CarolF's 52 for 2011 - Wk8, 9 and 10 added

Name
They call me Carol
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm going to give this another shot this year. My 52 failed miserably last year after just week 3. My sole excuse is that I ended up going under the knife on the same knee 3 times last year and hardly picked up the camera at all.

This year I'm going to try and do slightly better. Honest Guv!

Last edited:
I had a few ideas for accommodation, but settled yesterday on glasses - accommodation for alcohol!

I'm not too happy on the reflection in the wine glass or the fact that the forks are oof, but I suppose it shows the image in context. Great food though!

good luck

hey carol nice pic ...I take it you had a few of the same :D you mean 2011 I think :)

good luck

Cheers Karl. I think I'll need it this year!

hey carol nice pic ...I take it you had a few of the same :D you mean 2011 I think :)

Glad you like it.
I had a few too many glasses of the red stuff yesterday, woke up with a headache, but it's gone now. It was our works annual 'do' - free wine for 4 hours is never a good idea! :D

Love the interpretation Carol, think I would have removed the plate - seems a big chunk of the reflection.

As for the knee - I had one done last April, and it looks like it will need another go this year too:puke:

Hiya Carol,

Good start to your 52. Like the DOF and especially like the bokeh of the glass in the top right.

Well done and good luck with the rest of the 52.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Wow, you get my vote for a great interpretation.

Love the dof and I'm really drawn to the bokeh near the top right.

Cheers.
Me too. that's got to be some of the prettiest sparkliest bokeh I've seen for ages
Hiya Carol,

Good start to your 52. Like the DOF and especially like the bokeh of the glass in the top right.

Well done and good luck with the rest of the 52.

Cheers

Glad you like it. My nifty 1.8 is probably the best lens I've had :love:

Love the interpretation Carol, think I would have removed the plate - seems a big chunk of the reflection.

As for the knee - I had one done last April, and it looks like it will need another go this year too:puke:

Looking at it now, I really should have removed the plate and let my food go cold! I was the last on my table to finish eating as it was!

Sorry to hear about your knee. I ended up with a MACI last August/September. [fingers crossed] Hopefully it should provide enough of a fix to save me having any more microfracture surgery [/fingers crossed]

I was really stuck for ideas this week and didn't want to take a picture of a calendar or diary.

On Wednesday I went down with tonsilitis (confirmed by my GP on Thursday), so I've ended up with more drugs. Considering I only managed to get off drugs a couple of weeks before Christmas from knee surgery, then went down with 'flu over Christmas (more drugs), here's a picture of my new drugs!

It's the first time I've opened my new lightbox and the fabric is still creased, so if it drops out quickly I'll reshoot.

Hi Carol, really like week 1 shot, very well composed. The three glasses draw the eye through the picture as do the forks from the opposite corner. I'm not keen on the plate bottom left though and would have maybe left that out.

Week 2, Not so keen on this one sorry but hope you are feeling better soon. It seems very flat and could use a wee straighten, the reflection on the glass is also a bit offputting. Hope that doesn't come across as too negative as I'm looking forward to see what you and everyone else has in store for the rest of the 52's. (y)

Hi Carol, hope you're feeling better soon!

I love week 1 - and actually like the OOF forks in bottom right - and love the bokeh!!!!

week 2 though I agree with Gonetae re: the straightness - it seems to slope to the right. Also the colours are a bit flat and could do with a boost - it's a good idea though - and with a few minutes in a photo processing program could be a good pic! :D

Hope you're better now Carol. This could do with a straighten and your point of focus is a bit off. Sorry!!! I know you're feeling Sheet. I think a larger f number would sort it out for you :) x

Hi Carol.

Week 1 is really great - nice work
Week 2 - although the shot is ok, It seems soft to me, I cant really tell where you have focused ?

Nice idea though & hope you feel better soon

Hi Carol, really like week 1 shot, very well composed. The three glasses draw the eye through the picture as do the forks from the opposite corner. I'm not keen on the plate bottom left though and would have maybe left that out.

Hi Carol, hope you're feeling better soon!

I love week 1 - and actually like the OOF forks in bottom right - and love the bokeh!!!!

Hi Carol.

Week 1 is really great - nice work

Glad you all enjoyed this one. The more I look at it, the more I see the plate and now it's bugging me. The one thing I'm stuggling to work out is how to kill reflections when I don't want them!

