Chalk it up…

Nice idea, for me they feel a bit far away though, there is little foreground interest. Maybe just an inch or so closer would've nailed it. :)

Sort of, but they're still toward the upper third of the photo. Traditionally, it's good to balance a foreground subject with a background interest in the opposite corners. In this example, i'd have the chalks in the lower right, so the green was right in the corner (and move the red slightly to the left to keep it in shot behind the green/yellow), but leave the background where it is. This would grab attention in the foreground and lead the eye back into the image to find the scene behind. That's just a traditional rule though, and as we all know, they there to be broken. :)

Your comments are really useful and I understand what you mean now. I wasn't too aware of that rule. I'm new to photography and learning as I go along. Thank you. I'll bear that in mind for next time. :)

I like this picture. For me it is only the composition that needs improving. The light is beautifully captured and having the chalk drawing in the background completes the story. For story telling pictures ( normally ) a large depth of field helps and you have this. I think all it needs is a piece of chalk in the foreground to give the story a bit more depth and perspective, perhaps one piece bottom left pointing towards the main character which is the green piece.

Yep, agree with the above My first thought was that the chalk would be better as foreground, leaving the drawing to fill the upper part of the frame. Nice light/colour etc though.

Thank you for your comments. I'm happy that I got some of it right. Lol :)

When the occasion represent itself I will try this again and will apply your advice.

Thank you so much. :)

Back