Canon EOS R Series Cameras

I’ve currently got the RF 14-35 f4 on test drive hire from canon. Unfortunately it seems to be a really nice lens (I was kind of hoping it would be awful and I wouldn’t want one as it would save some cash and not make me have to decide between it and the 25-105 f4 I already have). The extra mm past 24mm helped get a wider view on Curbar edge this morning, just a shame there was absolutely no light.

for this reason I’m keeping with EF 16-35 2.8. I’m still to take the plunge with any of the RF lenses.
I can’t blame the lack of sunlight on the lens. Even well composed landscapes are flat and boring if there’s no light.

I don’t blame anyone who’s already got EF lenses not buying RF equivalent lenses. I didn’t have any EF lenses as I moved from Sony. For me it seems a bit daft if I buy EF lenses when I’m in the RF system and looking to keep long term.

I was looking to replace my 24-70 and 70-200 with their RF equivalents, I've since noticed that the RF 24-70 is heavier, so I'll keep the EF for the time being I think.

I can’t blame the lack of sunlight on the lens. Even well composed landscapes are flat and boring if there’s no light.

I don’t blame anyone who’s already got EF lenses not buying RF equivalent lenses. I didn’t have any EF lenses as I moved from Sony. For me it seems a bit daft if I buy EF lenses when I’m in the RF system and looking to keep long term.

Buy used EF as the used market will be full as owners sell them off to fund RF glass as that is what I am hoping for ! lol

Last edited:
Has anyone moved from a 5D Mark IV to an R series camera? If so, which one and how have you found it?

I'm thinking of doing this, and the most obvious choice seems to be the R5, but I'm really surprised by how much it is after having been out for a couple of years. The thing that really gets me though is the price of the new lenses. Ouch. So, I guess experiences of those who've swapped to a mirrorless body but are using their EF glass would be good to know. Does it obviate the point of getting the body if you're not using the 'matching' lenses (either in terms of weight, balance, performance etc.)?

Has anyone moved from a 5D Mark IV to an R series camera? If so, which one and how have you found it?

I'm thinking of doing this, and the most obvious choice seems to be the R5, but I'm really surprised by how much it is after having been out for a couple of years. The thing that really gets me though is the price of the new lenses. Ouch. So, I guess experiences of those who've swapped to a mirrorless body but are using their EF glass would be good to know. Does it obviate the point of getting the body if you're not using the 'matching' lenses (either in terms of weight, balance, performance etc.)?
Hi py6km, I moved from 5D Mark IV to the original R and then added R5. I only have EF lenses. With the RF to EF adaptor, the EF lenses work perfectly. Canon helped a lot with that. With the improved AF capabilities of the R and R5, the results are more reliable than the 5DM4. If the R5 price is a bit steep, try the R6? In my case, for events and sports I'm reaching for the R5 almost every time. I still have the 1DXM2 which sometimes has the edge for low-light sports. If you're shooting landscapes maybe the new features won't add much.

Has anyone received their R7 in the last few weeks or been given an indication of when?

Has anyone received their R7 in the last few weeks or been given an indication of when?

My pre-order is with Park cameras, I have emailed them a few times and get a different answer with each reply. Phoned them yesterday to order a lens and was told they are working on orders from the end of May (mine was 31st May) but when I pushed further she wouldn't give any more info.

Total joke IMO but it seems to be the way things are these days.

I have had an R6 since about April 2021. I ran it alongside my 1dx2, leaving the 5d4 at home [shooting basketball indoors]. The resolution was about the same and it was good in the low light. The project I was running was completed in the spring of this year and I sold the 1dx2 as the FPS for the R6 were more than enough. I guess a key question is what will you want it for? I have decided against shelling out for the R3 as I want resolution in my second camera body. I suspect that the R5 will became my main body [when it gets here] and the R6 will be the main body when I shoot NBL indoors [keeps the size of folder of files under control too]. The thing that tipped me over was doing what my very wise wife suggested ie shooting with the R6 exclusively since early summer. We were away in Seahouses last week and I used the 5D4 a couple of times and I found myself missing things that I had grown accustomed to. I never thought I would dispatch my 5D4 but it felt limiting last week. Hope that helps.

I sent an e mail to Cliffton last week and was informed they receive axp 6 R7's a month and my order was on the last day for the free adapter, so I am hoping I get mind for Xams day ! !

