Canon lens dilemma - Telephoto for wildlife, advice needed!

Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

I need some advice. I will be heading to Papua New Guinea in September on a photography expedition with Wanderlust Travel Magazine and PNG Tourism UK. This is a competition prize from the Wanderlust Travel Photo of the Year 2012 (http://www.wanderlust.co.uk/magazin...r-up-olympic-tower-bridge-london-england/1822). We will be going into the rainforest and, hopefully, seeing some birds of paradise.

I haven't ever done any wildlife photography and don't currently have a lens to suit it - my lenses consist of Canon 15-85mm, 10-20mm, and 50mm, on a 7D. These lenses will be ideal for the landscapes and general travel photos but I need something to cover the longer range.

Now I would like to get a telephoto zoom lens prior to going, ideally within the next week or two so I can have some practice. I have considered renting, however this would be expensive and a risk going somewhere tropical etc.

So, with a preferable budget of around £200, what would you all suggest?

I have read decent reviews of the Canon EF-S 55-250mm, currently around £150.

Do you think it would be worth pushing the budget a bit? I know cheaper lens are generally cheap for a reason, however I can't stretch the budget too far.

Any suggestions and advice are welcome! I imagine I would resell the lens upon returning.

Thanks,
Steve

I use pretty much the same lens as you...the 15-85 and the 10-20 and was pretty pleased how the 55-250 performed, ive upgraded to the 70-200 which obviously is going to be a better lens, as with most things in life it comes down to how much you want to pay.
Have you looked at the 2nd hand stuff in the classifieds here?

The 55-250 is certainly a decent enough lens for the money but, in absolute terms, there are obviously better options.

If the trip is one of those "once in a lifetime" types then maybe it's worth considering renting something more expensive just for the trip, such as one of Canon's 70-200s or the 70-300L?

I use pretty much the same lens as you...the 15-85 and the 10-20 and was pretty pleased how the 55-250 performed, ive upgraded to the 70-200 which obviously is going to be a better lens, as with most things in life it comes down to how much you want to pay.
Have you looked at the 2nd hand stuff in the classifieds here?

Thanks for the quick reply. Are there any limitations with the 55-250?

I have had a look at the classifieds here, most zoom lenses are out of my budget unfortunately.

The 55-250 is certainly a decent enough lens for the money but, in absolute terms, there are obviously better options.

If the trip is one of those "once in a lifetime" types then maybe it's worth considering renting something more expensive just for the trip, such as one of Canon's 70-200s or the 70-300L?

Tricky really, as I haven't done wildlife photography before it's really about having a lens just in case. My main interest is general travel photography, which I will be spoilt for choice with in PNG. However if we were to go out and see some birds of paradise it would be good to have the option to try and capture them.

I wonder if the 55-250mm on a 7D would be good enough for this?

I agree about the 'once in a lifetime' trip, however renting a lens for 2 weeks will come to approx. £180. At least if I was to buy a lens I may be able to get most of the money back from re-selling.

At around that budget, you may also want to look at used Canon 70-300 USM and Tamron 70-300 VC. They are longer, have better build, and have faster AF, all of which are good for wildlife. I still use my Tamron often when I don't want to carry heavier lenses.

If its any help heres one taken with mine, i have thought about putting it in the classifieds.
Its a pretty sharp lens but even at 250mm you're not going to get in real close unless the subject/animal etc is fairly close by.

Cambridge rooftops2 by martyndt, on Flickr

Last edited:
Whilst the 55-250 is a reasonable lens for the money, you could find yourself undergunned for shooting birds, The minimum is usually 400mm and longer is better. Hiring would seem to be the best option unless you know that you can get really close to your target. How are your fieldcraft skills.

Is there any way you can stretch your budget for a couple of months?

It may be worth considering buying a 2nd hand lens like the canon 100-400mm. Admittedly its way above budget for now, about £750 used, but you could sell it on your return for minimal, if any, loss, and is almost like a free rental.

Mike

If you are planning to buy, then sell then you'll lose little money on a secondhand 100-400 and this is an excellent lens. You'll be glad of the extra reach, especially on a crop camera.

If you are planning to buy, then sell then you'll lose little money on a secondhand 100-400 and this is an excellent lens. You'll be glad of the extra reach, especially on a crop camera.

This. If your going away for a couple of weeks you'll almost certainly loose less on a second hand 100-400mm L than the cost of renting it. Don't forget to check your travel insurance will cover all your gear.

At around that budget, you may also want to look at used Canon 70-300 USM and Tamron 70-300 VC. They are longer, have better build, and have faster AF, all of which are good for wildlife. I still use my Tamron often when I don't want to carry heavier lenses.

Thanks for the suggestions, both tempting. Would I be right in saying that these lenses on a crop would mean the equivalent of 480mm at the longest?

Whilst the 55-250 is a reasonable lens for the money, you could find yourself undergunned for shooting birds, The minimum is usually 400mm and longer is better. Hiring would seem to be the best option unless you know that you can get really close to your target. How are your fieldcraft skills.

I'm not sure what the full itinerary is yet, just awaiting confirmation. We may not actually go on any trips to see the birdlife etc., it may just be that we are in the jungle where they are. Hence the 'just in case' need for a lens.

Is there any way you can stretch your budget for a couple of months?

