Card Reader Compatability

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently moved from Windows To iMac and in most respect am happy with the change. However I am having a problem loading photographs from memory cards via a Sony Card Reader. The iMac does not recognise the card reader and the operating (green) light does not come on. I am able to load photographs to the iMac directly from my cameras (Nikon, Canon, and Olympus).
Is anyone aware of a method of getting the iMac to see the card reader or is it just not compatible?
Is anyone aware of a card reader that will work with the iMac?
I am using OSX 10.10.3 (Yosemite).
Any help would be much appreciated.

Have you checked you have the right drivers installed for your particular card reader?

I have checked with Sony. They do not offer any alternative drivers for the card reader. Apparently there is the same problem for Windows 10 users!

Isn't there an SD card slot on the iMac?

There is an SD card slot on the iMac but I use CF and Xd cards as well!

There is an SD card slot on the iMac but I use CF and Xd cards as well!
Ah! Sorry about that. Can't help much but I have in the past used a variety of cards in readers on Macs and always found they "just worked" though not always in Windows, so I think the Sony may be a special case.

Ah! Sorry about that. Can't help much but I have in the past used a variety of cards in readers on Macs and always found they "just worked" though not always in Windows, so I think the Sony may be a special case.

I use a dual Lexar reader without any problems. CF and SD. Not sure if there's an xD variant.

Having tried several different makes of card reader none of which worked with MAC OSX 10.10.3 I have now found an inexpensive one from Hama which is fully compatible.

Back