Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
Name
Shaun
Edit My Images
Yes
ok guys,

I'm in need of some help please,

I currently have the canon 600d, I've been toying with the idea of moving across to Sony, maybe the a6000.
Few reasons why,

Size, mirror less, 24mp, wifi, 11sps etc etc.

Part of me wants to but part of me thinks is not a good idea,

I see a lot of people going for the Sony option lately, on paper the a6000 seems better than the 600d in places. But I'm just not sure what to do, can any one advise me please

I'd personally say that the Sony a6000 closest dslr equivelent was the Canon 70D, which is definitely a better camera than your 600D, it also gives the 70D a good run for its money too.

A couple of comparisons for you...

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Sony-Alpha-a6000-vs-Canon-EOS-70D

and

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Sony-Alpha-a6000-vs-Canon-EOS-600D

I used to shoot canon, and i used to be a fanboy, i had the 10D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D, until i got fed up of carrying all the weight to the point my camera stayed at home most days unless i was specifically going to do photography, i then switched to the EOS-M, which just wasn't that great in comparison. I then went with Olympus (OM-D E-M10), which was ok, but again, i wasn't comfortable with it for some reason unknown.

I've recently switched to Sony myself with the A6500 and i cannot fault it, it's the perfect all-rounder for me, nice size, APS-C sensor, 4k video, in body stabilisation, it's a pleasure to use, so i've sticking with it now, i'm sure it'll last me a few years.

You said yourself, there's a lot of people going for Sony these days, there's a reason why ;)

Do you have a sony shop nearby? Maybe go in and have a play with the a6000, but whilst you're there, have a look at the a6300/a6500 too, they are even better!

Reactions: SW
Unless you're extremely invested in canon lenses what do u have to worry about if you made the switch? If it doesn't work out then you can sell it and go back to canon (or try nikon).

Heck, if you do have lots of lenses, get the Sony and a cheapish lens adapter and try it out with your canon lenses. However, it will add unnecessary size to the overall package.

I have an A6000 to go along side my DSLR. Its a capable camera especially given the price point. If you by second hand you can pick one up from a reputable dealer with a lens for sub £400. A few things to consider though if moving from you DSLR. Firstly it is quite small which certainly has its advantages but you may not like the way it feels. Secondly you will be moving from OVF to EVF. I like EVF I have it on the A99 and I think its great, however the A6000 one isn't the best, capable, but you should certainly see what you think before you buy it. It also depends what you shoot, the long lens range( at and affordable price) isnt great on E mount so you may have to use and adaptor so give that some thought. If you like shooting with primes you can pick up some really nice lenses for the A6000 in either vintage or emount for good prices. If you can afford it it might be worth considering the A6300 which has slight improvements over the A6000.

Several have said about cheap adaptors but you have to read the small print that sometimes looks like this " lens wont autofocus, lens wont meter, lens wont do anything useful at all "

I only have a few lens, of which I only use two, the 50mm and the 10-24.

I've recently purchased the Rx100iv and I love it, the other thing that bothered me with the a6000 was the fact it has no external mic input.

I have an A6000 to go along side my DSLR. Its a capable camera especially given the price point. If you by second hand you can pick one up from a reputable dealer with a lens for sub £400. A few things to consider though if moving from you DSLR. Firstly it is quite small which certainly has its advantages but you may not like the way it feels. Secondly you will be moving from OVF to EVF. I like EVF I have it on the A99 and I think its great, however the A6000 one isn't the best, capable, but you should certainly see what you think before you buy it. It also depends what you shoot, the long lens range( at and affordable price) isnt great on E mount so you may have to use and adaptor so give that some thought. If you like shooting with primes you can pick up some really nice lenses for the A6000 in either vintage or emount for good prices. If you can afford it it might be worth considering the A6300 which has slight improvements over the A6000.

I use the camera for filming, time lapse, long exposure, stop motion, portfolio work etc. I'm not super heavy into photography but it's handy wth work to have the abilities to save out sourcing smaller jobs we can get done quick

Why is fuji not an option? currently the best APC mirrorless system

I don't think there is a best. They all have their pros and cons.
I feel fuji is not an option, I don't think their range in A6000 price range is as good as A6000.

Just a matter of figuring out what OP is after and what fits best.

Last edited:
I don't think there is a best. They all have their pros and cons.
I feel fuji is not an option, I don't think their range in A6000 price range is as good as A6000.

Just a matter of figuring out what OP is after and what fits best.

But I have read the Sony lenses are very expensive so maybe that cancels out any body advantage

Why is fuji not an option? currently the best APC mirrorless system

If you can live with any processing issues and the suspicion that the ISO and other such things may be a little eccentric. As an interested outsider looking in I've decided that the experience isn't for me, popular though the cameras are.

We're getting off topic picking on Fuji so I wont post again but I found this interesting...

https://petapixel.com/2017/03/03/x-trans-vs-bayer-sensors-fantastic-claims-test/

Last edited:
But I have read the Sony lenses are very expensive so maybe that cancels out any body advantage

Instead of accepting what you're read to be true you can easily check by visiting a few dealer web sites, doing a few price comparisons and making your own mind up.

So are fuji lenses.

The problem I have with Sony APS-C lenses is some of them are bad and overpriced (because they don't perform as well as competition)

but for the lenses OP is looking at 50mm prime and 10-18mm UWA zoom are both pretty good. The 50mm even has OS which is useful.

Last edited:
Instead of accepting what you're read to be true you can easily check by visiting a few dealer web sites, doing a few price comparisons and making your own mind up.

I have 7 high end cameras, I don't want to go looking at anything else just incase I end up with 8

I have 7 high end cameras, I don't want to go looking at anything else just incase I end up with 8

So instead of checking you're happy to post things like this?

er... ok :D

I do agree though. We shouldn't read about new gear :D

So instead of checking you're happy to post things like this?

er... ok :D

I do agree though. We shouldn't read about new gear :D

Your very serious for a person with a toy dog avatar and woof woof as a name

Back