My pre-order is with Park cameras, I have emailed them a few times and get a different answer with each reply. Phoned them yesterday to order a lens and was told they are working on orders from the end of May (mine was 31st May) but when I pushed further she wouldn't give any more info.

Total joke IMO but it seems to be the way things are these days.

I sent an e mail to Cliffton last week and was informed they receive axp 6 R7's a month and my order was on the last day for the free adapter, so I am hoping I get mind for Xams day ! !

I feel sorry for you guys, Canon have seriously messed up and/or are taking their customer loyalty to extremes. I just hope the camera lives up to expectations when you eventually receive yours.

Bird photography is my favourite genre so the tracking ability of the R7 is seriously tempting. If there are pulsing problems with the Sigma 150-600 which are not resolved with a firmware update it means I will need to use another shorter Canon lens or buy a new one, or use a converter which I am not keen on doing. I’m not sure I can justify the cost.

It does seem that they are playing hardball on the RF lenses by not allowing [by sharing something I guess] 3rd party lenses. It is a tad vexing.

It does seem that they are playing hardball on the RF lenses by not allowing [by sharing something I guess] 3rd party lenses. It is a tad vexing.
It Makes me even less likely to consider buying anything canon in the future.

How long before they start hindering and disabling 3rd party EF lenses which they actually have been actively doing all this time? And then the ones made by themselves?!

I feel sorry for you guys, Canon have seriously messed up and/or are taking their customer loyalty to extremes. I just hope the camera lives up to expectations when you eventually receive yours.

Bird photography is my favourite genre so the tracking ability of the R7 is seriously tempting. If there are pulsing problems with the Sigma 150-600 which are not resolved with a firmware update it means I will need to use another shorter Canon lens or buy a new one, or use a converter which I am not keen on doing. I’m not sure I can justify the cost.

I will wait for the R7 as most people know from the YouTube reviews the animal eye detect is pretty damn good and that is what we are paying for for £1,349 ( plus free adapter, worth £199 ) and we will not get that tech in a cheap ish camera body from canon. I have a Sony A6600 which has Animal & Human eye detect AF and it is pretty good, however what I do not have is tele glass from Sony, i.e 100-400, 70-300, 600 prime etc as I only have few E mount glass.
I do have canon EF glass, 70-300L IS USM and Sigma 150-600 C which I have mounted to the Sony A6600 via sigma MC-11 adapter, and they work very well. AF is slower than on a canon body and AF is not quite edge to edge, though still very workable.

The pulsing on the Sigma 150-600 is on all R series cameras and an issue Sigma know about, as I phoned them a few weeks ago and I was told in single shot mode the lens works fine. It is the AF system on the R cameras is the issue with the 150-600 C
main reason being Canon do not release technical data to third party lens like Sony have done for their E mount.
I will still continue to use my 150-600 C as for the money I can not get any canon with that reach for the price. Even the RF 800mm f11 is apx £1,100 which is still very good value for the reach, however no fast enough for most sports & wildlife !

I think this is where the real money / profit is buy selling cameras bodies like R8 & R10 cheaply people will buy into R glass ! !

The pulsing on the Sigma 150-600 is on all R series cameras and an issue Sigma know about, as I phoned them a few weeks ago and I was told in single shot mode the lens works fine.
That is good to know. Did they give any indication of a fix being worked on for other modes?

I will wait for the R7 as most people know from the YouTube reviews the animal eye detect is pretty damn good and that is what we are paying for for £1,349 ( plus free adapter, worth £199 ) and we will not get that tech in a cheap ish camera body from canon. I have a Sony A6600 which has Animal & Human eye detect AF and it is pretty good, however what I do not have is tele glass from Sony, i.e 100-400, 70-300, 600 prime etc as I only have few E mount glass.
I do have canon EF glass, 70-300L IS USM and Sigma 150-600 C which I have mounted to the Sony A6600 via sigma MC-11 adapter, and they work very well. AF is slower than on a canon body and AF is not quite edge to edge, though still very workable.

