Cars......if you catch my drift

Name
Matty
Edit My Images
No
First time to Teesside Autodrome, and first time watching drifting. So a big bag of unknown quantities for me today. Had a very entertaining time spectating, and despite being limited to the outfield, which meant only a couple of corners were available to shoot at, came home with a decent haul of shots I though.

1) Sideways through the trees
catchmydrift-2.jpg

2) Synchronised Sideways
catchmydrift-5.jpg

3) Sideways through the Blackberries
catchmydrift-6.jpg

4) Sideways through the Esses
catchmydrift-13.jpg

5) Sideways and Smokey
catchmydrift-9.jpg

6) Sideways on the Straight
catchmydrift-15.jpg

Driving home in a turbocharged FWD car has never felt so uninspiring!!!!!

C&C Welcomed, Thanks for looking...

Matty

Love oof angled tyrewalls (can't remember who started me on them!), so 4 & 5 stand out for me in a great set :)

Enjoyed them all but 1 and 5 were the best for me.

1 has great framing and 5 i like but cant put my finger on why, its not the car as i hate bmws lol

Cheers, I was quite happy with 1 as well, it was only the one car that facilitated the shot though, I'd have preferred it if I could have a more classic car in the shot, but no one else was taking the same line.
Personally I though the composition on 4 worked quite well, but Im a bit biased as I liked the car.
Thanks for the comments, much appreciated!
Matty

Like these a lot Matty, love the framing on number one and number four as well as I have a soft spot for the ke70.
What do you think of drifting then? Something you would do again or not.

Like these a lot Matty, love the framing on number one and number four as well as I have a soft spot for the ke70.
What do you think of drifting then? Something you would do again or not.

Cheers Dex, yeah I would definitely go back.....I've been wanting to check it out since I missed that event at Lydden back in spring :bonk:
I think it's quite an easy discipline to shoot, as the cars are on the slide so much, compare it with rallying where you often have to walk miles to find a spot where a car *might* lift a wheel.
I was a bit disappointed being restricted to a couple of angles, I'd have loved to get some pans on the inside of corners, but that's all a reason for me to go again....just maybe not to teesside, and check somewhere else!
Thanks for you comments mate.
Matty

Cheers Dex, yeah I would definitely go back.....I've been wanting to check it out since I missed that event at Lydden back in spring :bonk:
I think it's quite an easy discipline to shoot, as the cars are on the slide so much, compare it with rallying where you often have to walk miles to find a spot where a car *might* lift a wheel.
I was a bit disappointed being restricted to a couple of angles, I'd have loved to get some pans on the inside of corners, but that's all a reason for me to go again....just maybe not to teesside, and check somewhere else!
Thanks for you comments mate.
Matty

Get to Lydden,they have a couple of practice days coming up and the main championships licensing day in November.
There is loads of different angles that you can get and plus there is nothing obstructing you accept a waist high fence.

I like the first one - nicely framed.

#5 also has a nice big foreground which is my penchant at the moment.

The rest, well, its a tough subject to shoot well - not helped by hideous backgrounds that seem to be the standard for drift locations :-/

Thanks all for the comments. It was indeed the Retro Drift Challenge on the Sunday. I didn't make the Monday event as I made the trip down to Oulton Park instead.
Was annoying being limited to a couple of shots, some other opportunities would have been nice to vary the sets a bit, but thats what you media guys are there for!!!!
Appreciate you all taking the time to view and comment. Thanks to all

Matty

Great pictures, I really fancying going up there myself to have a practice

How much is the guest entry fee out of interest?

Nice set from tough angles by the look of it, another fan of the garage****house ke70 :) if your a fan of the car check out sweet oblivion clothing which helps keep the car drifting :)

To spectate (it's free at Teesside Autodrome) or take part in the drifting Daniel ?

I was referring to spectating, thanks :)

I have an E36 BMW which seem to be quite popular in the drifting scene but I don't think I'll be taking it to drift :bonk:

Thanks all, appreciate the feedback. Glad that people seem to think that they are a little different to the usual drift shots that are showcased. I try and shoot things with a different take to the obvious shots, and while obviously it doesnt work all the time (or even a lot of the time) it is good to know people are feeling these.
For info, it was free to spectate on the Sunday. I don't know about gate prices for other events, but Colin (Pixvault) probably knows better than me.
Also the website was pretty unhelpful in telling me anything about the event, access, or timings. I don't know when the next event would be on there!
Thanks again.

Matty

Also the website was pretty unhelpful in telling me anything about the event, access, or timings. I don't know when the next event would be on there!

Your right Matty, the website doesn't help much, however, the Facebook Page is always updated regularly ;)

I'm pretty sure the next drifting event is in November :)

Most of the drifting events (not BDC or RDC events) run from 09:00 - 18:00 with access from 08:00. Media access is pretty easy to get as long as you have Public Liabilty insurance & a hiviz vest, and don't stand in the middle of the track taking shots ;)

Last edited:
Your right Matty, the website doesn't help much, however, the Facebook Page is always updated regularly ;)

I'm pretty sure the next drifting event is in November :)

I'll get that on the radar on Facebook then. Wouldn't mind heading across to another event, see if I can wring some different angles out of it there.
Thanks for the info Colin, appreciate that mate!

RDC really is in its infancy with Teeside being the second event and a few issues a couple of days prior to the event.

The website was ok until a few political issues changed things so Facebook is the best place for RDC updates by some margin :)

RDC really is in its infancy with Teeside being the second event and a few issues a couple of days prior to the event.

The website was ok until a few political issues changed things so Facebook is the best place for RDC updates by some margin :)

Cheers Ryan, I'll have to get used to using Facebook a bit more for info. The RDC was interesting, will be good if it gets a bigger field. I'll have to check out the BDC at some stage to see what its all about, but the older cars hold a bit more interest for me, and I think they look nicer in camera too.
Thanks for the info! :cool:

Back