Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Ok, so it's arrived! ... and I'm very pleased indeed :)

It's a bit chunkier and heavier than the original M, but for the added features I think it's a good compromise. The LCD screen looks smaller due to the large 'frame' around it, but in fact it looks the same dimensions as before. The menu is a bit odd, preferred the old one. Might take a while to get used to. The articulation of the LCD is great and will be very useful. It feels sturdier than I expected.

The EVF is a lot better than I expected and the new dials make using it a lot easier.

AF speed seems good and the MF.n button is useful. Shame you can't add the level to it, but it's only a button press away. The video record button is also programmable, so I've put the focus peaking function on that (which is also great).

Tried the WiFi but couldn't get it to work. Need to read the manual or install the correct app on my iPhone. Any suggestions?

Battery now charging, so looking forward to another play later on! :)

For wifi you have to be in "play" mode or something like that, then hit the wifi button (best to RTFM for that bit). There are two official canon apps to download. EOS Remote and camera connect.. .both free anyway. Also try the nfc function if you have a compatible device. it will be useful to understand how it works when no wifi is available.

Last edited:
Anyone got the Rokinon/Samyang 12mm F2 prime in EF-M mount. I'm now stuck deciding between it and the 11-22mm!

Also, any owners of the 11-22mm, do you find you use the zoom function much, or do you mainly shoot at 11mm or thereabouts?

Cheers

Last edited:
How does the EVF compare with something like the Olympus EVF2? I've got one of those I occasionally use and don't find it particularly good, but if the Canon one is better I might be tempted to go for an M3. Well, OK I"m already very tempted ...

Anyone got the Rokinon/Samyang 12mm F2 prime in EF-M mount. I'm now stuck deciding between it and the 11-22mm!

Also, any owners of the 11-22mm, do you find you use the zoom function much, or do you mainly shoot at 11mm or thereabouts?

Cheers

I tried to find someone who'd used the Samyang on the M before without any luck.

I can say the 11-22 is my most used lens and yes I use the zoom a lot.

How does the EVF compare with something like the Olympus EVF2? I've got one of those I occasionally use and don't find it particularly good, but if the Canon one is better I might be tempted to go for an M3. Well, OK I"m already very tempted ...

Never used the Olympus EVF but very impressed with the Canon. The screen is clear and large and there's hardly any lag.

I tried to find someone who'd used the Samyang on the M before without any luck.

Never used the Olympus EVF but very impressed with the Canon. The screen is clear and large and there's hardly any lag.

Totally agree with Wissel on both counts. The 11-22 is supremely sharp and the EVF is excellent - no real latency to note from my limited use so far.

What picture style settings are you guys using with the M3? I guess it's irrelevant if using RAW files, but sometimes it's a good starting point in PP if you have it set 'as shot'.

There was a neat little feature in the M whereby you could select the number of shots taken after the 10sec shutter delay. Has this been omitted? It looks like it...

Totally agree with Wissel on both counts. The 11-22 is supremely sharp...

Thanks both. Yeah I know the 11-22mm is very decent (and I've seen the excellent things it can do in this thread). Just wondered how much use you find the zoom, and also AF while we are at it. Interesting to hear you make good use of the zoom. Do you find you don't have much use for the 22mm prime now?

I'm a big fan of primes so wondered if it might be a better option if I went for the Samyang. A few stops brighter, prime and I assume a closer minimum focusing distance (good for wide angle macro)!

Of course the cons are probably a bit bigger/heavier than the canon, no zoom, no AF. Both are in a similar price range. So many decisions! Arrrgh!

What picture style settings are you guys using with the M3? I guess it's irrelevant if using RAW files, but sometimes it's a good starting point in PP if you have it set 'as shot'.

There was a neat little feature in the M whereby you could select the number of shots taken after the 10sec shutter delay. Has this been omitted? It looks like it...
It was set to default on mine. Just switched it to Natural as prefer to control these things in post.

?

Thanks both. Yeah I know the 11-22mm is very decent (and I've seen the excellent things it can do in this thread). Just wondered how much use you find the zoom, and also AF while we are at it. Interesting to hear you make good use of the zoom. Do you find you don't have much use for the 22mm prime now?

I'm a big fan of primes so wondered if it might be a better option if I went for the Samyang. A few stops brighter, prime and I assume a closer minimum focusing distance (good for wide angle macro)!

Of course the cons are probably a bit bigger/heavier than the canon, no zoom, no AF. Both are in a similar price range. So many decisions! Arrrgh!

It was set to default on mine. Just switched it to Natural as prefer to control these things in post.

?

I still use them both a lot, however the 22mm is far better in low light conditions. The extra stop is very valuable. I tend to use the zoom a lot for landscapes as well as 11mm end.

It looks as though Canon batteries for the M3 are now available:

Canon LP-E17 Battery Pack for EOS M3 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TKOW20S/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_KRmlvb07BQ0YE
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TKOW20S/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_KRmlvb07BQ0YE

No aftermarket ones yet as far as I can see.

I'm really hoping after market versions are around by the end of the month. Hate the idea of spending £40 on a battery, especially when I'd like another 4 :eek:

How you finding your M3?

