Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Just got an R7 and a RF16 f/2.8 to use the camera and get familiar with it until I get the (out of stock) adapter for my EF & EF-S lenses - also got an 85mm f/2 IS Macro on order.

It's going to take a bit of getting used to and there are things that I really like about it (eye tracking af) First impression for landscape is I don't think it will make my 6D2 redundant.... however the couple landscapes I shot with it were hand held and using af...

The camera wasn't bought with the intention of landscape photography but I will test drive it (on landscape) with a Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 when I have the adapter. It's more for the eye tracking af in sporting scenario with lenses I know are sharp. So we shall see.... as i want to shoot the lenses wide open which is more diffiult with the 6D2 when subjects aren't motionless.

Images uploaded are resized to go on the forum.

I am sure now that I have since figured out the manual focusing that I can get the landscapes better....

Attachments

• 0D3A0084_RS.jpg
    0D3A0084_RS.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 19
  • 0D3A0083_RS.jpg
    0D3A0083_RS.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 19
I bought an r7 a few weeks ago, I bought a Neewer ef-r mount adapter. It works flawlessly and is well built, i think I paid about £75. Unless you want an adapter with a control ring, I don't think you gain anything by going with the canon adapter, other than a larger hole in your bank account. :)

Canon have finally allowed Sigma to produce APS-C lenses in the RF mount. I interpret this to mean Canon will not invest too much R&D into future crop sensor lenses but potentially good news for R7 users - price, quality etc https://www.dpreview.com/news/8845986526/sigma-announces-six-aps-c-lenses-for-canon-rf-mount
Came here to say the same, not tons of work for Sigma, and a boon for all those new APSC R buyers.
Would have been nice to see at least one RF FF lens on the list, just to let us feel like it was gonna happen at some point.

in the RF mount
Actually looks like only rf-s mount, or the segment canon had no interest or care of filling.
I'm not sure this is too encouraging for the rest of us. Probably l mount may sooner become the best choice before we see RF arts

Canon have finally allowed Sigma to produce APS-C lenses in the RF mount. I interpret this to mean Canon will not invest too much R&D into future crop sensor lenses but potentially good news for R7 users - price, quality etc https://www.dpreview.com/news/8845986526/sigma-announces-six-aps-c-lenses-for-canon-rf-mount

Sigma 56mm f/1.4 will have me flexing the plastic to mount on an R7. I could probably be tempted with the 18-50 f/2.8 for some landscape, as I rarely shoot below 28mm for landscape.

Came here to say the same, not tons of work for Sigma, and a boon for all those new APSC R buyers.
Would have been nice to see at least one RF FF lens on the list, just to let us feel like it was gonna happen at some point.

I'm glad to see some decent glass come out for the crop cameras... there's an abundance of it for FF!

Actually looks like only rf-s mount, or the segment canon had no interest or care of filling.
I'm not sure this is too encouraging for the rest of us. Probably l mount may sooner become the best choice before we see RF arts

It's a shame Canon don't cater for the [landscape] crop market with some really top quality glass, especially when they have an R7 body that could really excel with rf-s glass in L guise... instead they bring out an rf-s 10-18 cheapo lens.

Sigma 56mm f/1.4 will have me flexing the plastic to mount on an R7. I could probably be tempted with the 18-50 f/2.8 for some landscape, as I rarely shoot below 28mm for landscape.

I'm glad to see some decent glass come out for the crop cameras... there's an abundance of it for FF!

It's a shame Canon don't cater for the [landscape] crop market with some really top quality glass, especially when they have an R7 body that could really excel with rf-s glass in L guise... instead they bring out an rf-s 10-18 cheapo lens.
TBF if you listen to some people Canon have only made crap lenses for everyone, inc FF.

In reality though, they’ve clearly decided to effectively outsource quality RF-S lens production. They’ve looked at their sales for decent EF-S and M mount lenses and decided that there’s no ROI in the market.

It’s interesting that before they’d launched the RF-S cameras, they’d announced to row back on the decision not to licence the RF mount. And further interesting to say that they were only interested in 3rd party mfrs making lenses that wouldn’t directly compete with any Canon offerings.

