Car number plates

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
I always thought it didn't make any difference if you posted a pic on the net of a car with it's number plate visible. But I'm sure I read recently that it was not a good idea.
Can any one throw any light on this?

random pics on the internet is inviting the scum of the earth to clone the reg onto the car they can now steal as you just provided the details they need to drive it round avoiding ANPR

random pics on the internet is inviting the scum of the earth to clone the reg onto the car they can now steal as you just provided the details they need to drive it round avoiding ANPR

I dont think that on odd pic will make any difference, just look at the autotrader site & you can get thousands at once :bonk:

I dont think that on odd pic will make any difference, just look at the autotrader site & you can get thousands at once :bonk:

Which is exactly where the cloners get them from ;)

What makes me laugh though is when someone posts 6 pics of their car, five of which have carefully had the number 'shopped out :LOL:

The same cars that have their plates blanked out drive around everyday with them on show. But obviously they don't live near the scammers....:thinking: :D

Kev.

I was a bodyshop manager for years & the cloners used to get the details off the scrappers on the transporters, until they started taping over the plates !!!

I guess the most prudent time to hide your reg plate is if you reveal online along with the photos how much additional mods have been done to the car, or worse how you may keep all your camera gear in it all the time. This would certainly be an invitation for someone to trace the car to the registered address?

I used to be on a car detailing forum where it was common place to see them all cloned out and occasionally you'd get the odd one or two they missed as Graham said.

I didn't really care but tried to compose the shot to get the entire plate out of the frame. If I was doing a shoot of my car I'd remove the plate physically (double sided tape) or worst case clone the whole thing out as they still look nasty even when blanked properly.

It is a way to prevent cloning, but yeah AutoTrader and going round car parks has got to be easier. :LOL:

well you only have to fill in one DVLA form to get the owners details. park in tesco for 4 hours and they do that to issue the fine!

The same cars that have their plates blanked out drive around everyday with them on show. But obviously they don't live near the scammers....:thinking: :D

Kev.

The usual is to clone something from the other end of the country, although someone once tried to sell us a ringed 6 month old Rover and it turned out the reg number actually belonged to the provost (mayor)'s personal car :LOL:

I never bother cloning them out for posting on the car forum I'm on, unless someone specifically asks me. Nobody has yet.

I have had someone I didn't know ask me to clone his out when I was taking some shots at a trackday, if I intended to post them online. That was for insurance purposes though.

I seem to remember a car/van had cloned plates on it that belonged to a speed camera van. The police sent themselves quite a lot of tickets...
Manchester comes to mind...

Kev.

makes no difference - people see your number plate everyday. I don't remove them from photos

I always thought it didn't make any difference if you posted a pic on the net of a car with it's number plate visible. But I'm sure I read recently that it was not a good idea.
Can any one throw any light on this?

You only need to stand at the side of the road to select a number plate, unl;ess you are cloning something exotic like a Veyron, a suitable make and model will be along shortly.

You only need to stand at the side of the road to select a number plate, unl;ess you are cloning something exotic like a Veyron, a suitable make and model will be along shortly.

It is an Aston Martin, would that make any difference?

Thanks for the replies folks, Ive decided i'm gonna wait until the owner gets back to me today before posting any pics :)

What makes me laugh though is when someone posts 6 pics of their car, five of which have carefully had the number 'shopped out :LOL:

That makes me chuckle too. Not quite as much as the guy who was advertising a rather high-end muscle car on ebay recently. The bloke had taken the time to very delicately shop-out the reg plate in every picture, then in the text in HUGE font it said 'comes complete with private plate...XXX 111 or whatever it was. Priceless.

As said, people see my plate every day. I dont bother to remove them.

I'd say it depends on the car / how common it is, if you drive a silver Astra as someone said, stand on any road for 5 minutes and you could get someone else's plate but for less common cars it's probably worth doing.

I used to be on the Mitsubishi FTO owners club site and most people blanked out there plates (when they were less common over here).

I’m not sure scammers drive around in Veyron’s and Aston’s:LOL:

When cloning was first starting to be reported there was a fear that the nasty internet was the problem because you could soon find a similar car to clone the number off. As with most internet scares this was a bit pointless because, as other have pointed out, you can but a copy of Auto-trader or even your local rag’s motoring section and find loads of examples.

These days on car forums members often remove their plates as they don’t wish the insurance co. to know about any mods or upgrades they have made
:|

The risk from having the plate shown in pics is negligible. But even though it's small why take it? :shrug:

indeed..

if their insurance gets voided for not having declared mods then thats their problem.

I agree with you 100%, and I'm not sure insurance companies would bother to spend the time trawling through web sites any more than someone trying to clone a number plate.

I seem to remember a car/van had cloned plates on it that belonged to a speed camera van. The police sent themselves quite a lot of tickets...
Manchester comes to mind...

Kev.

Now that might make me think of using cloned number plates ;)

Back