Carborundum Stones

Edit My Images
Yes
Need something to put a decent cutting edge back on to kitchen knives (usual various types) Have had some of these cheapo knive sharpeners from the supermarket but they don't seem to last long, plastic falls apart etc.

Someone suggested a carborundum stone/oil stone, any chefs here using one of these prefer them to other methods of sharpening?

I'm not a Chef, but I have one in my kitchen.
You have to be a bit careful though, as its as easy to blunt as it is to sharpen,
'till you get the hang of it.

Just back that up with a good "steel", and Bobs yer aunties hubby (y)

i use a steel well a ceramic steel and have no problems. paid about £20 for mine ( ia m not a chef)

Accusharp knife and tool sharper is my choice.

Much prefer it to a stone or a steel can be found on Amazon for about 10 quid.

Been using it in the kitchen for years. It will put an edge on anything

Depends on how much you want to spend.

Personally I wouldn't use a cheap option( accusharp type things)they take to much material of the blade.

Steels are only any good if you haves good edge to start with, they are for"topping"up the edge not sharpening.

If you can hold the angle you need, which is a skill in it's self, then I would go for either wet stones or oil stones.

If you can't hold an angle then personally I would go for something like the lanky system or a spyderco tri-angle sharOnager, they are both easy to use and put an excellent edge on the blade.

just use a "steel.. ".. works fine for me..

To get an initial edge back on the knife, take the knives to your local butchers and see if they will do it for you. Be warned if they are able to, they will come back sharper than a sharp thing.

You could always get a stone and try to get an edge on yourself, but then you need a steel to keep them sharp, the incorrect technique with a steel will end up with you blunting the edge.

Like most things, practice makes perfect, it may take a while but you will get there, see if you can get the butcher to show you.

Davec223 said:
Personally I wouldn't use a cheap option( accusharp type things)they take to much material of the blade.

This is true it does remove a bit of the blade each time but, leaves it razor sharp. I sharpen my knives at home about twice a year with it.

It would take quite a few years before a knife us unusable and you only need to worry about a chopping knife for a flat edge

Don't know if they still sell carborundum stones but try the Pound Shops. I had one at work until some scumbag nicked it.

I keep my decent stones for my straight razors and use a cheap credit card sized draw through ceramic thing for the kitchen and gardening knives. it does the trick.

There is an art to sharpening, especially if you need to reset or repair a bevel. Too much like hard work for me.

I use a Spyderco sharpener for my knives - it puts a superb edge on them :)

Annalon roler knife sharpener for getting the initial edge. They have 3 little grinding wheels in a water bath. You can get them at Lakeland. Then a diamond impregnated steel to fine tune the edge.

I went ceramic and haven't looked back - expensive but worth it. Kyocera 4" blade was £50 but it's been used pretty much every day for chopping veg and meat and is still razor sharp.

Last edited:
Well having watched the global video a few more times, I have got my wet stones out again and have managed to put an edge on my knives that I have never managed before, and that was only having a quick go, I can't wait to do then properly and see what they are like then. I have also discovered that I prefer the Japanese angle for sharpening knives than the western angle. Again many thanks for posting the link, it has helped me immensely.

Last edited:
Back