Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Ok, so having read the entire thread I'm getting a serious amount of GAS with the EOS-m! Seeing the quality of some of the images here and the fact that the kit is £200 at Argos is making me want to get one as a handy out and about camera/backup body.

I might sell my G9 as I've never been entirely happy with it and go for one of these.

I had been considering an upgrade to the G16 but now I can't decide between this or the G16. Is the M likely to yield better results than the G16? By the time I've bought an adapter and the 22mm pancake lens I'll have spent nearly £300 which is what the G16 is. The G16 is probably more of a 'pocket' camera, but you are stuck with the one lens. I like the flexibility of the M though, particularly as I have a few EF lenses. Decisions decisions!

Don't forget that Argos will give you a £10 voucher and if you opt for free home delivery (I'm not sure all the colours get free delivery) then you can save even more with quidco with a bonus 1% for paying via paypal which got my package down to nearly £180 I've added the 22mm for £68 from ebay could have been £10 less from asia and I'm holding off on the adapter as I don't think I'll use it.

Now it's arrived I'm really impressed the camera and 22mm is tiny and everything feels well build just need some decent weather to try it out!

I gotta say for anyone that's thinking of picking up one of these, I was very sceptical about it especially with all the reviews that were doing the rounds. But for the price and the ability to use existing glass, its been with me pretty much all the time. An absolute bargain, for me it's def replaced my Sony RX100.

Ahhhh yes

That lens could be the death of my DSLR kit

I wojld be v interested in this lens if it appears.

All the EF-M lenses to date have auto IS and STM motors so would Canon need to add such to a patent when it has probably done so in earlier patents.

Will be good to see Canon push forward with the M range..

Steve

Ok, so having read the entire thread I'm getting a serious amount of GAS with the EOS-m! Seeing the quality of some of the images here and the fact that the kit is £200 at Argos is making me want to get one as a handy out and about camera/backup body.

I might sell my G9 as I've never been entirely happy with it and go for one of these.

I had been considering an upgrade to the G16 but now I can't decide between this or the G16. Is the M likely to yield better results than the G16? By the time I've bought an adapter and the 22mm pancake lens I'll have spent nearly £300 which is what the G16 is. The G16 is probably more of a 'pocket' camera, but you are stuck with the one lens. I like the flexibility of the M though, particularly as I have a few EF lenses. Decisions decisions!

I have a G15 and an Eos-M and for me they serve two entirely different remits. The G15 (like the G16) is very pocketable and this stays with me in the car or in a jacket pocket pretty much all the time. Its great for casual grab shots and is a very capable little camera capable of producing great images. So where does the EOS-M fit in ? Well for me its not a G15 replacement (with anything other than the 22 pancake its just not pocketable in the true meaning of the word) However if i am after image quality comparable to my SLR but without the bulk/weight for prolonged carrying around (think day trips, visits to gardens,Palaces,castles etc) then the Eos-M is ideal. Same sensor as a top end Canon crop body and a fraction of the size and weight. You lose some functionality over a full blown SLR but 95% of the time its as good as.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm definitely coming around to the idea of the eos-m. I think it's the small form factor and the IQ that appeal. I'm guessing that even with the pancake lens and the 18MP sensor it's still possible to do a fair bit of cropping?

Don't forget that Argos will give you a £10 voucher and if you opt for free home delivery (I'm not sure all the colours get free delivery) then you can save even more with quidco with a bonus 1% for paying via paypal which got my package down to nearly £180 I've added the 22mm for £68 from ebay could have been £10 less from asia and I'm holding off on the adapter as I don't think I'll use it.

Sounds like a good deal. How does the Quidco thing work? It sounds complicated? I also couldn't see any mention of the £10 cash back on the Argos website? Maybe the offer ended?

I have a G15 and an Eos-M and for me they serve two entirely different remits. The G15 (like the G16) is very pocketable and this stays with me in the car or in a jacket pocket pretty much all the time. Its great for casual grab shots and is a very capable little camera capable of producing great images. So where does the EOS-M fit in ? Well for me its not a G15 replacement (with anything other than the 22 pancake its just not pocketable in the true meaning of the word) However if i am after image quality comparable to my SLR but without the bulk/weight for prolonged carrying around (think day trips, visits to gardens,Palaces,castles etc) then the Eos-M is ideal. Same sensor as a top end Canon crop body and a fraction of the size and weight. You lose some functionality over a full blown SLR but 95% of the time its as good as.
This is exactly where I see mine fitting in we have an S110 which goes everywhere with us as it takes great shots for such a tiny thing but there are occasions I want slr quality without the bulk!

