shouldn't think there would be huge variations in rim thickness amongst the various step up rings but in this case and the fact you stated it was a perfect fit then tolerances may be tight.
So I won't take any chances and order from your link.

Cheers Steve

I shouldn't think there would be huge variations in rim thickness amongst the various step up rings but in this case and the fact you stated it was a perfect fit then tolerances may be tight.
So I won't take any chances and order from your link.

Cheers Steve

Yes it is a very good fit, it is even possible to screw the step up ring on pretty tight by turning the hood, or unscrew it again.

Anyone still using their original M?

I've set mine up similar to this chap

It makes a surprisingly good (cheap) video cam.

I'm going to be picking up a used EOS M in the next month or 2 for travel use plus some video work, mainly landscape shots so slow AF isn't a huge concern - size though is! It'll be used on motorbike touring in various mountainy parts of Europe, is the kit 18-55mm a decent lens or should I try to pick up the 22mm f2 as well?

Yes definately factor the 22mm into the equation, it is a superb lens and fits with the size of the M perfectly, hardly ever comes off mine :)
The 18-55mm is very good too, the kit lens label doesn't really fit with the quality of it.

Excellent. There's nothing else that seems to come close to the M at the price they're going for used - I'd love a viewfinder but not at the price difference between the M and M3! The new M10 got my interest a little until I saw it's still double the price of the M and the same price as the M3!

Hopefully the M's screen isn't too bad in sunlight as it'll be getting a lot of use in summer in southern Europe.

Last edited:
I used mine in Greece last year, to be honest it was a bit of a pain in direct sunlight but i always got the shot :) It's a compromise but a small one for my use, and hopefully yours (y)

I used my MK 1 last week at my nephews Christening ceremony. Used both the 22mm f2 and my EF17-55 f2.8 with adaptor, Low light in the church and couldn't use flash but didn't want to use my DSLR and have the mirror slap interrupting the proceedings (big advantage of mirrorless). The shots were more than acceptable even at 1600/3200 once cleaned up in PS. It really is a nice piece of kit when you consider how cheaply the MK1 can be picked up. It's basically a mirrorless 650D

Last edited:
If anyone could help me please - I'm keen to get either the 'M' or 'M3' both of which I've seen secondhand but unused with various items included I'd kit lenses, adapt or foe EF lenses, external mic etc.
My main use will be video with some photography to compliment my DSLR set up.
My question is, what would be my best option? I have EF lenses from 10mm up to 600mm, some are zooms.
Any help / advice would be appreciated. The kit lenses are 22mm & 18-55 stm.

@wardy07. Ooh difficult one because they are so different. Okay, I don't have an M3 so can only comment on paper specs. However the EOS M which I do have (latest firmware obviously) produced great video for very little outlay. Remember the sensor is the same as the 650D which is no slouch at video recording.
So is it up to the job ? Yes of course it is but is the M3 better ? Well that depends on what you want and how much extra you are prepared to pay . The M 3s bonus points.....
Flip screen
Higher IQ from the 24mp sensor
Focus peaking
Optional EVF

Cons for video shooting

No mic socket for external audio recording ( although there may be a workaround )

How important are those to you ? This ultimately is what should be driving your decision.

@wardy07. Ooh difficult one because they are so different. Okay, I don't have an M3 so can only comment on paper specs. However the EOS M which I do have (latest firmware obviously) produced great video for very little outlay. Remember the sensor is the same as the 650D which is no slouch at video recording.
So is it up to the job ? Yes of course it is but is the M3 better ? Well that depends on what you want and how much extra you are prepared to pay . The M 3s bonus points.....
Flip screen
Higher IQ from the 24mp sensor
Focus peaking
Optional EVF

Cons for video shooting

No mic socket for external audio recording ( although there may be a workaround )

How important are those to you ? This ultimately is what should be driving your decision.
Thanks for your advice - being able to add an external mic would be preferable so maybe the 'M' would be a better option. Having said that, I took a look around earlier and have found the 'M2' on Digitalrev site and the package they offer is amazing. Camera body, 2 lenses - 22mm f2 & 18-55 stm, Canon mount adaptor to use EF lenses, speedlight 90EX plus the usual battery & charger for £299 delivered. I think I'm correct in saying that the M2 does have a mic socket and better AF than the M so if you have any thoughts on that I would appreciate it.

Back