Last edited:
Haven't they shot up in price too? I'm sure I used to be able to get branded batteries for around £25 (which I thought was too much then...)

Gonna have to hold out for the third parties :(

I'm really hoping after market versions are around by the end of the month. Hate the idea of spending £40 on a battery, especially when I'd like another 4 :eek:

How you finding your M3?

Yes same here. Can't see myself forking out for a branded one. I'm sure it won't be long before there are some 3rd party alternatives. The two I bought for ~£12 last time were a bargain!

Haven't had much chance to use the M3 yet - stuck in work all day today :( - but first impressions are good. I have a new 32GB card coming tonight so will get out with it in anger over the next few days.

Haven't they shot up in price too? I'm sure I used to be able to get branded batteries for around £25 (which I thought was too much then...)

Gonna have to hold out for the third parties :(

Yes, they are really cashing in on the battery market these days [grumpily shakes fist in anger...!]

Took my M away on holiday with the adapter… couldn’t see a damn thing and had to point the camera in roughly the right direction and hope. Ho bloody ho! :( Glad I had an x20 :)with me just in case…. ah well. Does anybody have any polite suggestions as to how to overcome this other than buying a different camera?

Took my M away on holiday with the adapter… couldn’t see a damn thing and had to point the camera in roughly the right direction and hope. Ho bloody ho! :( Glad I had an x20 :)with me just in case…. ah well. Does anybody have any polite suggestions as to how to overcome this other than buying a different camera?

No. I found the same and tried all the alternatives without success, I ended up just buying a 100D and having a proper OVF for bright sunny days.

You could try one of these - a bit bulky but works well.

http://hoodmanusa.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=HLPP3M

I tried one of those, they have some drawbacks, you can't use the touchscreen with it fitted (which makes use rather difficult on the M) and it also has a magnification factor making it difficult to compose properly.

It's also makes the camera quite ungainly to carry.

I agree that not being able to get to the touchscreen can be a hassle and it does look a bit silly on the camera. Mine does not have any magnification factor so I can see the whole screen so no composition issues. I carry it in my bag for the odd occasion when I need it (mainly when digiscoping), it is quick and easy to take on and off.

Hmm… that changes the M into something quite er lumpy! Still if it works…. thanks guys. :)

I agree - I just ordered one and it should be here in a week and as there is much to be getting on with that is fine by me. Post some images from your new lens - GAS attack? THanks again.

Nice compo Matt!

I went to the park this evening to have a go with my FD mount 400mm prime. I must say the EVF makes all the difference, and I'm glad it's a large, well made one. Works well for wildlife especially with the zoom feature within easy reach and focus peaking to help with the manual focus. Feels a lot like a dSLR (but a lot better coz it's not so bloomin' heavy)!

I don't think I got any decent pics though, the light was miserable and I just wandered around taking snapshots. I just wanted to see how sharp the lens was really.

There's a lot of talk about the EVF of the M3 and issues with the M's screen in bright light. If your using a 22mm you can look on eBay for an optical viewfinder (35/36mm) which mounts on the hotshoe. You can also get variable ones for zoom lenses to change between say 22-55 or something. A little retro, but would work very well and certainly a better choice than the horrible thing that mounts over the screen.

For example:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=121622871560

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=281665052358

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=281653696422

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=191557740298

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=371298883430

Certainly not easy to find though, I've seen some new Samsung, Nikon, Panasonic ones before too

Last edited:
Still mulling over a Japanese M3 purchase!! Question for M3 owners, how much of an impact does the EVF have on battery life? Is it noticeable?

Still mulling over a Japanese M3 purchase!! Question for M3 owners, how much of an impact does the EVF have on battery life? Is it noticeable?

I'm not 100% tbh.

I went out last week, shot all day and camera was flat by about 6pm (it was on nearly all the time). I'd had the EVF on and it seemed to drain quicker than on previous sessions.

Then yesterday I went out again, took a few around St. Ives during the day (weather was overcast), then onto Godvery Point which had a nice sunset. I took around 300 shots, mostly bracketed, all with the EVF attached and being used. The battery was still almost full when I got home.

Either way 3rd party batteries are bound to be around at the end of the month when the 750d/760d are released.

On a side note the EVF is fantastic when shooting lower with a tripod. Being able to tilt it upright makes looking through it so easy. Love the EVF :)

Last edited:
The sunset over Godvery Lighthouse last night:

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

Haven't done much with them yet but it makes a change to get a nice sunset to photograph for me, weather never seems to play ball when I plan one of these shots. I do wish I'd taken a few with a longer zoom on though. This is a heavily cropped shot (again with very little editing) that I think might have had a little potential. Maybe.

IMG_0697.jpg

Hoping to get to Mevagissey for sunrise tomorrow. If I can get up :rolleyes:

Loving the weather down here at the moment.

@Wissel thanks for the reply. Still can't decide whether to take the plunge with the M3 or stick with the original M for the time being grrrrrrr. (I did have a go with an A6000 the other day with built in EVF and found that very handy!!) Some awesome sunset pics you've got there as well.

@Whitefiver loving your pic as well

Some amazing pictures (well I think so) from a great little camera!

Back