Canon EOS M Series Cameras

You guys have me GASing for a 22mm pancake now... :)
Mine hasn't been off the camera since it came in from China at £56! I have the adapter but haven't used it yet..maybe tomorrow if the weather holds.

I must say, does look like a fine little camera, especially for the price. I'd have got one if it wasn't for the fact I own no Canon lenses etc :)
With a 22mm it wouldn't matter- ha ha - then you might find something on the forums here to expand your system...

Even the 18-55mm is a very good lens. The 22mm would give some improved low light ability and make it easier to slip into the coat pocket.

With a 22mm it wouldn't matter- ha ha - then you might find something on the forums here to expand your system...
Haha I already have a Powershot S110 which covers my 'P&S' needs, and I would like to trade my D610 for a D750 so any Eos M cash is already marked for over things!

I did consider one for my GF's Christmas Present, but she can use all my Nikon lenses so a D3200 made more sense.

Last edited:
Have given mine to my wife as a xmas present :), she needed a good camera tonight for her xmas doo, so had to let her in on the secret this afternoon, she's over the moon with it ! ;-)

Looks like I have a duff sensor, or a cluster of hot pixels on the sensor :(, in liveview mode I've just noticed a cluster of red pixels ! :eek:, viewing menu etc.. doesn't show this, so can't be the display, bummer ! I'll have to take a RAW photo with extended exposure to test my theory.

Last edited:
Anyone notice chromatic aberration with
22m lens on high contrast areas wide open ? Compared lens to my 27mm fuji lens which exibits no cr. This was also center of image.
Have you got in camera correction turned on? CA's really shouldn't be a problem with modern processing.

Def time to source some longer lasting batteries. Just been hit by the red flashing battery sign [emoji45][emoji45]

Def time to source some longer lasting batteries. Just been hit by the red flashing battery sign [emoji45][emoji45]

I can definitely recommend the DSTL batteries off amazon (see earlier post). I think I paid under £12 for two. They arrived the next day using Prime. I used one this morning and it lasts equally as long as the canon one if not longer.

Has anyone got any good suggestions for a protective case or bag for the m? I'll mostly be putting it in a coat pocket when I get hold of my pancake lens, but it would be good to have a bag to keep it all safe when in the car, carrying it to and from the house etc. somewhere to store the flash, kit lens & spare batteries. Ideally something that doesn't compromise the compactness of the camera.

Has anyone got any good suggestions for a protective case or bag for the m? I'll mostly be putting it in a coat pocket when I get hold of my pancake lens, but it would be good to have a bag to keep it all safe when in the car, carrying it to and from the house etc. somewhere to store the flash, kit lens & spare batteries. Ideally something that doesn't compromise the compactness of the camera.
Cheers for the battery recommendations. Will take a look. As for bags, there was a recommendation further back in the thread. Just trying to find it.

I got the Argos kit just over two months ago as a gift. My observations are:-

1. For the type of photos taken with it I have never once thought the focussing was slow.
2. The battery life is not good. However this is a minor niggle as batteries are cheap and lightweight enough that a couple can be slipped in a pocket.
3. I have difficulties with there not being a viewfinder. This is a real problem for me. In sunlight it really is a case of point and shoot. I bought one of those little Delkin hoods but still have difficulty in composing on the screen in bright conditions.

Overall however it's a fantastic little piece of kit to put in your (oversized cargo shorts ) pocket and have available when with all the best will in the world you know you'd never have taken your gripped 60d with you.

South West Mauritius by Zambog, on Flickr

Puja Flowers by Zambog, on Flickr

Coloured Sands by Zambog, on Flickr

Incidentally the last photo is a RAW file imported into lightroom and NO further ajustments to vibrance or saturation have been made.

Last edited:
My plans for a South Coast jaunt with my M came to an abupt stop yesterday evening. Was watching my son playing footie and after he saved a penalty on 90 minutes I was dragged to the club bar for a beer. (Just the 1).

Walking back to the car, my foot went into a large opening in the tarmac and my knee buckled and twisted badly. 3 hours later in A&E I have an inflated splint on my left leg and on 2 crutches. joint clinic tomorrow. Had to be the leg that I have just finished 2 years of treatment on following a badly fractured Tibia, detached Fibula and knee tendon and ligament damage!

I am staring at my double M kit knowing that it may be a while before we get out to do land and sea scapes and now doubtful I will be able to get to Dublin to see my daughter and grandchildren at Xmas.....

Bloody football.

Last edited:
Walking back to the car, my foot went into a large opening in the tarmac and my knee buckled and twisted badly. 3 hours later in A&E I have an inflated splint on my left leg and on 2 crjtches. joint clinic tomorrow. Had to be the leg that I have just finished 2 years of treatment on following a badly fractured Tibia, detached Fibula and knee tendon and ligament damage!

Ouch that sounds very painful, hope you feel better soon!

Ouch that sounds very painful, hope you feel better soon!

Still in bed.

Getting picked up tomorrow by ambulance as my leg is fully enclosed in the splint.

It is uncomfortable....

