Canon LP-E6 Recharge Performance

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
A couple of my spare Canon LP-E6 batteries have Recharge Performance indicated as 1 red bar suggesting the battery is at the end of it's life. I'm going to retire them but just curious if anyone has any experience of how long they last once they've reached this stage. Is it a 'how long is a piece of string' type of thing?

The original battery in my 7D is now also showing the single red bar, it was originally three green then two, but I didn't notice if it went to one green before showing red. I've just bought another as a backup, so will continue to use it along with my now two others and see how long it lasts, so watch this space.

I've always had plenty of batteries and cycle them them through the camera so none of them gets too much use. The battery that came with my 5D3, bought in march/april last year, is still at full recharge performance though. Depending on what camera you use it might be easier to just get a couple of 3rd party batteries just in case. If you've got a 5D3 you'll have to pick the 3rd party batteries carefully though as some of them are giving problems with the updated firmware.

I've got 6 3rd party batteries for my 7D and 6 Canon for my 5D3 and the 3rd party ones work perfectly in the 7D.

Yes Stuart, I have half a dozen genuine batteries, I was just curious about the life after death, so to speak. It will be interesting Ken.

Last edited:
I've got 6 3rd party batteries for my 7D and 6 Canon for my 5D3 and the 3rd party ones work perfectly in the 7D.

Which 3rd party batteries are you using in your 7D?

I am having issues with my original Canon battery in my 7D, which was bought new in December last year. At the moment, I am only getting about 300 actuations from a full charge. I hardly ever use flash and live view, so was hoping for better than that.

I emailed Canon UK this morning explaining the situation, so will wait for their reply. They will probably say that is within their expected guidelines.

I'm just using the generic LP-E6 off ebay for the 7D which cost between £7-10 each. As long as they are 'decoded' they should charge properly on a Canon charger and give you the correct performance in the menu. On a genuine Canon battery in my 7D I got around 7-800 shots using AF and IS/OS on the lenses all the time and checking the histogram for for the exposure levels fairly regularly. Using a Pixel grip and 2 Canon batteries I've had nearly 3000 shots in a day from my 5D3 and I still had some charge left at the end of the day (but not much).

I'm just using the generic LP-E6 off ebay for the 7D which cost between £7-10 each. As long as they are 'decoded' they should charge properly on a Canon charger and give you the correct performance in the menu. On a genuine Canon battery in my 7D I got around 7-800 shots using AF and IS/OS on the lenses all the time and checking the histogram for for the exposure levels fairly regularly. Using a Pixel grip and 2 Canon batteries I've had nearly 3000 shots in a day from my 5D3 and I still had some charge left at the end of the day (but not much).

Thanks, I shall probably get a spare one anyway.

With my 450D I had 2 spares and found I hardly ever used them, both were Energizer.

There's a coincidence, I noticed last week that my two canon battery's are both on 1 bar and it's red. I've got 1 unchipped spare but was thinking of investing in a couple of chipped 3rd party jobbies.
Can anyone reccomended a particular brand?

I have two genuine LP-E6 batteries which I use simultaneously in my 7D. Both are at two green bars on the performance scale and that's after 2.5 years of ownership and roughly 25000 shots.

I'm down to a red bar on two batteries that are around 3 years old I guess.. They still perform pretty well.. Although I'm monitoring how long they last... When the time comes to change though, I'll be sticking with the real thing. They've been used and abused over the time I've had them.. And have performed faultlessly (and still do).

Back