Canon to Nikon, 1st wedding ever and... the result

Name
Patrice
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I recently moved to Nikon (D700 + 28-70 f2.8 + 70-200 f2.8 II) after having been a Canon customer for years. I just love the AF and the high ISO feature of the Nikon. :love:

The move coincided with friends asking me to shoot their wedding. I never shot a wedding before (at least as the official photographer) and I must admit that the idea of doing it and potentially scr.... up everything generated a lot of stress.

The wedding took place in April this year and ... here's the result:

www.patricemichellon.com

Whites are in some cases overexposed (something I'll need to work one).
Comments and suggestions are obviously welcome.

Last edited:
Well, i don't see much wrong with them, at all. i think you did an excellent job. I got married last year and to be fair, although the photographer done a great job on our images, i think these are a little better. Well done. The only images i can see a bit of a problem are the one where the bridegroom as sat on the stairs facing you. the flash has cast a harsh shadow over the suit above his arms, and the next image where the suit is so dark it kind of lacks a definitition to being a person inside it, if that makes sense??? otherwise, Well done!!!!

I think you have done a brilliant job for a first wedding. As you said the whites are overexposed in some photos. For me, photos 42 and 50, I dont think that cropping people's faces have worked. I am assuming that the girl in no 42 is the sister and if that is the case I would want to include her in the frame. No 50 would be nice if it was similar to 49.

I have to say I did enjoy your photos and I am sure that the couple will be very happy with them

Well done on your 1st wedding Patrice! You've done really well! :)

Can't comment on any pics as there are too many of them ;) ....But overall, they're a very good 1st attempt!

A great set and you should be proud, I would like to see some more wide shots though to try and view the whole wedding if you understand me as you have a lot of filled frame portraits.

Bring on wedding number 2 ,if you keep that quality up mate .
Well done

very nice pictures, but jsut wondering what did Nikon give you that canon couldnt give?

Congratulations on getting your first wedding under your belt, gets the nerves going doesn't it!!!

Some great shots that you and your friends should be proud of.

Thanks a lot !
To answer the Nikon vs Canon question, I'd say that I really liked my 5D and 7D but I didn't like the AF on both cameras (especially in low light situations). On top of that I had one or two issues with lenses. The D700 delivers incredible noise free pictures at high ISO and when there is noise, I find it easier to retouch than the noise delivered by the 5D. Other features I like: remote speedlight control, the function button and the AF selection system. The only things I really miss from Canon are the GUI, the weight and the shutter noise. I don't miss the video feature and I don't need 21 mpixels. The D700 is quite heavy compared than the 5D. If you add a 70-200 on top, no need to pay for a gym subscription. Just shoot a wedding...

Thanks for the information... I was thinking about Nikon myself so just wanted to see what you gained by moving.

Fantastic set of images! Well done. There was loads that I really liked especially 34 because I love the eye contact with the groom with the bride looking away and 65 is fantastic. Sharp and the DoF is lovely.

Only thing I noticed was in 37 which I really liked but got distracted by the lady in the back ground.

Fantastic set though :D and glad you like your new kit!

I had a quick look at your gallery and you've done a great job, especially for a 1st wedding.
Some nice shots.

Was it the 5D MK II that you had or the 5D Classic?

I was recently in a Nikon or Canon situation - for many months! though I ended up getting a 5D MK II a few days ago.

The Nikons f/2.8 zoom set (14-24, 24-70, 70-200) the better AF & low noise/better character are still tempting me... but im far too familiar with the Canon system.

Good set though, my first wedding is in May next year. A long time to prep! I hope by choosing the 5D I haven't shot myself in the foot entirely when it comes to AF... centre AF and recompose!

got bored looking through a slow website.....(after 5 pics) ............... sorry....:shrug:

why not post up 3 or 4 of some in here, for people to comment on ....

Generally us lot on here are reluctant to follow links...............

Nice move putting some Nikon vs Canon controversy into the thread title to get more people looking. ;)

Was it the 5D MK II that you had or the 5D Classic?

I was recently in a Nikon or Canon situation - for many months! though I ended up getting a 5D MK II a few days ago.

The Nikons f/2.8 zoom set (14-24, 24-70, 70-200) the better AF & low noise/better character are still tempting me... but im far too familiar with the Canon system.

Good set though, my first wedding is in May next year. A long time to prep! I hope by choosing the 5D I haven't shot myself in the foot entirely when it comes to AF... centre AF and recompose!

Here's my first wedding, shot mostly on the 5D MK I. The AF thing is overplayed imo. I used the outer points sometimes too, even at wide apertures.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=312317

Nice move putting some Nikon vs Canon controversy into the thread title to get more people looking. ;)

Here's my first wedding, shot mostly on the 5D MK I. The AF thing is overplayed imo. I used the outer points sometimes too, even at wide apertures.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=312317

I really like 'em! I'm used to the 1D style AF so was a bit worried initially, so far so good though... I'm very quick with center-AF and recomposing though if I have to when it's very dark.

Think I'll get myself a 5D Classic as a backup... can't go back to crops after this! Though I do have a 20D for now as a second body.

got bored looking through a slow website.....(after 5 pics) ............... sorry....:shrug:

why not post up 3 or 4 of some in here, for people to comment on ....

Generally us lot on here are reluctant to follow links...............

Agree with the website, it is slow, could put people off, although if they are looking at their own pics, maybe not - might be worth thinking about

As for the pics (y) well done. Wedding photography isn't for me, don't think I'd sleep well before or after worrying about it :D Take my hat off to those that do it and want to do it though

Just had a look at your wedding shots and think they are great. I would be very happy for you to photograph my wedding looking at these...well done(y)
ps. I didnt find the site slow:shrug:

Just had a look at your wedding shots and think they are great. I would be very happy for you to photograph my wedding looking at these...well done(y)
ps. I didnt find the site slow:shrug:

Same regarding speed, guess my broadbands worth paying for :cool:

Really, really enjoyed looking at these. Love the style of your work, some really nice shots.
Great job. When you said about the whites being blown I was expecting them to be really bad, but they are fantastic.
Well done
H x

I really like the set and wish i had some similar pics at my own wedding.
It looks like you have a certain flair for weddings and wish you well for the future.

Back