It may be worth considering buying a 2nd hand lens like the canon 100-400mm. Admittedly its way above budget for now, about £750 used, but you could sell it on your return for minimal, if any, loss, and is almost like a free rental.

Mike

This. If your going away for a couple of weeks you'll almost certainly loose less on a second hand 100-400mm L than the cost of renting it. Don't forget to check your travel insurance will cover all your gear.

Thanks for the suggestions. The 100-400mm would be a good choice, but the weight of the lens is my main issue, especially with all my other gear and tripod etc. A smaller lighter lens would be preferable.

Would I be right in saying that these lenses on a crop would mean the equivalent of 480mm at the longest?

Yes. Focal length is always quoted as real focal length. The 35mm-equivalent field of view on Canon APS-C cameras is always 1.6x quoted focal length.

For birds and wildlife, you will always wish for longer focal length. However, if you want something relatively light-weighted, you will not find anything longer than 300mm. With 250/300mm, you will find many cases where you need to crop a lot, but as long as you don't expect miracle, it should be good as a backup. You can improve by trying to get as close as possible instead.

Just a reminder: No matter which lens you pick, you should do some practice sessions with taking telephoto shots of moving subjects to get more familiar with it. For example, you may need to do micro focus adjustment. Some lenses would be sharper if you stop down a little from wide open, so you may want to know which aperture to use to benefit from the extra sharpness. The skill for wildlife photo could be different from landscape as well.

Yes. Focal length is always quoted as real focal length. The 35mm-equivalent field of view on Canon APS-C cameras is always 1.6x quoted focal length.

For birds and wildlife, you will always wish for longer focal length. However, if you want something relatively light-weighted, you will not find anything longer than 300mm. With 250/300mm, you will find many cases where you need to crop a lot, but as long as you don't expect miracle, it should be good as a backup. You can improve by trying to get as close as possible instead.

Just a reminder: No matter which lens you pick, you should do some practice sessions with taking telephoto shots of moving subjects to get more familiar with it. For example, you may need to do micro focus adjustment. Some lenses would be sharper if you stop down a little from wide open, so you may want to know which aperture to use to benefit from the extra sharpness. The skill for wildlife photo could be different from landscape as well.

Thanks for the info, very helpful. I understand the limitations and think may be the 300mm would be the most suitable compromise.

Yes, I definitely will practice beforehand, I have very little use with telephoto zooms. I'm planning on a trip to London Zoo - could possibly provide some practice and close to home!

I'm a big fan of my 55-250 and quite often use it as my default.
I too recommend practice with any lens, as far as birds are concerned there's nowt wrong with shooting pidgeons (in either sense), get your WB right for a grey blob and wait for the asthmatic vermin to fly off

BB

I'm a big fan of my 55-250 and quite often use it as my default.
I too recommend practice with any lens, as far as birds are concerned there's nowt wrong with shooting pidgeons (in either sense), get your WB right for a grey blob and wait for the asthmatic vermin to fly off

BB

Good idea, plenty of pigeons around London!!!

Congratulations on your win.have you thought about renting a lens for the duration of your holiday rather than buying one?

To buy and keep: if you could stretch budget to Canon 70-300 IS or a bit more for 70-200 f/4 L (secondhand £ 300-350) then do so.

Alternatively if you can blow budget on a temporary basis to resell afterwards, the 100-400L would be a good versatile lens - the danger is you will want to keep it.

Once in a lifetime trip!!! ok if it where me I would want the best I could as I would not be going back.

How would you feel going all that way to find you got nothing worth keeping as you did not have the length.
why not just take the 15.85, and the 7D but hire a 100-400 or like said buy one and re sell.
Put the 100-400 in your hold luggage if the weight is going to be too much for hand luggage, I have done that and wrapped it in towls or cloths.
even birds of paradise are small and could be up in trees etc.

Congratulations on your win.have you thought about renting a lens for the duration of your holiday rather than buying one?

Thanks :) See above posts re. renting. I would also constantly worry having a rented lens (damage, insurance...)

To buy and keep: if you could stretch budget to Canon 70-300 IS or a bit more for 70-200 f/4 L (secondhand £ 300-350) then do so.

Alternatively if you can blow budget on a temporary basis to resell afterwards, the 100-400L would be a good versatile lens - the danger is you will want to keep it.

I'm seriously considering the 70-300 IS. For general wildlife I'm sure this would do - I have to be realistic, I'm not going to become an expert in wildlife photography within the next 6 weeks therefore as long as I have a lens that can help with getting some wildlife shots I'll be happy, whether it be birds, monkeys, etc etc. I guess the added bonus with this lens would be for people and portraits as I know we will be visiting tribes.

Once in a lifetime trip!!! ok if it where me I would want the best I could as I would not be going back.

How would you feel going all that way to find you got nothing worth keeping as you did not have the length.
why not just take the 15.85, and the 7D but hire a 100-400 or like said buy one and re sell.
Put the 100-400 in your hold luggage if the weight is going to be too much for hand luggage, I have done that and wrapped it in towls or cloths.
even birds of paradise are small and could be up in trees etc.

I agree about taking the best I can get. However, as above, I have to be realistic. Having a lens that will allow me to dabble in some wildlife photography would be perfect - my real priority with photography is general travel photos, scenery and landscapes, that is my passion.

Having a telephoto zoom that isn't too big and doesn't take up much of my space in my bags is vital.

Back