Cheap places to stay in Bath ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Eldest daughter is going to have a look at Bath University so we are going to need a place to stay for a night or two, ideally with parking, and ideally not too far out.

Any suggestions aside from the Holiday Inn/Travelodge/Premier Inn options ?

Myself and a couple of mates went there the other year and booked a holiday rental through Trip Advisor, which worked out very cheap for good accomodation. Might be worth checking out but availability and price varies a lot depending on time of year.

Myself and a couple of mates went there the other year and booked a holiday rental through Trip Advisor, which worked out very cheap for good accomodation. Might be worth checking out but availability and price varies a lot depending on time of year.

Will do Len - I don't suppose you remember the name of the place do you by any chance..?

Waterside Travelodge is bloody horrible, avoid that one.

I recently stayed at Wheelwrights Arms which is a short drive outside of Bath. Nice little place but the food is a bit pricey.

Will do Len - I don't suppose you remember the name of the place do you by any chance..?
I'm afraid not Steve but if you go to the trip advisor site and look up the holiday rentals page you can search using a maximum price slider.

Thanks everyone - I'm looking into all suggestions.
Daughter is too, but I did have to point out to her that she want to take a look at Bath uni, so looking for accommodation in Bristol was maybe not the best place to start...

Sadly, she is the intelligent one of us...

Bath can be v expensive this time of year with all the tourists. If you have no luck finding anything within bath, east of bath there's a premier inn on the outskirts of chippenham which is about a 25 min drive from bath (allow 40 to get to the uni as you have to go into the town first then back out and the traffic can get quite bad). Also the village of Box is worth checking out for b&bs it's only 10 mins to bath and has regular bus service. I know a nice B&b in broughton Gifford another village about 25min from bath, the name escapes me but if you want the details let me know and I can look it up.

Is there a good place to park or do they do / is the park and ride worth using ? Thinking of popping in over next day or so with wife :)

Is there a good place to park or do they do / is the park and ride worth using ? Thinking of popping in over next day or so with wife :)

Depending on which side of town you are on the park and ride is a very good option. Driving in Bath can be sloooow, as it's in a valley and there's pretty much only one road in from each direction. There are plenty of paid car parks, the underground one under the Hilton hotel/Podium is the closest to the main sights, but can be a pig to get to, esp at the weekends. The council car parks on North Parade Road and Pierrepoint St are also very convenient and relatively easy to get to. There are places you can park for free if you don't mind a bit of a walk, but you have to be very careful as the wardens are ruthless! Free parking is much easier to find at weekends.

Depending on which side of town you are on the park and ride is a very good option. Driving in Bath can be sloooow, as it's in a valley and there's pretty much only one road in from each direction. There are plenty of paid car parks, the underground one under the Hilton hotel/Podium is the closest to the main sights, but can be a pig to get to, esp at the weekends. The council car parks on North Parade Road and Pierrepoint St are also very convenient and relatively easy to get to. There are places you can park for free if you don't mind a bit of a walk, but you have to be very careful as the wardens are ruthless! Free parking is much easier to find at weekends.

Thanks for this - coming in from south (from near Somerton), think the park and ride will prob be easiest - and prob less stressful.

Thanks for this - coming in from south (from near Somerton), think the park and ride will prob be easiest - and prob less stressful.

Yeh the park and ride's a good option from the south side, I think there's 3 park and rides to the north, west and south of the city. Have a look on traveline there may be a direct bus from close to where you're staying

Eldest daughter is going to have a look at Bath University so we are going to need a place to stay for a night or two, ideally with parking, and ideally not too far out.

Any suggestions aside from the Holiday Inn/Travelodge/Premier Inn options ?
Hi

Just seen this

This is about the worst time of the year to find cheap good hotels in and around Bath. (Along with Xmas) B&B much the same.

It's when they make their monet.

Try

The Centurion Hotel in Chilcompton

The Station Inn in Hallatrow.

You never kbow.

Parking in the City Centre is v expensive.

There are 3 purpose built P+R serving Bath.

North - Lansdown
South - Odd Down
West - Newbridge

At the weekend there is a P+R using the University of Bath main Campus car park at Combe Down.

If you can find accomodation in Chippenham it's 15- 20 minutes to Bath by train. Twice an hour service. Bath Station and it's surround has been revamped with the new station Piazza, Bus Station and new Shopping Centre replacing the worn out s-hole it used to greet visitors.

