Cheap IR Filters

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
I too was after same size IR filter but found Hoya prices too steep. Be interested to see results from this filter....you better get shooting ;)

DJW said:
I too was after same size IR filter but found Hoya prices too steep. Be interested to see results from this filter....you better get shooting ;)
soon as it arrives, weather permitting :(

My wife just remembered it was delivered today :eyesup: Looks pretty good to be honest, no obvious flaws, hopefully get a chance to try it tomorrow.

Be interested to see how you get on especially as Hoya ones are approaching £80 or so.

milou said:
Be interested to see how you get on especially as Hoya ones are approaching £80 or so.
not good to be honest, I've tried well over 100 shots now. There seems to be a problem with the colour balance. mrk has the same problem, he bought one too.

DaveG said:
What camera are you using? Doesn't the 20D have an IR filter infront of the CCD?
Mrk has a 350d, which doesn't.

DaveG said:
What camera are you using? Doesn't the 20D have an IR filter infront of the CCD?
Yep, a 20D. It's not the best but there are plenty of examples of good results if you adjust the exposure enough.

dod said:
not good to be honest, I've tried well over 100 shots now. There seems to be a problem with the colour balance. mrk has the same problem, he bought one too.

If you shoot in RAW can you not then compensate during post production?

I have a Hoya r72 but it is only 49mm . For the sake of experiment I black taped it onto my tamron to try it. I found that more open than f8 I could get only poor sharpness. F8 was OK and higher than that the exposure times were getting so long any wind blurred the trees anyway.

F11 20secs iso800. No technical merit, just a test shot, but it does show how foliage blurrs in a slight breeze.

IRsmall.jpg

I assume if I wanted to mount it properly the only way would be to start with a reversing filter threaded ring so I could mount it with step up rings? The filter is larger than the lens glass and does not vignette when taped in place.

Yes Robert I believe that you have the right idea. For the parts you require SRB Film will be able to supply at reasonable prices or you could always try Ebay for the bargain.

Steve said:
If you shoot in RAW can you not then compensate during post production?
You should be able to but I can't find the sweet spot at all. When I had the hoya on my 50mm results were acceptable which makes me think there's something about the filter. Could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time.

Back