Career change at 32?

:police::police:
Yes. Absolutely.
I did it at 31, and at 47 I'm making another major change.
Do it! :)
He said career change Ruth ,not a sex change :naughty:

LOL

It can be a really big step. Having said that, my family have had an extremely tough year and it's taught me that life is very very short- you must do whatever makes you happy. Those who don't who have the power to do so have missed the point of life in my humble opinion.

I sent an email to my work programme advisor yesterday. Just waiting for a reply now. He changed my CV a little and I said that I appreciated it but now I'm wanting a career change.

Considering I'm unsure what the career change will be in, it'll take me a while to get a new job. I keep looking for suitable internships in wildlife/photography but haven't found one yet.

I sent an email to my work programme advisor yesterday. Just waiting for a reply now. He changed my CV a little and I said that I appreciated it but now I'm wanting a career change.

Considering I'm unsure what the career change will be in, it'll take me a while to get a new job. I keep looking for suitable internships in wildlife/photography but haven't found one yet.
A career change? Go for it

Stretching yourself in entirely new directions? Brilliant, you might surprise yourself

A useful inroad to becoming a pro wildlife photographer? A pipe dream I'm afraid.

There's almost certainly less 'employed' wildlife photographers than there are members of the England football squad (just let that sink in)

It's been discussed ad infinitum on here, but a 'career' in photography mostly means freelancing, and the few 'employers' are generally fishing in the pool of the most talented graduates. I wouldn't say you've got no chance getting employed as a pro photographer, but statistically you've more chance of a big lottery win.

I meant as a wildlife conservation intern or a photography intern.

Last edited:
I've changed from being a tax associate to tax senior associate, then tax assistant manager, tax manager, tax adviser, tax senior adviser, tax consultant and tax analyst.

I should probably get out more ;)

I bet you find that taxing

Of course! I was a young, althetic, good looking bloke in my early 20's.
It's taken a few years of training, two kids, a wife, a cat and now a dog, but I've completely transformed into an overweight, unfit, over the hill knackered junkyard almost-40-yr-old with no get up and go!

So yeah, I acheived my dreams...you chase yours like the wind!

This really made me laugh out loud.

Of course! I was a young, althetic, good looking bloke in my early 20's.
It's taken a few years of training, two kids, a wife, a cat and now a dog, but I've completely transformed into an overweight, unfit, over the hill knackered junkyard almost-40-yr-old with no get up and go!

So yeah, I acheived my dreams...you chase yours like the wind!
Surely you take the dog or the children for a walk at least 3 times a day, not the children 3 times.:confused:your only in your thirties.

I meant as a wildlife conservation intern or a photography intern.
You're 32, I don't want to alarm you... But there's no Santa.

An 'internship' in banking, politics, theatre, film etc gets you access to a world that makes working for free a worthwhile gamble if mummy and daddy can afford to subsidise your lifestyle.

An 'internship' in conservation or other low value industry us just cheap or free labour that looks worthwhile because it's an attractive job for many.

Free photos are always replaceable by more free photographs. A photography internship in wildlife isn't the beginning of a 'career', it's free photos for the 'employer'.

No need to tell me about internships I already know what they are and no one is going to put me off them.

No need to tell me about internships I already know what they are and no one is going to put me off them.

Then you keep on believing in Santa and sitting at home scratching your balls and I'll carry on working my balls off on 2 jobs :( (sometimes 3)

Gosh....that all turned around quite quickly didn't it?:eek:

I don't think there's anything wrong with chasing your dreams if you can afford to do so. I have no intention of leaving my career - it's not my dream job but it pays well and I need the money, I have a family to support. If money wasn't an issue though....completely different story.

Trained to be a staff trainer at 50
Trained in IT at 38
Trained to be a photographer at 30
Trained to be a mechanic at 16

Nowadays no one expects a single career path, I'm baffled by the question TBH.

maybe you were just really bat at everthing :-0

Now I now I am getting worried ,it seems there's not really a Santa Claus ,your wrong Phil V there must be every year since I first got married he comes round in November and December and empties my bank account ,sometimes it's so bad that I have to go without breakfast for a whole day .
So there really must be a Santa it can't be the wife as she says she never has any money ? So it's got to be Santa that buys all the presents for the six kids,eleven grandkids ,and three great grandkids .:hug:

Now I now I am getting worried ,it seems there's not really a Santa Claus ,your wrong Phil V there must be every year since I first got married he comes round in November and December and empties my bank account ,sometimes it's so bad that I have to go without breakfast for a whole day .
So there really must be a Santa it can't be the wife as she says she never has any money ? So it's got to be Santa that buys all the presents for the six kids,eleven grandkids ,and three great grandkids .:hug:
Take up knitting and make them a nice scarf or sweater :)

Looks like Santa should have brought you something to keep you occupied. ')

I wanted to change career at 32. Thinking I was too old to do so, I didn't and stuck with it and am happily retired now but I wonder what could have been. In terms of finding a photographic internship, I don't think you will. Part of my job was to oversee careers advice in an 11-16 school and photography is as Phil describes it. Unless you want to go and work for somebody like Tempest ( not wildlife), although I have no idea what their requirements are. My ex step son did photography at Falmouth and has since set up his own photographic business but that is doing weddings. I am sure I read the other day that military photographers can only apply to be trained after they have done a certain time period in some other section. At our camera club, we get some stunning wildlife photographers who do talks and get paid (not a great deal, I don't think); so your notion that "nobody is going to put me off them" (internships) sadly is misplaced here. You haven't found one for a reason. I have no axe to grind here. Photography is just very different. The advent of digital photography means that pretty much the whole world thinks it can take a good photo. There is some very sound advice here. Mull it over and avoid getting angry about it. These times can be very exciting Ie when you want to change. Make sure you have the support, means and a plan that doesn't put you (and any dependants) into financial dire straits. Good luck.

Been away for the weekend.
Came home to find my contract of employment from my new employer.
No argument from me... Quite the opposite. Start in three weeks.
Can't wait! :)

Surely you take the dog or the children for a walk at least 3 times a day, not the children 3 times.:confused:your only in your thirties.

Walked the dog twice today. The children can walk themselves....lazy gits. Sometimes, and very rarely, do they walk each other....giving me half an hour of peace and quiet.

Back