So there’ll be no Sigma RF 135 f1.8, and no Canon 17-55 2.8.

That’s still a shame for those of us who’d buy a couple of Art primes for FF.

TBF if you listen to some people Canon have only made crap lenses for everyone, inc FF.

Maybe either they are Nikon / Olympus or Sony owners, (no offence meant guys by saying that).... however there are some crap lenses in their RF line-up for sure which is at the lower price end of the market - the small (50mm, 16mm) primes are nothing special and the RF 15-30 is rather slow for a lens with not much zoom on it. The really good lenses are mega expensive - 135 f/1.8 = £2600 UK - 85 f/1.2 £3000 UK. And Canon are notoriously expensive for their fast glass.

In reality though, they’ve clearly decided to effectively outsource quality RF-S lens production. They’ve looked at their sales for decent EF-S and M mount lenses and decided that there’s no ROI in the market.

Probably because they overcharge for their lenses. Sigma's ART lenses on EF mount are incredibly tempting at a far less painful price point - and certainly no worse on IQ than L glass.

EDIT: I do appreciate that many crop camera buyers only interested in kit lenses. However the R7 is worthy of really good glass.

It’s interesting that before they’d launched the RF-S cameras, they’d announced to row back on the decision not to licence the RF mount. And further interesting to say that they were only interested in 3rd party mfrs making lenses that wouldn’t directly compete with any Canon offerings.

That doesn't surprise me when the likes of Sigma make comparable lenses at a more reasonable price point.

Which is a shame.

Absolutely.

Last edited:

I own the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 Contemporary for my Sony A6600 and it is a great little lens. Canon make nothing like this for my R7 which loves tele zoom L glass. When I go out on shoots I have to take my A6600 with the 18-50 f2.8, and my R7 with a big lens on because I have no short focal length lenses for my R7, So packing light is not quite happening at the moment which one should be doing owning a crop sensor body.

I can understand canon not producing lenses like what sigma have announced as the cost of R&D, marketing, actual low selling price just will not yield a good return. Unlike the more very expensive RF FF L lenses on expensive FF RF mount bodies. Very much for the people with deeper pockets than me,...lol !

It would be great if Canon allowed Sigma to make 85 f1.8, 70-300 f2.8 or a RF 150-600 C ( or even convert EF mount to RF service ) would be great addition !

It seems Canon are not really interested in APS-C cameras, and lenses as the R7 should have has a better sensor than raiding the parts shelf with existing sensor. However, I suspect the R7 Mkii will be a big improvement for us APS-C users !

Does any know if a sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 dc macro os hsm is suitable for the R7 with such high mega pixel sensor ! ?

Canon have finally allowed Sigma to produce APS-C lenses in the RF mount.
Or Sigma have finally decided to (pay to?) license the spec of the RF mount rather than reverse-engineering as they did with the EF

Or Sigma have finally decided to (pay to?) license the spec of the RF mount rather than reverse-engineering as they did with the EF
I suspect as the EF mount has been around for a very long time sigma have had the time to reverse engineer the mount.
I believe Canon are going to be strict about guarding their RF mount to third parties, and we should not be surprised as they are a business out to make money.
Thing is I can not afford new RF L lenses and will be looking out for used ones in a few years,..lol

For sure - it took quite a while for any third party EF lenses to appear (I seem to remember it was 1990/91 and the EF mount came out in 1987 - with no adaptor for the FD it replaced. Dark times for a poor student who'd just erroneously taken the EOS plunge. Still have my original EF 50mm f/1.8 though. Still gets the occasional trip out even if the AF sounds like a band saw compared to the new STM/USM ones

For sure - it took quite a while for any third party EF lenses to appear (I seem to remember it was 1990/91 and the EF mount came out in 1987 - with no adaptor for the FD it replaced. Dark times for a poor student who'd just erroneously taken the EOS plunge. Still have my original EF 50mm f/1.8 though. Still gets the occasional trip out even if the AF sounds like a band saw compared to the new STM/USM ones
To be honest the STM noise is not far off. I had the lens too ...

Back