caught on my van camera.

Wow - close call... Almost certainly a major collision had the driver not reacted as quickly as they did.

Watched that on my phone at work and just sat here and said "WTF"??? out loud. That really was close!

FFS. What a pair of tools:rolleyes:

The first one pullling out is bad enough, but then the 2nd a******e following him out as well? wtf?

Was trying to see if the vans were left hand drive or not but difficult to tell.

The first one pullling out is bad enough, but then the 2nd a******e following him out as well? wtf?

Was trying to see if the vans were left hand drive or not but difficult to tell.
Yes they were left hand drives, I think the second van pulling out amazed me just as much as the first. I have taken the sound out for good reason
LOL.

Idiots.

Although I admit to having a little chuckle at that look into the side road you do after the second one comes out.
Almost as if "is there another one of those <insert your own expletives> down there?"

There were about 6 or 7 vans the same down the farm track all waiting to come out, I guess they were over doing some kind of building work.
Think i should take the video back up to them for a keep sake. And I did swear alot hence I uploaded silent version. LOL

Last edited:
There were about 6 or 7 vans the same down the farm track all waiting to come out, I guess they were over doing some kind of building work.
Think i should take the video back up to them for a keep sake.

6 or 7 of them! From what we can see in the video, I'd assumed that it was only the two. No wonder you've got that cautious look on your face as you turn that way.
Just a shame that there's no company livery on the vans.

And I did swear alot hence I uploaded silent version. LOL

:LOL: I bet you did!

(but thanks for using the silent version on here)

Cant believe Ive just posted a thread about cameras in cars........This just proves it! Had there been an accident this video would have been handy!

How often do these near misses happen I wonder......

Cant believe Ive just posted a thread about cameras in cars........This just proves it! Had there been an accident this video would have been handy!

How often do these near misses happen I wonder......

My camera was £15 on ebay, its nailed to the bulkhead behind the mesh screen, It has a battery, but when power is applied to charger it turns on and starts recording and switches it self off when power loss. So I have
Just found a switch wire in back of van, wired a socket to it. So every time turn on ignition bobs ya gran. 5min videos and loops the sd card. I have switch inside cab too incase I want it to run when parked up.

Dont think police can do much, getting number plates to read isnt good camera shake and quality, I only have it to protect me from crash for cash idiots. Though I have reduced quaility quite a bit for youtube, original is quite good.

Think i should take the video back up to them for a keep sake. And I did swear alot hence I uploaded silent version. LOL

Or nicking plant etc! I use a Crashcam in mine. Two cameras built in and both can rotate 180', works like yours on SD/Micro SD. VERY PLEASED.

Last edited:
What is this "crash for cash" scam and how prevalent is it? Is it more in London or do us suvverners need to be worried as well? Is there a particular demographic that do it?

Surely that can be classed as dangerous driving for the van pulling out.

So in lieu of this video, is there any in-car camera that anyone could recommend?

What is this "crash for cash" scam and how prevalent is it? Is it more in London or do us suvverners need to be worried as well? Is there a particular demographic that do it?

Car in front brakes suddenly so you drive into the back of it and then occupants (and sometimes others) make claims for injuries. More recent one I have read of is car flashes you to let you turn right or pull out of junction but keeps going so you crash into it. Where I've seen people done for it they always seem to have 'furren' names.

It's nationwide...and it's where one car deliberatly causes another car to hit it, I've been caught by this scam...thankfully my insurance was switched on and the scammers were particularly blatant claiming for stuff that was blatantly false so my insurance voided their claims and reported it to the police

I've been caught by this scam...
Bloody TR6's Eh Matt?
(Well you knew damned well someone would say it :D )

I did read somewhere that there is / was a special unit set up to investigate these "crimes"
as they were becoming very prevalent.

An acquaintance got "caught" by the scammers,
one shot out of a side turning in a normal family saloon,
Right in front of him, and braked.
He rear ended them, so technically it was his fault.
But when then claims for whiplash injury exceeded 6,
the insurance company also smelt a mackerel.

Bloody TR6's Eh Matt?
(Well you knew damned well someone would say it :D )

I did read somewhere that there is / was a special unit set up to investigate these "crimes"
as they were becoming very prevalent.

An acquaintance got "caught" by the scammers,
one shot out of a side turning in a normal family saloon,
Right in front of him, and braked.
He rear ended them, so technically it was his fault.
But when then claims for whiplash injury exceeded 6,
the insurance company also smelt a mackerel.

:LOL: indeed mate...but no this was years ago, the car in front of me stopped suddenly at the roundabout when there was clearly no need to..I braked and swerved I was in my Range Rover so have no issue at going over the kerb to avoid a crash, sadly I just clipped the drivers side rear corner at about 5-10mph, breaking their light and causing slight body damage...we exchanged details and they drove off....I got home and called our insurance broker and gave him all the details...a week or so later he called to double check..as the other car owner was claiming for significantly more damage than I has said, plus also claiming the cost of recovering the car back to Luton from Coventry...then over the next 2 weeks all four in the car claimed whiplash ;) so my insurance asked them how I had caused damage to the other side of the car to where I had hit them...from there their claim went rapidly down hill :LOL: :LOL:

I was in a traffic queue last year in my wifes mx-5. Sneezed and on the second sneeze there was a very slight bump. No idea if I ran into the car in front or he rolled back.
No damage to either car but he wanted details so exchanged phone numbers. He then chased me all day for details (I said I'd get them when I got home after work) then when his claim came in it was smashed rear bumper, whiplash, wanting me to go to court
Trouble is I had images of him on my phone walking around fine, the back of his vehicle and took detailed images of the front of the MX-5. Spoke to my insurance, gave them all the images and suddenly it was all dropped.
I gave it two days and phoned him up, asked why the fraudulent claim. Oh it wasn't him, it was his insurance company, a big mistake etc. I then told him I'd reported it to the police and the insurance company had flagged him as a fraudulent claimant and wished him a happy next years insurance renewal...

Sudden braking at a roundabout is another common trick. They look to go into a gap then suddenly don't so they're rear ended. Brake lights can be disabled so following cars have less chance of realising what they're up to.

Always take photos of the scene, the damaged car and the occupants. Often some witness will be lurking to claim you were going a gazillion miles an hour and they'll swap in more badly damaged vehicle to get it repaired free or trouser the write off payment.

Crashes are also staged so insurance companies having two people in the same area that have just become insured having an accident is highly likely to be fraudulent. They both get paid out.

Most people have a claim once every 7 years or so. If you have people that are involved in frequent claims then they're either a)monumentally crap drivers or b) fraudulent claimers. Insurance companies don't seem that proactive in statistical analysis and keeping tabs on who claims to be involved in accidents or they don't say they are which makes me think they're not on top of large gangs.

Back