I got fed up with the 90EX, so I picked up one of these: http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-sunpak-rd2000-canon/p1519626

It's obviously a bit bigger than the 90EX but doesn't look anything like as silly as when I popped a 600EX-RT on my M!

It's more powerful, well made, and most importantly for me it tilts upwards for bouncing....exposures seem pretty consistant too. Quite happy with it so far!

I got fed up with the 90EX, so I picked up one of these: http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-sunpak-rd2000-canon/p1519626

It's obviously a bit bigger than the 90EX but doesn't look anything like as silly as when I popped a 600EX-RT on my M!

It's more powerful, well made, and most importantly for me it tilts upwards for bouncing....exposures seem pretty consistant too. Quite happy with it so far!

Interesting option

So far I swap to the 270EX but have used 430EX when I need tilt. Might have a look at the Sunpak.

Steve

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm definitely coming around to the idea of the eos-m. I think it's the small form factor and the IQ that appeal. I'm guessing that even with the pancake lens and the 18MP sensor it's still possible to do a fair bit of cropping?

Sounds like a good deal. How does the Quidco thing work? It sounds complicated? I also couldn't see any mention of the £10 cash back on the Argos website? Maybe the offer ended?

Basically cropping of images from the 22mm is like any from an APS-C sensor. You get out what you put in.

The EF 40mm STM Pancake does a nice job too.

I think the Argos deal is still on but is not "cash back" it's a £10 in-store voucher when you spend £100+.

Steve

Basically cropping of images from the 22mm is like any from an APS-C sensor. You get out what you put in.

The EF 40mm STM Pancake does a nice job too.

I think the Argos deal is still on but is not "cash back" it's a £10 in-store voucher when you spend £100+.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I think I'm now sold. I'll pop into one of the stores near me and grab one, unless a good deal comes up on eBay.

What's everyone's thoughts on the AF, post firmware update? What's the AF like with EF lenses?

Thanks Steve, I think I'm now sold. I'll pop into one of the stores near me and grab one, unless a good deal comes up on eBay.

What's everyone's thoughts on the AF, post firmware update? What's the AF like with EF lenses?

I find it focuses quick on my EF 70-300 IS and same with the EF 40mm and nifty 50.

On the EF-S STM lens I have (10-18, 15-85, 18-135, 55-250) AF is very quick on the M.

If you buy from Argos it shojld have the latest Firmware installed.

Steve

The new ones come with the latest firmware. Focusing with the standard 18-55mm M lens is a bit sedate, but it is silent and accurate. It is faster with the EF-S and EF lenses I've tried, but still not as quick as my 50D.

Interesting option

So far I swap to the 270EX but have used 430EX when I need tilt. Might have a look at the Sunpak.

Steve

A small word of warning, if you buy a second hand one of these (or even new from an unscrupulous source) be sure that the firmware is up to date. Older models didnt work with some of the newer Canon models of the last few years and the firmware couild only be updated by sending back to Sunpak. The majority of new ones for sale should be fine but its always worth asking the question first then the onus is on the seller should it prove otherwise.

Quidco is really straight forward sign up, log in, search the shop you want to buy from and if they offer cash back click through a link. Only slight complication is it often works better if you clear your cookies first. For me it is a no brainer I use it for everything particularly insurance and utilities it means bt are effectively paying me 50 quid to use phone, Internet and tg this year (250 quid cash back plus 100 quid in sainsburys vouchers)

Interesting option

Steve

sunpack flash does look good, very compact, my 270 does vertical bounce so should suffice hopefully be interesting to see if my sigma 530dg super flash is compatible I have had it upgraded to work on my 5d mkii so fingers crossed

sunpack flash does look good, very compact, my 270 does vertical bounce so should suffice hopefully be interesting to see if my sigma 530dg super flash is compatible I have had it upgraded to work on my 5d mkii so fingers crossed

I only use the 430 for extra power for a couple of portraits I did of my grandchildren but normaĺy the 270 is enough. If I am out the 90 will have to do. I don't want to compromise the raison d'etre of the M set - lightweight....

The 90 is great and only a couple of times during my trip in September did I feel I needed more power.

Some really useful ideas and workarounds on this thread......

