CF Card - Should I Send It Back????????

Name
Kristy
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all!

Firstly, apologies if this is a reeeeeeeeally stoopid question! :LOL:

Soooooo - I ordered a new Kingston 8GB CF card from Amazon (through their MarketPlace) which arrived yesterday. Put it in the camera this afternoon, took 4 pictures fine, then it came up with an error message saying that there was a problem with the card. So I reformatted the card, took about 20 pictures ok, then .....yep, you've guessed it.....the same error message! :(

Back at home tonight, plugged the card in to my reader, and apparently there's no pictures on the card. So....... firstly, I was wondering if anyone knew of any free CF card recovery software for the Mac, and secondly, do you think I've got a duffer, or should I try something else????

Thanks
Kristy

I ordered a new Kingston 8GB CF card
That was your first mistake...

from Amazon (through their MarketPlace)
That was your second. ;)

then .....yep, you've guessed it.....the same error message! :(

should I try something else????

Ever since having a cheaper card die on a friend, I've stuck with Sandisk. That was about 8 years ago and have never had any problems with them at all (and between my own collection of cards and various ones I've used at work over the last few years, it's well over 100 Sandisk cards). I've had friends with Sandisk cards survive the washing machine... and the dryer. :)

Just make sure if you go with a decent brand, like Sandisk, that it's an actual proper card, and not one of the cheap fakes that so often haunt eBay (there's pages and pages dedicated to spotting fakes if you hit up Google).

Thanks John, but to be honest I've already got a Kingston card that I've never had a problem with, so thought I'd be ok with a new one. Funds are a bit tight for a new Sandisk one and I never seem to notice the ones coming up on the For Sale forum until too late!!

I had the same problem with a kingston elite 8gb cf card, sent back for a refund, sticking to sandisc from now on :)

:(

if anyone hears of any 2nd hand ones going for a song then............

My only failed card was a "Kingston". I returned it only to find it was a rip off copy. Was it direct from Amazon or a seller on Amazon? Contact Kingston they might be able to tell you if it is a copy.

My only failed card was a "Kingston". I returned it only to find it was a rip off copy. Was it direct from Amazon or a seller on Amazon? Contact Kingston they might be able to tell you if it is a copy.

If it is through Amazon marketplace, then it's from a seller.
I have used both Kingston and Sandisk for the past two years, both trouble free.
I would look into the fake card issue though!

Funds are a bit tight for a new Sandisk one and I never seem to notice the ones coming up on the For Sale forum until too late!!

Well, with the reliability Kingston generally seems to offer, can you afford not to use a reliable brand? :)

I'd just stick with your original card and wait until you can get a Sandisk. You can pick up 8Gb Extreme III cards (30MB/sec) for £20-40 depending on where you buy (and there's offers coming up all the time as companies start to ship more of the newer UDMA CF cards).

I wish I could afford to go Sandisk all the way, but just can't seem to find one under £35 :(

I'm off to NYC in a month so wanted a bigger card for that.......

Buy it once you're in New York then.

B&H is Photogapher Heaven, and Adorama are only down the road.

Adorama has the 4GB Extreme III cards (same as I use in my D200) for only $24.95 each (about 15 quid).

play have Sandisk extreme III 4GB in for £17.99 why not get a couple of those instead of a 8gb or larger card or even try 7dayshop...

Look at Lexar CF cards.... Its just a thought....

I've always used Transcend cards since having a 'Kingston moment' like yourself some years ago... never had any problem with them... you don't need to use Sandisk, but I wouldn't use Kingston again myself.

Plenty choice of 8Gb at decent prices here... although the Lexar 600x is a bit scary!

Kingston cards are the only ones I've ever had problems with. A while ago, you could get a Kingston 16Gb card for about £20. Why were they so cheap? Because they were rubbish! You can probably still find the thread(s) in the Shopping forum.

I would avoid Kingston.

Send it back. Buy Sandisk, Lexar, or Transcend or DaneElec instead. Don't buy memory cards from Ebay or Amazon Marketplace. Ever. Only buy from reputable places like Play / MyMemory / Zoombits.

Kingston memory has always been reliable, and I have been useing it since about 97 in various forms. The problem here is that you bought from amazon market place (this is where the fake ebay sellers go when they get kicked off ebay) so you probably bought a fake card and that is what fake cards do, they screw up.