Sorry but as I am in NW Ireland currently, I can't post links. Patchy wifi and mobile broadband tonight.

Steve

Our daughter went to Bath for a look too, didn't stay even though it was a long drive, it was one of the open days and the traffic was bedlam. Slow practically all the way in from the M4 and worse in Bath going up the hill to the university.

Nice university, very sports orientated though and looks like that's where a lot of their budget goes.

We went to a few uni's all over the country then after all that she changed her mind what to study and went to one a bus ride away, that's kids for you.

Last edited:
Hi

Just seen this

This is about the worst time of the year to find cheap good hotels in and around Bath. (Along with Xmas) B&B much the same.

It's when they make their monet.

Try

The Centurion Hotel in Chilcompton

The Station Inn in Hallatrow.

You never kbow.

Parking in the City Centre is v expensive.

There are 3 purpose built P+R serving Bath.

North - Lansdown
South - Odd Down
West - Newbridge

At the weekend there is a P+R using the University of Bath main Campus car park at Combe Down.

If you can find accomodation in Chippenham it's 15- 20 minutes to Bath by train. Twice an hour service. Bath Station and it's surround has been revamped with the new station Piazza, Bus Station and new Shopping Centre replacing the worn out s-hole it used to greet visitors.

Sorry but as I am in NW Ireland currently, I can't post links. Patchy wifi and mobile broadband tonight.

Steve
A brilliant and very helpful reply - thanks Steve !

Our daughter went to Bath for a look too, didn't stay even though it was a long drive, it was one of the open days and the traffic was bedlam. Slow practically all the way in from the M4 and worse in Bath going up the hill to the university.

Nice university, very sports orientated though and looks like that's where a lot of their budget goes.

We went to a few uni's all over the country then after all that she changed her mind what to study and went to one a bus ride away, that's kids for you.

We are clearly doing the same sort of journeys - Edinburgh, Cambridge, Oxford, Leicester, now Bath, and a couple of others still to come I believe.. Wasn't like this in my day - I left home at 15 and didn't even bother with my 'O' levels..

We did York, Bath, Warwick and LSE, all the same really and just a big pitch to get your money, it's a massive business.

I left school at 16 and did an apprenticeship, don't think I even knew anyone who went to university

Last edited:
We stayed in Keynsham at a place called the Manor Lodge B&B. It was okay but cheap and there's not much going on in Keynsham. However, the B&B was very close to the railway station and it's only 10 minutes to Bath. Bath station is right in the centre. I lived in Somerset until I left for uni and used to go to Bath fairly frequently. The town centre was almost unrecognisable from the place I saw 25 years ago, and for the better I'd say. We took the open top bus around Bath which was a lot better than I expected, it really is a lovely place.

We stayed in Keynsham at a place called the Manor Lodge B&B. It was okay but cheap and there's not much going on in Keynsham. However, the B&B was very close to the railway station and it's only 10 minutes to Bath. Bath station is right in the centre. I lived in Somerset until I left for uni and used to go to Bath fairly frequently. The town centre was almost unrecognisable from the place I saw 25 years ago, and for the better I'd say. We took the open top bus around Bath which was a lot better than I expected, it really is a lovely place.
There has beem big changes in Bath over the past 10 years with more to come. The arrival point has finally been ripped out and offers the visitor a wholly bettrr experience/view.

Like may UK cities, local industry has been decimated an the expansion of the education sector has grown and continues to do so. The student accomodatiom requirement will grow as the University of Bath expands it's offering and Bath Spa University ups it's game too.

As I understand it, the main city Police Staion was demolished to make way for.... more student accomodation.

The need for more accomodation for students has also led to new build along the A4 going west from the city centre along the Lower Bristol Road. This has affected new hotel development. The latest build is the Malaysiam owned (YTL which also owns Thermae Bath Spa and Wessex Water) 5* Gaindborough Hotel which is a conversion of a Bath College buiilding. The night rate is £250+

The main supply of visitor accomodation is the Guesthouse/B&B sector. As it always was. There are 2 Travelodge hotels, a Premier Inn and a Holiday Inn Express but at this time of year the cheaper end of the market is usually on 100% occupation.

At the start of the next academic year there will be another increase in student numbers arriving, which may prove interesting in a physically small but busy Tourist City, with a lot of city centre residents and clubs and bars chasing the student 'dollar' 7 nights a week.