Steve

I've had a quick look at my shiny white EOS M, but not turned it on yet !! :confused:.. keep thinking do I really need it !? having already got a number of Fuji X cameras!?? :banghead: am tempted to give it to the "wife" for xmas ? ;)

I've had a quick look at my shiny white EOS M, but not turned it on yet !! :confused:.. keep thinking do I really need it !? having already got a number of Fuji X cameras!?? :banghead: am tempted to give it to the "wife" for xmas ? ;)

You mean "Keep it in arm's reach" really.... Test the 22mm..... go on ... I dare you!

Steve

You know you want to put the battery in and power it on!!! All for testing purposes of course!!! [emoji6]

You can never have too many cameras!!

You are right....

I still have and use my original M Kit

Pentax MX with Pentax M 40mm Pancake..... Well 2 MX 2 x ME Super etc

Steve

For those that have both the 22mm and the 18-55mm lenses. Is the 22 that much better?

It is a fantastic and very small lens. The quality of very small glass elements housed in a metal (aluminium) case makes it very discrete on tbe M body. On Ebay it can be bought from UK sourced stock for around £70 or £180 or higher from Amazon WEX etc

At f/2 it is great for low light whereas the kit zoom at 22mm is not as good but still a good lens. At f/3.5 at its widest it is not as good as the 22mm pancake.

For me the 22mm is my street walkabout.

Steve

It is a fantastic and very small lens. The quality of very small glass elements housed in a metal (aluminium) case makes it very discrete on tbe M body. On Ebay it can be bought from UK sourced stock for around £70 or £180 or higher from Amazon WEX etc

At f/2 it is great for low light whereas the kit zoom at 22mm is not as good but still a good lens. At f/3.5 at its widest it is not as good as the 22mm pancake.

For me the 22mm is my street walkabout.

Steve

Is the AF any better on the 22mm or is it comparable with the kit lens?

Is the AF any better on the 22mm or is it comparable with the kit lens?

TBH I use the 22mm pretty much all the time on one body and the other body carries the EF-S 15-85 STM 80% of the time now as I only got it recently off the forum. Prior to that it was the kit lens whicb did a great job.

I would say the 18-55mm M kit lens is a bit slower on AF than the 22mm but is still quick enough. The 22mm IMO is very quick. Others may feel otherwise.

The kit lens value for me is it's size. It was fantastic when I was on my European trip in September. It is still a discrete lens and sharp too. I have a trip to Canada planned for April and I think, for weight and comfort, it will be coming with me whilst the 15-85 will not.

So the 2 x M bodies, 22mm 18-55 kit + EF-S 10-18 and 55-250 will be my trip kit for Canada.

As for my DSLR kit........ it is under review and, currently 60/40 in favour of a sell off. It's in Canon's hands to expand the M range.

Steve

Last edited:
TBH I use the 22mm pretty much all the time on one body and the other body carries the EF-S 15-85 STM 80% of the time now as I only got it recently off the forum. Prior to that it was the kit lens whicb did a great job.

I would say the 18-55mm M kit lens is a bit slower on AF than the 22mm but is still quick enough. The 22mm IMO is very quick. Others may feel otherwise.

Thanks Steve, it's great to hear some real feedback from a user rather than a biased review. I'll be getting the kit lens and the 22mm pancake in the first instance. The 40mm pancake STM and adapter will probably follow after that.

It looks as though the Argos voucher is £10 off any future purchases. Is this correct? I'd rather get it off the camera there and then, as I don't shop there often.

Thanks Steve, it's great to hear some real feedback from a user rather than a biased review. I'll be getting the kit lens and the 22mm pancake in the first instance. The 40mm pancake STM and adapter will probably follow after that.

It looks as though the Argos voucher is £10 off any future purchases. Is this correct? I'd rather get it off the camera there and then, as I don't shop there often.

Sadly its future purchase.

In terms of the kit to purchase, the Argos £199 deal is for the M Body with the 18-55 lens, 90EX speedlight etc.

The 22mm kit is decidely dearer though Amazon had the White Body, 22mm Pancake and EF - EF-M adapter and 90EX speedlight for £206 for 12 hours last Friday, now £429 which wa the going rate. WEX have it at £329 today which is close to buying at Argos, adding the 22mm and adapter from EBay but coming out roughly the same price but with a Kit lens as extra.

Sadly the price movement is very dynamic. You could stick the kit lens up at £60 and have what you want for around the £270-280 mark and have the body colour choice too. I doubt that Argos will keep stock too much longer.

