Carnival Queen

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Its a hard life this photography lark :)

A rare change from sports.. Local carnival queen contest. I am not big on setups or flash photography but heres a go.. manual, F8, iso 400 and shutter 200. Canon mkIII with canon 24-70L

Waddaya fink?

carnival_queen.jpg

I like it, could you get three more different ladies, the huge array of contrasting colours from the girls hair and skin all the way down to the dresses and the flowers, the only thing that draws my attention is the back of the seat but the shot is a snorter for sure.(y)

A hard life indeed :LOL:

Nice subjects, nice colours and sharp (y)
My only problem really is the DoF (no separation from the wall behind) and the young lady on the R/H side is leanng in to the shot more than the young lady on the left of shot. a bit of a rotated crop and BG blur could help I think... something a lot more carefully done than this quick effort on the low res posted (hope you don't mind)

carnival_queen-edit-1.jpg

I dont mind at all .. thanks :) But I think losing the back rail alltogether will work.. its drawing my eye to it more and more now.

I went for f8 purely because i was scared of getting oof bits.. like I say.. not really my area this.. but enjoyed it :)

Don't let anyone know you were taking a portrait shot at 24mm :eek:

To be honest you would be fine down below f/2.8 at that distance and focal length. You would have about 1' DoF at f/2.8 assuming you were about 4' from the girls.

I agree, a bit of gentle PP will see the BG rail gone altogether (y)

I experienced a Tog with a 1ds mkiii and 85mm f/1.2 a couple of days ago when I was in the office, now that is seriously shallow DoF, to the extent where I think it was a stop too far for me. (DoF of about 1/2") I prefer at least my ears more in focus :LOL:

Back