Canon or Nikon camera

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

If you were to start buying your gear from scratch would you buy Canon or Nikon? And why?

I use canon personally, but I would go to a camera store and have a play. See what fits your hands better, have a play with the menus and settings etc.

They are both good makes, so it comes down to personal preference.

I think Canon have a wider range of lenses/accessories.

Difficult choice, there are pro and con's for each. Personally it would be down to lens choice, canon has the fantastic 300mm f2.8, but for versatility I do like Nikon's 200-400mm f4 as I mainly shoot motorsport and aviation. It would be a more difficult choice now than when I made mine all though years back with the Canon 20D as my first camera over the Nikon D70.

Depends what level camera you're looking for, and what you intend to shoot.

I went with Nikon in March. Ergonomics were a big thing for me, and I preferred Nikon, the rear display at the time was higher res and larger than Canon's offerings. I'd handled friends 350d's and 400d's before but found them unfriendly.

I was looking for a mid-range crop sensor camera and Nikon had more to offer in this dept. That's not to say one brand is better than the other.

Either cos both will do want you want from them.

reading magazines at the moment, there seems to be a real spread between the 2 main manufacturers, the 5dII being the better of the full frame, where as a Nikon is generally regarded the better mid range etc etc, bottom line is to go and try what you like and buy what you feel confortable with. ALL cameras turn out good work, as long as the manual interface between outside world and camera is functioning correctly ;)

Canon for me, again. Nikon reminds me of being stuck in the 80's/early 90's with the look of their lenses and kit. Plus the plethora of pro-togs you see at sporting events seem to be using their off white L lenses, so if it is good enough for them....:D

I'd keep my nikon but paint all the lenses white so when I to sporting events it blends in more ;)

edit - looks like me and Laudrup have the same ideals lol

I sold my Canon kit and bought new Nikon kit this month. Love Nikon.
Various reasons but CLS and i-TTL just rocks. Can't believe Canons still don't have built in wireless flash commanders :thinking:
Also i find the D90 focuses better in low light than the 40D. Admittedly the 40D feels better and is more solid but there's not much in it once you fit a battery grip :)

Oh, and white lenses on black bodies is just wrong :puke:

It's down to personal choice, I have had cannon in film and nikon in digital, that are both good makes. I would say that 99.9% of togs would not be able to tell if apic had been taken with a nikon or a cannon.

You think Nikon kit is aesthetically pleasing? :shrug: They really should use some decent marketing hook like Canon have done with their grey L lens.

Well, I do.
Are you aware of who designs the shape of the Nikon bodies?

A guy that designed the Renault 19 isn't exactly filling me with confidence here :D

A guy that designed the Renault 19 isn't exactly filling me with confidence here :D

Pretty predictable response.
I think if I had a client list like that, one that included Renault but also Lambourghini, Ferrari, BMW, VW, De Lorean, Ford, Bugatti and many more, I'd be very happy with myself thank you very much.

when i told some photographers (as i also model) i wanted to take up photography as a hobby, they all had divided opinions on the canon and the nikon, some said the canon was platicky and some said the nikon was a waste of money and some said that nikon was used by the pro's and canon really wasnt.

I personally think its more to do with the person behind the camera and im no pro so i couldnt tell the difference between nikon and canon but i guess its a trial and error thing, if one doesnt work for you personlly then go for the other

So it is possible to have a Nikon and look good? :p

Aren't these grey lenses quite rare for the Nikon?

Not so much rare as selective, unlike common Canon's :razz: :D

As a couple of people have already said (between the flames!)... get the things in your hand and see what feels best. So to speak! :naughty:

34346_01.jpg

imo the camera's are virtually identical, the difference its that Nikons cheaper range of lenses are much better than canons (but not all). dearer lenses are similar.

and who's lenses did canon use to start with ???

the only reason they don't use them now is because nikon said it's my lens and i'm taking it home ( i may have made that last bit up )

I'd go with Nikon again, partly because there's no other sensible choice given (Canon? pffft :D) and partly because of the lack of accessories for Olympus SLRs. I love the feel of the larger Oly SLRs, everything right down to the positive action of the buttons, even on my old E-420, feels positive. My D40 feels a little 'hollow' when you press a button. I probably wouldn't go with Olympus again, it'd always be Nikon, but that's a cost and ease-of-ownership thing. Oly kit is a little hard to come by...and it's not exactly cheap either.

and who's lenses did canon use to start with ???

the only reason they don't use them now is because nikon said it's my lens and i'm taking it home ( i may have made that last bit up )
You have lost me here? so canon were using Nikon lenses before Nikon even started to make them.:D

You have lost me here? so canon were using Nikon lenses before Nikon even started to make them.:D

http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/companies/nikon/htmls/nikon_canon.htm

i have nikon and would have nikon again, canon's just feel cheap to me, nikons feel more sturdy and well balanced.
i'll be sticking with nikon for the forseeable future...unless i can ever afford a leica s2 :naughty:

Back