The pulsing on the Sigma 150-600 is on all R series cameras and an issue Sigma know about, as I phoned them a few weeks ago and I was told in single shot mode the lens works fine. It is the AF system on the R cameras is the issue with the 150-600 C
main reason being Canon do not release technical data to third party lens like Sony have done for their E mount.
I will still continue to use my 150-600 C as for the money I can not get any canon with that reach for the price. Even the RF 800mm f11 is apx £1,100 which is still very good value for the reach, however no fast enough for most sports & wildlife !
This was sadly always a possibility with third party lenses reverse engineered for Canon DSLRs. If I remember correctly neither canon or Nikon ever shared their mount engineering information with third party manufacturers. The third party manufactures always had to reverse engineer their lenses. Those DSLR reverse engineered lenses weren’t ever designed for mirrorless cameras hence the possibility there would be some difficulty in ensuring they work perfectly with mirrorless cameras AF systems. There was always a risk third party lenses wouldn’t play nicely with new canon camera releases even before mirrorless.

Sony have gone about it very differently as they've released their mount engineering information to third parties. Id guess part of the reason for that is they were playing catch up on the huge lens back catalogue canon and Nikon had. If I remember correctly Tamron are owned by Sony so it was in a way to sony’s benefit. Canon and Nikon get less benefit by providing the same information to third parties so probably won’t ever provide it.

hopefully sigma can do something with a firmware update. There is an issue that canon don’t do any cheaper long lenses other than the 100-500 (which isn’t cheap!). I can’t potentially see a cheaper longer but slower zoom lens coming in the future. There is the 100-400 STM lens range so they could do a f8-f11 aperture range in a 100-500 or 200-600 focal length.

This was sadly always a possibility with third party lenses reverse engineered for Canon DSLRs. If I remember correctly neither canon or Nikon ever shared their mount engineering information with third party manufacturers. The third party manufactures always had to reverse engineer their lenses. Those DSLR reverse engineered lenses weren’t ever designed for mirrorless cameras hence the possibility there would be some difficulty in ensuring they work perfectly with mirrorless cameras AF systems. There was always a risk third party lenses wouldn’t play nicely with new canon camera releases even before mirrorless.

Do all Sigma lenses have a problem with Canon mirrorless camera? I have only researched the 100-600 C as that is the only FF Sigma lens I have.

Sony have gone about it very differently as they've released their mount engineering information to third parties. Id guess part of the reason for that is they were playing catch up on the huge lens back catalogue canon and Nikon had. If I remember correctly Tamron are owned by Sony so it was in a way to sony’s benefit. Canon and Nikon get less benefit by providing the same information to third parties so probably won’t ever provide it.

hopefully sigma can do something with a firmware update. There is an issue that canon don’t do any cheaper long lenses other than the 100-500 (which isn’t cheap!). I can’t potentially see a cheaper longer but slower zoom lens coming in the future. There is the 100-400 STM lens range so they could do a f8-f11 aperture range in a 100-500 or 200-600 focal length.

Finally got my email to say my r7 with 18-150 as been dispatched by canon and on way to shop. So hopefully it gets here soon. Apparently I was number 19 on pre order so taken a while.

Out of curiousity I've just booked loan through the Test Drive service of an R5, a 100-500 L and an EF-R adaptor for the weekend after next. I'm at Donington Park that weekend, so will be able to give it a test drive and compare against current kit 1DX2/7D2 and 100-400L. The deposit for those three items is £ 1788 but they also include an appropriate memory card, card reader.

Last edited:
Out of curiousity I've just booked loan through the Test Drive service of an R5, a 100-500 L and an EF-R adaptor for the weekend after next. I'm at Donington Park that weekend, so will be able to give it a test drive and compare against current kit 1DX2/7D2 and 100-400L. The deposit for those three items is £ 1788 but they also include an appropriate memory card, card reader.
I will be very interested to read your thoughts. Just switched to mirrorless and my R5 arrived yesterday. I have my eye on the 100-500 as I found having the 70-200 I didn't use the 100-400ii that often and I traded it - not that these have been normal times so hearing whether the extra reach is a game changer or not will be really helpful.

I will be very interested to read your thoughts. Just switched to mirrorless and my R5 arrived yesterday. I have my eye on the 100-500 as I found having the 70-200 I didn't use the 100-400ii that often and I traded it - not that these have been normal times so hearing whether the extra reach is a game changer or not will be really helpful.
Most of my photographic work is sports related. For motorsport, I tend to use the 1DX2 coupled with the 100-400 L II, and for athletics, the 1DX2 with 70-200 L II. The 7D2 is a backup camera, usually with a different lens attached, but occassionally I use it as the primary body rather than a teleconverter. Given that mirrorless is the future, and I've had the 7D2 for 6 years and the 1DX2 for 4, so they're getting due for a replacement.

Being able to compare the 100-400L wth the 100-500L would be interesting too.

