Celebs Stealing from super Markets

Just Dave

In Memoriam
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Antony Worrall Thompson has been given a caution for stealing from a super market, no wonder he can make meals for under a fiver, why do folks with money steal from them and us folks with nowt wouldnt dream of it, one item mis scanned maybe a mistake but 5 seperate occasions is taking the pee http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...pson-sorry-shoplifting-cheese-wine-Tesco.html bet if I did that I wouldnt get a caution, Id surely be sent to court, Richard Madeley's another repeatedly stealing wine from a supermarket

apparently him and Madeley have cracking cheese and wine parties...

If you ask me he should have got community service and made to cook soup for the homeless, and that's just for starters.

If you ask me he should have got community service and made to cook soup for the homeless, and that's just for starters.

I quite agree, and a bit annoyed that he just got a bollicking......... Tessys round here all have signs saying "we always prosecute thieving bar stewards!"

I bought some Worrell Thompson sausages. It said "Prick with a fork" on the packet.

A bit harsh, I thought.

apparently him and Madeley have cracking cheese and wine parties...

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I bought some Worrell Thompson sausages. It said "Prick with a fork" on the packet.

A bit harsh, I thought.

sure they got that the wrong way round should furk :eek: with your prick (y)

Last edited:
I have met AWT a couple of times, even prepped courgettes for him at a trade show, a really nice guy.

To me, it is sad that he has gone astray and pinched a few low cost items which could end the best part of his career.

A Mid-Life crisis thing perhaps? I don't know, but it's probably some sort of mental-illness because I can't see why he'd do it otherwise.

I hope he gets through it.

From Wiki:
Kleptomania (from Greek: κλέπτειν, kleptein, "to steal", and μανία, "mania") is an irresistible urge to steal items of trivial value. People with this disorder are compelled to steal things, generally, but not limited to, objects of little or no significant value, such as pens, paper clips, paper and tape. Some kleptomaniacs may not even be aware that they have committed the theft[dubious – discuss].

Kleptomania was first officially recognized in the US as a mental disorder in the 1960s[citation needed] in the case of State of California v. Douglas Jones.[citation needed]

Kleptomania is distinguished from shoplifting or ordinary theft, as shoplifters and thieves generally steal for monetary value, or associated gains and usually display intent or premeditation, while kleptomaniacs are not necessarily contemplating the value of the items they steal or even the theft until they are compelled without motive....Snip

Last edited:
Watching AWT on TV glibly saying he obviously has a problem he now intends to seek treatment for was particularly sickening to watch given that he's been seen at it on previous occasions.

The fact is though that despite his celebrity status he's entitled to be treated the same as anyone else in this situation. Shop lifting is a widespread common offence and Thompson wasn't in any particular position of trust which would have merited him being treated differently to anyone else as a 'first offender' and cautioning offenders, even for far more serious offences is now very common practice.

The whole idea of cautioning is that 'last chance' before saddling someone with a criminal conviction and the concept is I suppose pretty sound. The truth though, is that in practise, many people get cautioned repeatedly for subsequent offences to the point where the whole thing has become a joke

You can't blame the cops I suppose, as long as the offender admits it - he's simply cautioned and the very briefest of details are taken down on a form - 3 minutes - job done - and the copper gets his tick for the job and moves on to something else. There's no report writing, statement taking or preparing a file of evidence for court. The problem is the offender goes out the back of the nick laughing his tits off!

Short version - it's complete crap and all part of the streamlining of the justice system- reduce the load on the courts - don't send people there - simplez!

quite sickening to think that someone like me and you would deffinatly be going to court for this yet a celeb gets a slap on the wrist and seeks help

quite sickening to think that someone like me and you would deffinatly be going to court for this yet a celeb gets a slap on the wrist and seeks help

I know of someone who was nicked for stealing a lipstick from tesco after a £120.00 shop. I beleve this person, as I know her very well and for a long time, that the lipstick was just left in the trolley by mistake, and had lost it's self under a few spare carrier bags left in the trolley...This person likes to take her own bags as she is quite enviromentally friendly.

Anyhows, wheather you would believe her or not this is what she was told by both the officer and an over-zealous Tesco security manager...
"sign the fixed penalty form or plead not guilty and go to court...You will be in the paper if you go to court and we will provide cctv images that makes you look very suspicious...Oh and it's a common thing that women of your age do these things on occaissions" This just scared her into signing a confession of a crime she did not commit in the way of an £80 fixed penalty fee. She spent 4 hours in a Tesco office and came home very distraught.

Last edited:
Doctor gave me some pills for kleptomania, then said if they didn't cure me I was to get him a colour TV.

If it were you or I Jonathan, and it was our first offence - we'd almost certainly get the same treatment - a caution, and it would be up to us to take advantage of that 'last chance'. I don't have problem with that, but I do have a problem with people often receiving further cautions for subsequent offences which they admit. Bear in mind that they don't appear before a court and no Restitution or Compensation Order will ever be made to reimburse their victims.

Hundreds of people get done for shoplifting every day, but Thomson is a celeb with a public platform and we have to listen to that dross about needing treatment. If he'd just been man enough to put his hands up I'd have more time for him. There's some daft logic going on with some people who seem to think that because he's wealthy it can't really be theft - he must be ill.

