Canon tilt shift

Name
Brad
Edit My Images
No
Hello,

I am starting to shoot buildings a bit more, are any of you using a tilt shift lens? if so which one? any advice, the Samyang seems a good deal or a 2nd hand Canon TSE 24.

Would be great to hear some info about the world of tilt and shift any things to avoid etc...

TSE 24 mkII or just shoot wider and correct in Lightroom or Photoshop. I just do that and it works well enough. Bare in mind that 24 may be limiting for interiors and you may need to start merging frames. There is a reason for 17 TSE. Or use software :)

I don't own a T&S but hired a Canon 24 MkII for a couple of weeks for an architectural job ( www.LensesForHire.co.uk ). It was fantastic, and the image quality from stitched panoramas is something to behold (roughly equivalent to 12mm field of view on FF, with double the sensor area (y)).

But they're not everyone's cup of tea, harder to use and really only properly at home on a tripod. Considering the cost, suggest hiring first.

I have the 24mm Mk2 and previous to that the Mk1, the Mk2 is superb and like the 17mm it has tilt and shift in separate planes unlike the MK1 so in that respect it is more flexible.
Whichever one you choose 17 or 24 a good tripod and head are essential ( a geared head makes life a lot easier)
Shift is fairly straightforward and as others have said stitching frames to make panoramas is very easy. Tilt is a different matter it requires patience and live view really comes into its own here.
I have heard filters are a bit of a problem with the 17mm due to the bulging front lens but Vulcan may care to comment on this aspect.
Before you jump go and hire one and see how you get on with it.

I'm away from home at the minute so i'll try and answer as best i can on my phone.
I can't send any pics for the above reason but there's thousands on my website from the last 4 years or so. The cathedral/church ones would be a good start.
It's been my favourite lens for years and i only sold it (and my Zeiss 21mm) earlier in the year to fund a 500mm F4. I will definitely be buying another one. One thing to note is that it also works very well with a 1.4x tcon to also give you a 24mm. I used mine with a kenko pro and got great results. There are quite a few ways to use filters on the lens now but i never bothered with that. I've been a multiple exposure and blender for years.
I now use a canon 16-35 f4 for my wide angle shooting which is awesome but i do miss the option of shifting and easy panos. I can't comment on the tilt function as i never used it.
I'll be back home by the weekend so if you want any pics or other info let me know.

Gary

Back