Most of my photographic work is sports related. For motorsport, I tend to use the 1DX2 coupled with the 100-400 L II, and for athletics, the 1DX2 with 70-200 L II. The 7D2 is a backup camera, usually with a different lens attached, but occassionally I use it as the primary body rather than a teleconverter. Given that mirrorless is the future, and I've had the 7D2 for 6 years and the 1DX2 for 4, so they're getting due for a replacement.

Being able to compare the 100-400L wth the 100-500L would be interesting too.
I used the 1dx2 for an indoor sport [basketball] project for 6 years; it was a very reliable beast but too heavy for my shoulder with thee 70-200. I added the R6 and ttraded my 70-200 for an RF 70-200 and it is lighter than the 1dx2 w EF24-70. I decided to move the 1dx2 on as the R6 was doing a good job. Myy 400 doii is great for BIF but that extra reach when I can't tale the 400 could be a deal maker. I may use the r5 for sport outside but mainly for its resolution for my personal work as I move on and also for birds - love the Bewicks at winter.

Last edited:
Let me know how you get on. I've had my 1DX for over 10 years now so I'm well overdue an update.

I've just received my R3, and find that the supplied manual is pretty basic. I've found the Canon R3 more detailed guide online, but as I'm old fashioned and prefer paper can anyone recommend a suitable book which covers the R3 in more depth? I'm not just looking for a settings guide, more something that will tell me what each of the multiple modes/settings actually does, so I can take an informed decision as to what settings to use.

I will and find out what number I am with Cliffton cameras as I ordered my R7 on the last day for the free adapter ! ! !
I was in Clifton today and asked about this thing - launching cameras without enough stock - 6 months for the R7 was mentioned.

Canon USA

Canon warns again about product shortages and supply issues:​

Apology and information regarding product supply status

Updated: August 8, 2022
Thank you for your continued patronage of Canon products.
Currently, we have received more orders than expected for each of the following products, and due to the global supply of parts, there is a delay in delivery .
our customers wait so long. We will continue to take measures for stable product supply so that we can deliver products as soon as possible. Thank you kindly look forward for your understanding.
Shortage of Supply due to high-demand
EOS R3
Canon EOS R5C
Canon EOS R7
RF400mm F2.8L IS USM
RF800mm F5.6L IS USM
RF1200mm F8 L IS USM
Multi-accessory shoe shoe cover
ER-SC2
Multi-accessory shoe shoe cover
ER-SC1
We are planning to ship in order, but it may take longer than usual to deliver.

Can’t quite believe there’s high demand of nearly £20k lenses unless they just thought they would only sell a couple!
When me and a couple of others tried to explain why that £20k lens is a relative bargain, we were mocked by a few on here.

When me and a couple of others tried to explain why that £20k lens is a relative bargain, we were mocked by a few on here.
As a tool for work I’m sure it does make sense. I can’t see demand will be high outside professional photographers/agencies. There probably aren’t as many amateurs that will stretch to £20k lens for a hobby, whereas there was quite a few that could when they were £6-7k (not exactly sure what the price has been over recent years). Making the pool smaller (professionals only) should lower effectively demand unless those professionals are upgrading equipment that is possibly many generations old.

The global parts supply is likely to be a bigger factor in the supply of new products than they are saying it is. It sounds better from a marketing view point to say you’ve been overwhelmed by high demand for your new products than to say it’s due to a components shortage. That component shortage is affecting businesses around the world. I know from my work ordering electronic equipment that lead times are very high (over a year in some cases) and we aren’t planning on those lead times being met either.

As a tool for work I’m sure it does make sense. I can’t see demand will be high outside professional photographers/agencies. There probably aren’t as many amateurs that will stretch to £20k lens for a hobby, whereas there was quite a few that could when they were £6-7k (not exactly sure what the price has been over recent years). Making the pool smaller (professionals only) should lower effectively demand unless those professionals are upgrading equipment that is possibly many generations old.

The global parts supply is likely to be a bigger factor in the supply of new products than they are saying it is. It sounds better from a marketing view point to say you’ve been overwhelmed by high demand for your new products than to say it’s due to a components shortage. That component shortage is affecting businesses around the world. I know from my work ordering electronic equipment that lead times are very high (over a year in some cases) and we aren’t planning on those lead times being met either.
The previous 1200mm was circa £60k and had been for over 20 years.

It’s a highly specialised lens, never designed for the likes of you and I

Back