Send it back and report the guy to amazon get a refund and go buy one from somewhere else that is a shop not ebay or amazon market place.

I really struggle to understand why people are happy to spend £500+ on a camera then try to cut corners with cheap memory cards...

This is the important bit - if that card fails, you have NO IMAGES...

You shouldn't skimp on the peripherals or accessories: factor the cost of decent cards, filter etc into the overall purchase price of the camera...

And don't just buy one card, or two, buy four or eight...you never know...either when one will go t*ts-up or when that pulitzer-winning scenario will unfold in front of you but you decide you still need to save all the 'Kids at Disneyworld' images as well...

Kingston are fairly reliable, the problem they have is compatibility with camera manufacturers.

I have a Kingston 16GB that works fine in the 40D and 50D but induces all sorts of error codes when fitted into the 1D III.

There will be a chart somewhere for the suitablity of the card for your camera.

Kingston are fairly reliable, the problem they have is compatibility with camera manufacturers.

I have a Kingston 16GB that works fine in the 40D and 50D but induces all sorts of error codes when fitted into the 1D III.

There will be a chart somewhere for the suitablity of the card for your camera.

Yep I agree, I have some Kingston 16gb cf cards which work fine in my car but produce exactly the errors the OP mentions on my Nikon D300. However, varying flavours of Scandisk cause no problems whatsoever.

Barney

Kingston cards are the only ones I've ever had problems with. A while ago, you could get a Kingston 16Gb card for about £20. Why were they so cheap? Because they were rubbish! You can probably still find the thread(s) in the Shopping forum.

I would avoid Kingston.

Send it back. Buy Sandisk, Lexar, or Transcend or DaneElec instead. Don't buy memory cards from Ebay or Amazon Marketplace. Ever. Only buy from reputable places like Play / MyMemory / Zoombits.

I hope the 16GB Integral 16GB i-PRO 100x cards are ok??? :D :D :D

I really struggle to understand why people are happy to spend £500+ on a camera then try to cut corners with cheap memory cards...

This is the important bit - if that card fails, you have NO IMAGES...

You shouldn't skimp on the peripherals or accessories: factor the cost of decent cards, filter etc into the overall purchase price of the camera...

And don't just buy one card, or two, buy four or eight...you never know...either when one will go t*ts-up or when that pulitzer-winning scenario will unfold in front of you but you decide you still need to save all the 'Kids at Disneyworld' images as well...

And to be honest Rob, I struggle to understand why, when I ask a simple question, you feel the need to have a go at me? :(

If you must know, the camera was brought by my husband a few years ago, and since I was made redundant I can't afford to buy the most expensive accessories for what is simply my hobby. I wish I was in the fortunate position to buy 8 cards, but I'm not, so I try to do the best I can. I've had a Kingston card for ages with no problems, so thought I'd be ok :(

Now, if you have any actual advise about what I should have done, like other people who have responded, I'd be willing to listen.

To everyone else who has responded - thank you! I'll be sending the card back this week and keeping a beady eye on the classified! Or waiting until I get to NYC (thanks hugely for that tip!!!)

Hope everyone's enjoying the glorious weather.

Here's a point, i have a couple of Sandisk extreme II cards but i back my photo's up on 2x Kingston 4GB USB memory sticks, so have these got a chance of failing like the CF cards ?

That's kind of what makes them unrealiable :)

And to be honest Rob, I struggle to understand why, when I ask a simple question, you feel the need to have a go at me? :(

:nono: Kristy, I dont think that Rob is having ago at you... Its just the way people write and the way that other's read their post's...

He's a good fella & seems to have answers for many a question posted ( :naughty: bit of a know it all really ;) only kidding)

so dont take replies given, that they are having a go at you - because theyre not....

nope, you're thinking of incompatible :D

If I don't know whether something is compatible with my camera before I buy it, that makes it an unreliable purchase. :)

I'd rather just go for something that I *know* works with everything without having to hunt down compatibility lists that don't exist.

Now, if you have any actual advise about what I should have done, like other people who have responded, I'd be willing to listen..

