Capture a stranger street style : Part 2

Gary - love the first shot
second shot there's nothing to say it's Shorts gardens? However all those fat face banners would have been tempting to me :)

Nicely done as always Dan - loving the busker with his reggae reggae look :D

cheers

Had someone object to their photo being taken today, turns out his was a monk who had a bad experience with a journalist. Turned out fine, but he started off suggesting he would call the police.

Garry the first ones funny & did you take the second on as freezing day in December :LOL:

It was actually one of the sunniest days we had in March. It was 10 to 3 in the afternoon and the sun is still so high that time of year that the shadows are fairly short, and the light quality can be quite dramatic compared to late spring and summer.

I've been very confused, recently, about should street stuff be in Mono but have come to the final (I think :thinking: ) conclusion that it depends on the shot. That sounds so darned obvious but I like the vibrancy of the shots you post but often the mono of Dan's(y)

Thanks, John. I have to admit that I'm not really a fan of mono. To me, life is big, bright, and colourful, and the camera's sensor seems to suck a lot of the life out of photos. I've found this with every camera I've used, though my Nikon D5100 is probably better at capturing colour than previous ones. However, I do appreciate a good B&W and Dan has put some crackers up here. For example, the Angel Gate one on this page really captures the feel of London for me.

Great shots Garry - love that first one (y)

Thanks, Marcus :)

Gary - love the first shot
second shot there's nothing to say it's Shorts gardens? However all those fat face banners would have been tempting to me :)

No, the sign is some way behind me to my left. If I post a simple street action picture like this one, I'll often title it with the street name as I know that people like to know where it is. And, yes, I've been tempted by those banners before. On the one hand, I like the repetition. On the other, they wouldn't be paying me for publicity. :)[/quote][/quote]

cheers

Had someone object to their photo being taken today, turns out his was a monk who had a bad experience with a journalist. Turned out fine, but he started off suggesting he would call the police.

Luckily I've not had anyone object as yet - I've always got the ' we're in a public place so there's no law being broken' line at the ready anyway.. lol

In all honesty though if someone doesn't want there photo taken I'd probably just delete it to keep the peace.. unless of course I thought it was a particularly good shot in which case I might try and dig my heals in :D

Dan good last set but I'm mystified as to how you got the last one - was it a boozy lunch time & you were on the floor :p

But be careful & keep safe we don't want you taking a punch or worse as you're getting some terrific character shots but ............ (y)

Perhaps you need to hire a bodyguard :banana:

Dan good last set but I'm mystified as to how you got the last one - was it a boozy lunch time & you were on the floor :p

But be careful & keep safe we don't want you taking a punch or worse as you're getting some terrific character shots but ............ (y)

I've seen that guy in some of Dans pics before so I think its a friend/work colleague... :D

Hi Dan, Great set of images as usual, especially like the Muso & the Guys sitting on the Sidewalk.(y)

Hi Joe, Nice set of images there, as with Marcus I really like #2 & #3.(y)

As Marcus says, it's a colleague - however I was snapping away for ages trying different angles.. and he didn't notice at all!!

Dan a selfie - are you the one under the brolly :p:p:p

Quality as usual dan, tried getting out for the last couple of days but not been able to. Got Monday and Tuesday off so will try my best to get out and about.

I wanted to get more arty with slow shutter speeds,

Shelter by dancook1982, on Flickr

I have a shot similar to this in my head but I have not got it yet. I want to take a person and put them in the middle of a crowd that is walking past them. Slow the shutter to blur the crowd a little but have the subject in perfect focus. I been thinking about it for some time but just haven't had the opportunity.

I have a shot similar to this in my head but I have not got it yet. I want to take a person and put them in the middle of a crowd that is walking past them. Slow the shutter to blur the crowd a little but have the subject in perfect focus. I been thinking about it for some time but just haven't had the opportunity.

Yea I had planned/hoped to do that same thing in an alleyway :D

And, yes, I've been tempted by those banners before. On the one hand, I like the repetition. On the other, they wouldn't be paying me for publicity. :)

To be honest - I'd be waiting for a large person, someone eating, a ballon over the face of someone, something that would match the fat face :)

:agree: Love the processing, next time I get some shots I like Dan, I will email you the raw files and you can process them for me. ;);) Lol

Would really like to have a go at street photography but feel very self conscious waving my camera about at strangers, and standing way back with a zoom isn't really ideal either as you look even more conspicuous!

Any tips, or is it just a matter of getting out there and taking shots and try not to worry what people think?

Also what do people recommend as a preferred setup for this kind of photography? Prime lens or a small zoom eg 14-42?

This is probably the one and only street shot I've taken, not anywhere near the standard of the shots on here.

Lunch in the sun
by Soggs, on Flickr

I zone-focus and mix up using the VF with hip-shooting.

I use the VF when I either REALLY want the shot, or the subject is very non-threatening and I want to ensure they are in the frame properly.

However I really like the view point from hipshooting, for example this guy on the bench. I walked over to him, in clear view because there was no one else around. I stood in front of him, smiled and took a few shots from waist height. I felt confident enough that I wouldn't mess it up to need to use the VF.

The Happy Bench by dancook1982, on Flickr

So this guy seemed happy enough that I wouldn't have felt worried taking his photo - some other subjects I am more covert about it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips Dan, I think I just need to get out there and try taking some shots and see how I get on.

The handy thing with both my e-pl5 and A580 is that they have articulated screens so you can still shoot from the hip and get the subject pretty well framed without looking too obvious.

Love the rainy shots you've posted, especially the shot from ground level.

Thanks for the tips Dan, I think I just need to get out there and try taking some shots and see how I get on.

The handy thing with both my e-pl5 and A580 is that they have articulated screens so you can still shoot from the hip and get the subject pretty well framed without looking too obvious.

Love the rainy shots you've posted, especially the shot from ground level.

The pug? yes I got down to the floor for that and used the VF - I didn't think the owner would mind, I just smiled when he noticed.

I often take shots whilst still walking, head held high - looking around. if I look down at my camera, and my subject notices - they too look down at the camera. If I'm looking around - they look at me, and not for as long as they would had they seen a camera.

Hi Shayne, I really like all of these but the girl with the banana is just a bit special. Great stuff.(y)

Hi Dan, Once again some terrific street shots, Think my favourites must be the Pug shot and the guy sitting on the bench looking straight at you.(y)

Dare I ask what messenger bag you are using in the the selfie shot? I am currently in the market for that type of bag and the one you are using from what I can see looks to be just about right.

George.

Hi Dan, Once again some terrific street shots, Think my favourites must be the Pug shot and the guy sitting on the bench looking straight at you.(y)

Dare I ask what messenger bag you are using in the the selfie shot? I am currently in the market for that type of bag and the one you are using from what I can see looks to be just about right.

George.

Cheers Gorge, crumpler jackpack 3000

Back