I bet the winter light will be fantastic tomorrow. :-(

Some great shots with the M on this thread..... Cheering me up no end

Steve

Walking back to the car, my foot went into a large opening in the tarmac and my knee buckled and twisted badly. 3 hours later in A&E I have an inflated splint on my left leg and on 2 crutches. joint clinic tomorrow. Had to be the leg that I have just finished 2 years of treatment on following a badly fractured Tibia, detached Fibula and knee tendon and ligament damage!

Bloody football.

Crikey mate, that sounds horrendous. Hope you make a speedy recovery.

I've had my eos-m by my side all weekend and I have to say it is a cracking little camera. I haven't really been anywhere interesting and can't really compete with some of the amazing pictures on here, just shots of the kids and some street shots, but all in all I'm loving it. The image quality is fantastic for such as small camera.

I've had my eos-m by my side all weekend and I have to say it is a cracking little camera. I haven't really been anywhere interesting and can't really compete with some of the amazing pictures on here, just shots of the kids and some street shots, but all in all I'm loving it. The image quality is fantastic for such as small camera.
Have to agree with you, pretty much carry mine with me all the time. Since having the M its rekindled my interest in taking photos, just being able to have it with me all the time. (as long as battery lasts!! Ordered more this afternoon!!)

Crikey mate, that sounds horrendous. Hope you make a speedy recovery.

Thank you for your thoughts. Will see what happens when I go to the clinic tomorrow.

Remember that the M is packed with all the good stuff from the EOS 600/650D.

It really is an anacronism and, as others are finding, like you have, it can really surprise the user.

The quality of the pictures posted on this thread are inspiring! They are inspiring me to climb out, in a challenging way, my comfort zone!

Steve

Was hoping to get out for half an hour tonight for some night shots with it, but unfortunately the weather has put paid to that! Rain rain and more rain!

I broke my ankle in 3 places (and broke another piece completely off) a couple of weeks ago chasing the dog, I'm signed off work until the middle of March at the earliest. It's doing my head in already .... seeing all the photo's doesn't help me at all as it just reminds me of what I'm missing. :(

I also now realise I'm totally unfit and completely crap on crutches.

Best of luck tomorrow anyway.

Last edited:
I broke my ankle in 3 places (and broke another piece completely off) a couple of weeks ago chasing the dog, I'm signed off work until the middle of March at the earliest. It's doing my head in already .... seeing all the photo's doesn't help me at all as it just reminds me of what I'm missing. :(

I also now realise I'm totally unfit and completely crap on crutches.

Best of luck tomorrow anyway.

Mike I was on two crutches for a year then one for another year.... been off them for 3 months and now, well I will know tomorrow! You will eventually get used to them.

I was planning a really good couple of days away with the kit.

I am hoping that it will be a short time before I am back working the M.

Good luck with your ankle. Not the best piece of your 9mechanics to wreck! So easily done.

Steve

Hope you both have speedy recoveries, rubbish time of the year to be laid up.

Well Christmas present bought and more, been a rubbish year for me personal and family reasons, but now have the M & 18-55mm, adapter, 22mm and finger slipped, just bought 11-22mm (on its way), but aim I allowed to open it before Xmas, heading to London next weekend, or do I behave.......

Hope you both have speedy recoveries, rubbish time of the year to be laid up.

Well Christmas present bought and more, been a rubbish year for me personal and family reasons, but now have the M & 18-55mm, adapter, 22mm and finger slipped, just bought 11-22mm (on its way), but aim I allowed to open it before Xmas, heading to London next weekend, or do I behave.......

I have a hankering for this.... Might out my EF-S 10-22 as I prefer the weight and smaller size of the 10-18.

Not doing a thing till I am mobile

Steve

What the ####, if the lens, batteries, and bag arrive in time, think it's having an outing in London this weekend :) I promise to wrap it all up when I get home

Got to take some night shots tonight, not with the M tho {{hangs head in shame}}, gave the 70d an outing! Got to say i did miss the subtlety of the M.

A few from last weekend in London. Rather cliched I'm sure, but anyway..

All pretty much straight out of the camera and resized for the web. I did use a LR lens distortion correction for the St Pancras shots and pull the exposure back by half a stop on the last one.

Horay, extra batteries and case arrived today :) Case going back though as bit of a tight squeeze, a lowepro one.. :(
Now to decide whether to keep the 10-18mm, am I going to make the use of it enough to keep it! Choices choices... :whistle:

A few from last weekend in London. Rather cliched I'm sure, but anyway..

All pretty much straight out of the camera and resized for the web. I did use a LR lens distortion correction for the St Pancras shots and pull the exposure back by half a stop on the last one.
Love the pics, were they taken with the kit lens?

Horay, extra batteries and case arrived today :) Case going back though as bit of a tight squeeze, a lowepro one.. :(
Now to decide whether to keep the 10-18mm, am I going to make the use of it enough to keep it! Choices choices... :whistle:

Its a terrible lens but I can offer €21 and some half bitten liquorice toffees.... ;-)

S

Back