Thanks for jumping down my throat like that - it really brightens my mornings...
I did offer actual advice - maybe you're just too 'sensitive' this week to notice...:dummy:

Buy decent cards (they're not even 'expensive' now...) and you don't get so many failures...
It's pretty simple, you moody so-and-so...:LOL:

As above, 7dayshop do great prices on sandisk cards. I would use anything else. They have 8mb cards for £20 or there abouts. If you do order just give them plenty of time as they do seem to work on their own timetable!

I tend to agree with Arkady, Andy77 and Menthel. 7dayshop do Sandisk Ultra 4GB cards (30MB/s versions which is faster than a 400d or 40d can write to them) for £12.49 delivered if if you buy 2. They do take 7 days to arrive (if they have them in stock) and I guess that's what they really mean by their name rather than you can shop 7 days a week.

That way you reduce the chances of failure by buying a decent card and mitigating the problems if one fails by splitting the risks.

Note that 4GB should give about 400 raw or 1000+ jpeg images from a 400d.

i think i just spat coffee into every orifice of my keyboard...

but yes id agree with Rob, dont skimp on memory. and certainly dont buy off any marketplace that can be infiltrated by fraudsters.

I have been using a Kingston 4g SD class6 card for a year in a Canon S3 (lives in the car glovebox), no problems at all.

However, a mate just bought one of those Fuji HS10 30x zoom cameras, so I took this card over and took some video and 2 dozen pics to examine myself later.

2 images were corrupted, oddly the imbedded preview jpg was ok-:

4635237968_f60613cd3d_o.jpg

First thing I thought was my card is knackered, yet I ran my usual card checker prog on it, for 2 hours (torture testing) *NO ERRORS*?

So is it a faulty camera or the camera doesn't like the card?

You can download it here from SOS FAKE FLASH -:

http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2008/09/02/h2testw-14-gold-standard-in-detecting-usb-counterfeit-drives/

p.s. Card was from 7dayshop.

If you can't afford a Sandisk 8gb, try a Sandisk 4gb card, they are much cheaper, give you Sandisk quality and still hold a large number of images.

Thanks for jumping down my throat like that - it really brightens my mornings...
I did offer actual advice - maybe you're just too 'sensitive' this week to notice...:dummy:

Buy decent cards (they're not even 'expensive' now...) and you don't get so many failures...

Think we'll have to agree to differ Rob - your response really 'brightened my morning' yesterday, so it goes both ways I suppose!

I still feel that you were having a go, and even more so now with the 'sensitive' comment and dummy icon. And your advice about buying 2/3/8 cards......well, as you can tell by my earlier response - not that practical right now. I'm not a professional with years of experience under my belt, just an amateur with a hobby, and I just wanted to find a card to give me more room to take some photos, and then when I had a problem, I was just after a bit of advise, not recrimination.

To be honest - you've kind of put me off asking questions in the future :(

And if you think I'm moody now - just try me at certain times of the month :eek:

Anyway - hope we can put it behind us. Card is being returned to Kikatek, email about my dissatisfaction (I ordered an Elite Pro, they actually sent a standard card and are now claiming that it was as incorrect listing which has been removed - funny how they're still selling them but now at a higher price grrrrrr) has been sent, and negative feedback left for them on Amazon. Time to move on me thinks.

I used to like this forum but its comments like this that put me off asking questions.

This Wants Another Think.

I used to like this forum but its comments like this that put me off asking questions.

This Wants Another Think.

Please!! Read THIS thread! Maybe it will throw a little new light on the matter!

Please!! Read THIS thread! Maybe it will throw a little new light on the matter!

I've seen this already. It saddens me that there is clearly a double standard and lack of consistency.

There was NO need to make the comments I quoted and in turn is off putting to those plucking the courage to post and ask for help.

I've seen this already. It saddens me that there is clearly a double standard and lack of consistency.

There was NO need to make the comments I quoted and in turn is off putting to those plucking the courage to post and ask for help.

Don't give up on the forum, there are more than enough good members on here to give good, friendly and freely offered advice and help!

Indeed. Rob can sometimes come off a little abrupt (he and I have had a couple of quite heated umm "conversations" heavily edited by moderators in the past), but he's not that bad a guy really. :)

But, people may rub you up the wrong way in any part of daily life. I've had co-workers I couldn't stand in the past, but they didn't cause me to hand in my resignation.

Like Barry says, don't give up. Stick with it and just put those people you don't want to see comments from on your ignore list. :)

Back