Canon PowerShot D30 for travelling?

Name
Will
Edit My Images
Yes
I’m planning a six-month trip round South America later this year, and want something light and robust to chuck in my bag for point-and-shoot photography. Not planning on any diving, but features such as waterproofing that save me worrying about damage are a big plus.

I really like the looks of the D30, I’m not too fussed about wifi, and on a camera of this price (£200) I’m resigned to image quality not being stellar. But I’m a bit worried about reviews that say the screen sometimes dies for no reason in normal use. I can get it with a free 2-year warranty, but it’s not much use if I’m on the other side of the world.

So the question is: for my purposes, can I buy this camera with confidence?

Many thanks!

It's a decent robust compact have a look at the Olympus tg-4 if you want a better camera that is still tough.

"I'm resigned to image quality not being stellar." I wonder if you might regret that statement - tiny-sensor compacts are pretty crappy, so unless you absolutely have to have the underwater feature, you'd be much better off with something like an Olympus E-PM1 and 14mm prime. Not far off the same size, but image quality is in a different league. You can make A3 prints from one easily - you'd struggle to get a decent postcard out of a tiny sensor compact, and it probably wouldn't be any better than a decent phone cam. The E-PM1 is pretty robust - I'm not claiming it would survive a dunking in the sea, but otherwise it's tough. Honestly, don't waste a six-month trip round a spectacular part of the world with a crappy camera.

"I'm resigned to image quality not being stellar." I wonder if you might regret that statement - tiny-sensor compacts are pretty crappy, so unless you absolutely have to have the underwater feature, you'd be much better off with something like an Olympus E-PM1 and 14mm prime. Not far off the same size, but image quality is in a different league. You can make A3 prints from one easily - you'd struggle to get a decent postcard out of a tiny sensor compact, and it probably wouldn't be any better than a decent phone cam. The E-PM1 is pretty robust - I'm not claiming it would survive a dunking in the sea, but otherwise it's tough. Honestly, don't waste a six-month trip round a spectacular part of the world with a crappy camera.

A little extreme? I don't think anyone has made a camera in 10 years that couldn't produce a post card! Over the top hyperbole doesn't make your argument more covincing, quite the opposite actually!

...you'd struggle to get a decent postcard out of a tiny sensor compact...
I think you are exaggerating. I have several A4 prints on my wall of photos that I took underwater with a Canon D20 a few years ago. The image quality is fine.

Last edited:
A little extreme? I don't think anyone has made a camera in 10 years that couldn't produce a post card! Over the top hyperbole doesn't make your argument more covincing, quite the opposite actually!

Decent = not full of unwanted artefacts and grain, with controllable depth of field and pleasing lens rendering. I stand by that statement. By the way, believing in the opposite of my argument means that you think that small-sensor compacts deliver better photos than m43. Really? Or is that just "over the top hyperbole"?

I think you are exaggerating. I have several A4 prints on my wall of photos that I took underwater with a Canon D20 a few years ago. The image quality is fine.

I'm very happy for you.

---

If people have something to suggest, perhaps it would be more constructive for the OP if they wrote down their suggestions instead of quibbling with me.

Decent = not full of unwanted artefacts and grain, with controllable depth of field and pleasing lens rendering. I stand by that statement. By the way, believing in the opposite of my argument means that you think that small-sensor compacts deliver better photos than m43. Really? Or is that just "over the top hyperbole"?

I'm very happy for you.

---

If people have something to suggest, perhaps it would be more constructive for the OP if they wrote down their suggestions instead of quibbling with me.

I'd already made a perfectly sensible suggestion maybe you should read the whole thread rather than throwing hyperbole and odd statements, as for your reply I will go with a simple lol.

Back