There are the M2 kits (released only in the Asian Market) on EBay but not seen the that cheap as they often have 3 lenses in them (22mm, 18-55, 11-22 + Adaptor + 90EX) for £700c (The 11-22 is £300+ on it's own)

That was roughly the UK kit price when originally released.

Might be time to bite the bullet?

Steve

That's a shame about the Amazon deal. I'm more interested in the 22mm lens than the kit lens so I wouldn't have cared what colour it was! Oh well.

Think I'll just head down Argos and get the standard kit in black before they sell out. I can get the 22mm after that, either second hand or new from China via eBay. The EF mount can wait as I'm in no rush for that just yet.

That's a shame about the Amazon deal. I'm more interested in the 22mm lens than the kit lens so I wouldn't have cared what colour it was! Oh well.

Think I'll just head down Argos and get the standard kit in black before they sell out. I can get the 22mm after that, either second hand or new from China via eBay. The EF mount can wait as I'm in no rush for that just yet.

You can get the 22mm UK stock off EBay for £60-70 .

My 22mm turned up a few days ago, cracking little lens going by the limited shots I've taken so far. I especially wanted it for indoor shots as it's fast and I'm not disappointed at all. I also tried it out for video and it's great.

I've ordered a shock mount for my Zoom H1 to try on the M, should make for a very good but compact set-up (fingers crossed).

If anyone is looking for a small bag I bought a Tamrac Rally Micro of eBay for £20. This fits the camera with 22mm fitted on one side with the 18-55 on the other and has enough room to fit the 11-22 stacked above the 18-55 (when I'm allowed the 11-22, it's here but my Xmas present). It also fits a couple of filters, spare batteries and the flash in the front pocket and my Zoom in the end pocket.

To complete the kit I ordered a travel tripod from 7 day shop for £38. I wasn't expecting much at this price but it's surprisingly stable (as well as small and light with it's own carry bag). The head wasn't great so I swapped it for a different ball head. I'll get a better idea when I try a few long exposure shots, hopefully over the weekend.

Compared to last year when I was carrying around my old 7d and a pile of heavy lenses along with a Manfrotto 055 tripod, my new M set-up is a dream and I absolutely love it. I was in two minds about going for mirrorless and it took me a long time to decide to try the M out. It was so the right decision for me.

Hopefully Canon will continue to support this format for many years to come. IMO it's the future.

You can get the 22mm UK stock off EBay for £60-70 .

Perfect.

Does anyone have any recommendations for third party batteries?

Saw these on Amazon:

DSTE® 2pcs LP-E12 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery for Canon EOS M, EOS Rebel SL1, EOS 100D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LAZOOWE/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_kxBIub18CYX9G

They are decoded and can be used in the original charger.

2300mAh (as opposed to 700 odd of the original battery) and two batteries for £12. Not bad really.

If anyone is looking for a small bag I bought a Tamrac Rally Micro of eBay for £20. This fits the camera with 22mm fitted on one side with the 18-55 on the other and has enough room to fit the 11-22 stacked above the 18-55 (when I'm allowed the 11-22, it's here but my Xmas present). It also fits a couple of filters, spare batteries and the flash in the front pocket and my Zoom in the end pocket.
Going to check this bag out, as was just hunting round the internet wondering what would fit!!

Does anyone have any recommendations for third party batteries?

Saw these on Amazon:

DSTE® 2pcs LP-E12 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery for Canon EOS M, EOS Rebel SL1, EOS 100D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LAZOOWE/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_kxBIub18CYX9G

They are decoded and can be used in the original charger.

2300mAh (as opposed to 700 odd of the original battery) and two batteries for £12. Not bad really.

They are the same ones I bought (4 of them) and I've had no problems with them. They last roughly the same number of shots as the original Canon battery.

They are the same ones I bought (4 of them) and I've had no problems with them. They last roughly the same number of shots as the original Canon battery.

That's good to know, thanks.

Thinking of flogging my M to EFS mount adaptor. Still haven't used it after all these months and just can't see me getting round to it.

The 22mm hasn't been off the camera since the day it arrived in the post!

Thinking of flogging my M to EFS mount adaptor. Still haven't used it after all these months and just can't see me getting round to it.

The 22mm hasn't been off the camera since the day it arrived in the post!
Exactly why I haven't bothered getting one I can't see much other than the 22mm getting a look in!

Unless canon release a 16mm or 30mm pancake!

Last edited:
Back