Another dynamic is the electrification of the the gWr serive from Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads which will reduce journey times. A lot of Bath residents already travel to London for work. Hpuse prices are already seeing an uplift. The estimate is that Bath to London train journey times will drop to 60 minutes fro the current 90 minues which will mean Bath could be seen as a London Village.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...roperty-catch-a-train-to-Bath-in-an-hour.html

The link is a bit trite but who knows?

I am likely to spend more time in Ireland as I have long since reduced popping into the city centre.

Too msmy students and tourists bah humbug [emoji5]

Welcome to Bath - A World Heritage Site...

Steve

Last edited:
I organized my own university visits (*). If you're serious about leaving home and being an independent adult it's not exactly a feat of Hercules, is it? Pffft. ;)

(*) Actually, that's not quite true. They gave me a lift to Cambridge because they wanted a day out there.

Mine did the same.

Just a sĺight adjunct

The sports facility (Team Bath) is mainly funded by private companies, federations and main sports bodies.

The success of the olympic swimmer from the Uni will see funding for the pools/coaches etc continue and even EPL teams, eg Southampton FC, pay for use of the facilities. The faculties are funded from the student fees and research funding. Numbers per faculty is key and student numers and therefore fee income will continue to rise, hence the new student accomodation builds. The next new university build is a new library.

I am no great fan of the Uni but it is well manged and has a well earned reputation for success.

Thanks again to everyone for your replies - I'm home after a few days working away so just starting to look into places.
Not really sure why it is me who has to do this, or am I subconsciously trying to get her to move out..?

Thanks again to everyone for your replies - I'm home after a few days working away so just starting to look into places.
Not really sure why it is me who has to do this, or am I subconsciously trying to get her to move out..?
Ah... the conundrum of our offspring. All three of mine went to uni..... years later you look in the mirror and reality hits... Why why why -

Buy a sports car and 'pretend' it's a money pit otherwise the 'Bank of Dad' gets robbed regularly.

It's futile as the grandchildren are so cute... even the one who starts Uni this September......... [emoji27]

Well, Bath is a very photogenic city, maybe you're subconsciously arranging a nice day out with your camera?!

You 'avin a larf..?

She has way more money than me (but I have more lenses than she does..)
Money or disposable income.... there is a difference!

My cascade of photographic kit to my kids and now to theirs was origimally a pleasure but now a burden.

One of my nieees is now going on about some 'Canon DSLR, looks cute in white with matching whkte lenses"... my heart dropped as I thouhht oh no.... L series desires in an 18yo. Turns out the 100D, kit lens and EF 40mm was produced in white once upon a time..

Had a good laugh when I rang her dad....

Well, Bath is a very photogenic city, maybe you're subconsciously arranging a nice day out with your camera?!
Early morning in the summer is the best time.... bdfore the first trains bring tourists and workers.

I had some great times with the early light, especially arount Pulteney Bridge and the Weir. Once the city gets busy stick your favourite 'discrete' lens on and enjoy the people and their antics. A tee shirt printed "Welcome to Bath - now go home" is not recommended.

Just think it should be mentioned that Bath has two universities. Bath University is the bigger and tends more to the sciences (my nephew is learning how to take brains to bits, or something, there). Bath Spa University is just out of town and is more about humanities. Both have good reputations.

Bath would be so convenient for us from North Wales, well better than Queens Belfast which is daughters first choice, she has an unconditional offer from Bangor, North Wales which is about an hours drive from us.o_O:)

she has an unconditional offer from Bangor, North Wales which is about an hours drive from us.o_O:)
So you'll be sabotaging her revision efforts to make sure she doesn't get her first choice? ;)

Reactions: nog
So you'll be sabotaging her revision efforts to make sure she doesn't get her first choice? ;)
Good? news was she got excellent results and we left her in Belfast early September. Having a great time and hopefully studying a bit as well. You have reminded me to apply to Guiness book of records, think we may have the record for fitting the most luggage into a family car.:eek::rolleyes:

. You have reminded me to apply to Guiness book of records, think we may have the record for fitting the most luggage into a family car.:eek::rolleyes:

Well done, it's an art! :D
(Hope she settles in and does great at uni. :) )

Reactions: nog
Catching the Christmas Fair..?
We may just meet you there !
The Xmas fair has been mental the last couple of years.

The decorations are already up according to my neighbour. I always find a reason not to visit when the shops are open.

Back