To be honest 20yrs ago you would have gone to court for the slightest mistermena,and got prison, but these days prolific offenders junkies/shoplifters/petty thieves just get a slap on the wrist, cheaper than sending them to prison or enforcing some sort of community service, and even get it just dropped, if hed done that 20yrs ago and wasnt known as a celeb, court and fine or worse the system is far to soft now, we have many offenders in my town what are well known and they get no punishment, told top do some counselling or something the law is up to the courts who take the less costly way out, they cant pay just cost more to keep them

Last edited:
If it were you or I Jonathan, and it was our first offence - we'd almost certainly get the same treatment - a caution, and it would be up to us to take advantage of that 'last chance'. I don't have problem with that, but I do have a problem with people often receiving further cautions for subsequent offences which they admit. Bear in mind that they don't appear before a court and no Restitution or Compensation Order will ever be made to reimburse their victims.

Hundreds of people get done for shoplifting every day, but Thomson is a celeb with a public platform and we have to listen to that dross about needing treatment. If he'd just been man enough to put his hands up I'd have more time for him. There's some daft logic going on with some people who seem to think that because he's wealthy it can't really be theft - he must be ill.

Perhaps AWT is a thieving little git? :shrug: Or perhaps his having some problems in his life that has steered him to do this? :shrug:
But, he or the Lipstick theif I.ve mentioned are definately not these chavvy scum-of-the-earh types who can't be bothered to work, who don't give a shiit about others, etc etc. I believe that AWT has a problem and the Lipstick person was scared into signing a FPF.

Some people need not be compared with police statisics, some people are innocent, some people have mental health issues that do thinggs out of character.

Nigel - I've had plenty of problems in my life as no doubt you have. None of them have caused me to go shoplifting. ;)

I'm not saying your lipstick thief is chavvy scum, but you really need to be a bit more objective in listening to her version of events. She was given the opportunity to accept a fixed penalty or to go to court. There's nothing bullying or intimidating about that - it's a straight choice - the same one you get with any fixed penalty ticket -she could have gone to court and contested the case, but she didn't.

Ask yourself the question - does she tell her friends she's been very silly, and been caught shoplifting, or that it was all a ghastly mistake and she was bullied into confessing? Sorry mate - I've heard it all so many times before.

Her experience was so distressful she's told nobody anything. I know and was told because of certain circumstances which I can't discuss here.

Perhaps police statisics was the wrong term, but knowing that you were a police officer and have dealt with the same old storys time and time again, I do believe in this case, that the same old story this person gave was genuine. I'm not even close to this person, and nor was I at the time. In fact if I could tell people she's a tea leaf it would give me a certain amount of pleasure...But, I know she isn't and I have a lot of differences/narks with her, but a theif she is not. And I'm being objective, and I think that the police get the same ole same ole so much, it's them, in cases like this lose their objective and think heard it all before and therefore the person must be guilty.

fixed penalty ticket -she could have gone to court and contested the case, but she didn't.
With being held in an office for a long period of time, and threats like a lot of women of your age do this sort of thing and you will be in the paper and the cctv looks suspicious just scared her to deaf. She just wanted to get out of the nightmare she was in!

To be honest 20yrs ago you would have gone to court for the slightest mistermena,and got prison, but these days prolific offenders junkies/shoplifters/petty thieves just get a slap on the wrist, cheaper than sending them to prison or enforcing some sort of community service, and even get it just dropped, if hed done that 20yrs ago and wasnt known as a celeb, court and fine or worse the system is far to soft now, we have many offenders in my town what are well known and they get no punishment, told top do some counselling or something the law is up to the courts who take the less costly way out, they cant pay just cost more to keep them

And yet the prison population today is higher than it's ever been.

Strange isn't it, we're imprisoning an ever greater number of people but apparently we're also not sending people to court.

And I'm being objective, and I think that the police get the same ole same ole so much, it's them, in cases like this lose their objective and think heard it all before and therefore the person must be guilty.

Nigel mate - you do the police a gross disservice if you honestly believe they aren't capable of recognising a genuine case when they see it or that the evidence is flawed and that person should be given the benefit of the doubt. Also, they know the full circumstances of this case, which you don't - you only know what she chose to tell you.

Neither you or I really know what happened, but the fact is this was a little (classic) 'treat' item (a lipstick) not shown at the checkout or secreted somewhere about her person or in her shopping.

The only people I know who shrug and tell people it was hard luck and they just got caught are habitual thieves and professional shoplifters who just play the game. There's a stigma attached to shoplifting, and the vast majority of 'ordinary' people will all recount some hard luck story of how it was all a ghastly mistake when they tell their friends and family about it- it's human nature.

Doctor gave me some pills for kleptomania, then said if they didn't cure me I was to get him a colour TV.

He told the policeman that he suffered from kleptomania. The policeman said "Are you taking anything for it".

Anthony Worrall Thompson caught shoplifting. police asked him to empty his bag and then tell them what he planned to make with it.

AWT stole some cheese?

He'll get a grilling for that.

He'll do porridge. Tesco's finest, at Her Majesty's Pleasure.

premiumtealeaf.jpg

Back