Week 2, Not so keen on this one sorry but hope you are feeling better soon. It seems very flat and could use a wee straighten, the reflection on the glass is also a bit offputting. Hope that doesn't come across as too negative as I'm looking forward to see what you and everyone else has in store for the rest of the 52's. (y)

week 2 though I agree with Gonetae re: the straightness - it seems to slope to the right. Also the colours are a bit flat and could do with a boost - it's a good idea though - and with a few minutes in a photo processing program could be a good pic! :D

Hope you're better now Carol. This could do with a straighten and your point of focus is a bit off. Sorry!!! I know you're feeling Sheet. I think a larger f number would sort it out for you :) x

Week 2 - although the shot is ok, It seems soft to me, I cant really tell where you have focused ?

Nice idea though & hope you feel better soon

I've just reshot this with these comments in mind. Not sure what I've done with the background on this one as it looks a lot darker than the original shot though (could it be a bigger dof?). I thought I'd use a smaller glass to see if the reflections changed at all. However, I've since worked out that it's my tripod and camera strap - :bang: I've just had my drugs, so I'd rather wait until the next lot are due rather than having some stuck around for a few hours.

I feel a little better today, but I've still got a fever which seems to come and go and sleep a lot during the day. Seriously contemplating a trip into hospital to have these darn tonsils out once and for all though (and I really don't want to have a 4th hospital stay in 12 months either) :crying:

Hi Carol

Not sure how I missed your week 2, so glad I found it now.

I like the re-shoot, the shorter glass works much better, and crop and compositon just right. I actually prefer the darker background.

Good luck with your week 3 theme, and I hope you get well soon.

Cheers

Dawn :p)

The re-shoot is much bettor on focus, also I think due to the background looking darker makes the boxes and colours stand out more. Glad you're feeling better too, well done (y)

I like the re-shoot, the shorter glass works much better, and crop and compositon just right. I actually prefer the darker background.

Good luck with your week 3 theme, and I hope you get well soon.

The re-shoot is much bettor on focus, also I think due to the background looking darker makes the boxes and colours stand out more. Glad you're feeling better too, well done (y)

Thanks Dawn and David, comments are always appreciated.

I've been off work all week with tonsilitis and otitis media (such joy), but I've been dosed up on penicillin and my tonsils aren't coming out (yet) this week and chilled and doing much better. Not allowed back to work until Tuesday, so I'll start going nuts now as I'm ready to go back. . . :thinking:

Anyway, I've had all week to think of something and have come up with 'dress style', or more particularly my Wedding Dress! I used the macro bit of my 70-300 for the first time and have learnt that you don't need to be physically up close and personal to shoot up close! As my first foray into macro I'm not sure I'll be a convert, but I might have a little read up on how to do better. The one thing I do know is that a tripod is a must!

Hi Carol,

Oh dear, sorry to hear that you are still not feeling well. I hope you get better soon.

Glad you made the effort to take a photo for week 3 and I must say I love it. What beautiful fabric with stunning embroidery and the diamante details.

I haven't really tried the macro option on my 70-300 yet, I will have to have a go some time, and remember to use the tripod.

Look forward to seeing what image you produce for Week 4.

Take care and get well soon.

Cheers

Hi carol hope you are feeling better now :) your shot looks good a bit of class like it :cool: here's hoping week 4 is better (y)

Great shot with the 70-300. Love the detail and the DOF. Ive only played with the marco end of my 70-300 a couple of times and I still dont think ive got the hang of it yet.

Hope you feel better soon

Glad you made the effort to take a photo for week 3 and I must say I love it. What beautiful fabric with stunning embroidery and the diamante details.

A lovely quiet shot that identifies the dignity in style ;)

your shot looks good a bit of class like it :cool:

Great shot with the 70-300. Love the detail and the DOF.

Wow! Thanks Guys. I really wasn't expecting that kind of reply. That's made my day, thank you.

I must remember to pop in more often. Back at work now and feeling much better, probably about 90% over tonsilitis now.

Onwards and upwards. I've shot week 4, but done no PP on it yet. Off out for the evening (hubbie's decided we're going out for curry :love:)

Wow! Thanks Guys. I really wasn't expecting that kind of reply. That's made my day, thank you.

