CEX?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone here have any experience with buying used gear from CEX? They have a lens i have been looking for and it's at a really good price. They claim to offer 24-month warranty on it too. I'd be interested to hear your experiences.

Have bought a number of non photography items and not had any issues.

If it is not as described you can take it into a store and would refund the money.

I've bought several lenses from them. No issues.

I've also had a lens rejected when trying to sell it to them for "mark on the inside of the rear element".

Turned out it was the reflection of the red mount mark showing in the glass.

We laughed afterwards.

But it does go to show that their assessments of the kit they are buying in are stringent.

I've bought a number of items from them over the years and I usually find they're conservative with their grading so the items are better than I expected but it's a gamble, it can sometimes be a lot worse. I've had grade B items that look new in box and I've also had ones that are such a mess they should never have been sold (an A7s in particular comes to mind as the sensor as damaged and the body had been repeatedly dropped clearly) but I've never had an issue returning an item.

I'm not sure I would place much faith in the 24 month warranty though as I've heard a number of comments it's not worth much when they've tried to claim on it.

The only problem I had with them was one store local to me decided I couldn't test a lens on a body... they had both items on sale, perfect combo but would only let me look at one item at a time... yes a lens and a camera, the perfect way to test, erm, a lens and a camera...

Used the CEX shop quite a lot for photo gear. The 24 month warranty is more like a 24 month money-back offer (they'll never fix it) in CEX vouchers.

Very occasionally they foul up the description (both ways - EF 100mm F/2.8 Macro - mistaking the non-L for the L, so a £220 lens was priced at £500, but conversely a £500 L lens priced at £240 - different branches... Same day)

Keep your eyes open, wide open.

Bought a Nintendo Wii for the grandkids from the store in Stoke a couple of years ago. No issues at all.

I bought a 2015 MacBook Pro from one in London some years ago that was marked as C grade. When I got it home, I gave it a clean and it was, IMO, B+ grade. Only the anti-glare coating had come off. And it had had a new battery fitted, too! So they're not always that stringent all the time.

I've had one lens - price was ok, lens was fully functional if a little tired. They aren't an obvious source of camera gear, but can occasionally be useful. As advised above, check the goods VERY carefully when you first get it.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I bit the bullet and bought the lens (Nikon 35mm f/1.8 G ED) and I have to say I am well impressed. The lens is in fantastic condition and cost me £80-100 less than if I had bought it from MPB.

I've bought a few things from them, maybe I've been lucky, but never had any problems. One thing to keep in mind is they often know very little about the gear they sell, so they moy not know if items are compatable etc. Like selling a 5d2 with a R lens... which wont fit, Although they did try. :oops: :$

Back