I must remember to pop in more often. Back at work now and feeling much better, probably about 90% over tonsilitis now.

Onwards and upwards. I've shot week 4, but done no PP on it yet. Off out for the evening (hubbie's decided we're going out for curry :love:)

Hiya Carol,

You are welcome, glad to hear you are feeling better. Enjoy your evening out and look forward to your next pics.

Cheers

Woo Hoo! Made it further than last year. :woot:

As for January - with one day left to go, it officially sucks. This year can now only get better. I've been ill, hubbie's been ill and on Wednesday we lost our budgie Screech. She was 11 3/4 years old. She's been on her own since her mate died just over 4 years ago and our house is now very quiet :crying:

Still, I've managed to come up with something for week 4. This week I chose 'Open book'. I found an old A-level text book (hence all the scribbles) which I used in an open book exam and picked one of the most recognisable quotes. It's not the best shot, but I'm happy with it, although I am going to have to change the background sheet!

Wk04-Open.jpg

Hiya Carol,

Well done on making it to this stage and hope you manage to continue to the end.

Sorry to hear about all your misfortune, what with illness and the loss of your beloved Screech. I can remember how sad I was when my budgies McGyver and Asha died years ago. They were such cute little characters. McGyver was 12 years old when he died, he used to be a lovely aqua green and pale yellow colour but over the years his plumes started to faid to a greyish colour. I can imagine how quiet the house must be for you now. :crying:

Hopefully things will improve for you as the year goes on and you are happy.

I like you take on the theme for this week, and covered the subject well as in open book exam and an open book in the image, so well done. To be honest I actually like the background colour so I wouldn't change it.

Just a note: you haven't changed the title of your thread to indicate that you have Week 4 - Open posted.

Take care and look forward to seeing your next photo.

Cheers

I like this shot, both in terms of the book being open and used for an open book exam (y) The focus looks good to me as I remember that cheap paper has some ink bleed so this will affect the clarity. Nice light too :clap:

May your year improve drastically. The death of a pet leaves a big hole in our hearts.

Shooting Macro definitely becomes a bit addictive. Just wait until you've got some nice flowers to practice on :)

Like the well used book you used here, looks well exposed and I like the colour of the background in this shot.

Well done on making it to this stage and hope you manage to continue to the end.

Thanks Dawn, I'm still struggling to get into the swing of things so to speak, but hopefully the more I perservere, the easier it will get.

I like you take on the theme for this week, and covered the subject well as in open book exam and an open book in the image, so well done. To be honest I actually like the background colour so I wouldn't change it.

I like this shot, both in terms of the book being open and used for an open book exam (y) The focus looks good to me as I remember that cheap paper has some ink bleed so this will affect the clarity. Nice light too :clap:

Like the well used book you used here, looks well exposed and I like the colour of the background in this shot.

Thanks ladies! My open book was more of a 'filler' as I really wanted to get further than last year's dismal performance, so I'm reasonable happy with it. I did have other ideas, but I've written them down to try out later in the year when I'm mobile again. Hopefully things should get better this year now (fingers crossed!) and I can start to get out and do things I want to do.

I'm finally over my bout of tonsilitis (although I went down with a sore throat on Thursday and really hoped it wasn't coming back, but it's almost gone today :shrug:

Shooting Macro definitely becomes a bit addictive. Just wait until you've got some nice flowers to practice on :)

Another macro shot from me this week! :LOL:

I had a number of ideas for this, but settled on Hard Drive. It had been dropped anyway, so I kept it with the idea of taking it apart and shooting it to death. I could possibly have got more of the drive in focus, so if I get time I may reshoot this.

Wk05-Hard.jpg

Last edited:
Nice enough composition, but as you've already identified yourself, the DOF is a bit too shallow. Seems to be suffering from quite a lot of noise too, what ISO whas it shot at?

Sorry Carol, but I can't get the combination of windows 7 x64 and firefox to run an exif viewer :(

Not sure your reply was meant to be as blunt as it sounds :shrug:

Sorry Paul, I didn't mean it to come across like that, please accept my apologies.

Full EXIF is f/11, 8sec exposure, focal length 238mm, no flash, ISO 800

I'm just off to see if I can do any better.

Back