Cheapest place to get a 5diii?

Name
sam
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm after a 5diii. I've seen them on paramoz quite reasonable if you pay via bacs.

Has anyone seen a really good price recently?

Britain prices aren't bad tbh, current cashback and free grip is a pretty good deal

I'm after a 5diii. I've seen them on paramoz quite reasonable if you pay via bacs.

Has anyone seen a really good price recently?

I assume it's Panamoz. ;) You may or may not know, that their stock are so called 'grey imports' and so are not UK stock. They say they pay the import duties which some grey importers don't. If you are considering grey importers though there are others out there which may or may not offer deals as good. As always with grey imports be aware of all your options should things go wrong, which fingers crossed it never would ;)

I bought a Nikon D200 many years ago from DigitalRev on eBay, and part of the deal was that they would pay any Import Duty charged, which it was, and I had to pay, but they reimbursed me. At the time I was unaware that Nikon would not have fixed the camera had anything had gone wrong as it was an import. Luckily nothing went wrong with it. :D

Camerapricebuster is a good place to look for UK stock prices.

I have decided mine is coming from HERE. UK based with people to talk to and quite a lot of good customer feedback.

My eye was caught recently by the "grip and software" offer, which if you were going to buy them anyway is quite a saving, but I already have LR and PSE11, and don't want a grip, so not so attractive as I would have to sell them on.

As you see HDEW are not offering that deal.

HTH

David

I assume it's Panamoz. ;) You may or may not know, that their stock are so called 'grey imports' and so are not UK stock. They say they pay the import duties which some grey importers don't. If you are considering grey importers though there are others out there which may or may not offer deals as good. As always with grey imports be aware of all your options should things go wrong, which fingers crossed it never would ;)

I bought a Nikon D200 many years ago from DigitalRev on eBay, and part of the deal was that they would pay any Import Duty charged, which it was, and I had to pay, but they reimbursed me. At the time I was unaware that Nikon would not have fixed the camera had anything had gone wrong as it was an import. Luckily nothing went wrong with it. :D

Camerapricebuster is a good place to look for UK stock prices.

Thanks - I know they are grey imports. However when we are talking around £500 in difference I will live with that.

I think panamoz are the best price at the moment so will order from them.

HDEW are only £80 more than Panamoz, does anyone know if their stock is grey import or not? (HDEW I mean) If not that's a very keen price and comes with three year warrantee.

They are grey imports HDEW (the no cashback part gives it away). Panamoz also give you 5% off if you pay by bacs - which is a fair amount when you are spending close to 2k.

I have bought Canon lenses from hdew, and they were fine to deal with.

Yes, they are 'grey imports', but the saving is worthwhile. After 1 year, its the same as having bought UK stock, as Canon's warranty is only 1 year anyway, and you will have saved money.

However, I very recently bought a new 5D MkIII, for which I part exchanged my 7D, getting a fair price. So this came from a UK stock retailer.

The 5D came with a free BG-E11 battery grip, plus Lightroom 5 and Premier Elements 11.

The grip and LR5 I have since sold on, as I didn't want the grip, and already had LR5.

I would certainly buy my lenses from hdew again.

Dave

Last edited:
I have bought Canon lenses from hdew, and they were fine to deal with.

Yes, they are 'grey imports', but the saving is worthwhile. After 1 year, its the same as having bought UK stock, as Canon's warranty is only 1 year anyway, and you will have saved money.

However, I very recently bought a new 5D MkIII, for which I part exchanged my 7D, getting a fair price. So this came from a UK stock retailer.

The 5D came with a free BG-E11 battery grip, plus Lightroom 5 and Premier Elements 11.

The grip and LR5 I have since sold on, as I didn't want the grip, and already had LR5.

I would certainly buy my lenses from hdew again.

Dave

I want the grip - I just don't want to pay around £500 for one!

UK prices are a rip off. It's exactly the same product.

The UK rrp for the 5D MkIII 'Grip' is £249.

The hdew price is £189

Dave

Last edited:
The UK rrp for the 5D MkIII 'Grip' is £249.

Dave

Dave - if you buy a 5diii and get a "free" grip, then it will cost you more than £500 more than ordering it from abroad!

Yep, I know.

The 5d MkIII from hdew would have cost £1925, some £400 cheaper than what I paid.

So, yes we do 'pay through the nose' for so called 'non-grey UK stock'.

It does make you wonder how people like hdew can import a 5D MkIII into the UK, sell it £400 cheaper, inc vat, than retailers sourcing from Canon UK, and still make a profit.

Dave

Yep, I know.

The 5d MkIII from hdew would have cost £1925, some £400 cheaper than what I paid.

So, yes we do 'pay through the nose' for so called 'non-grey UK stock'.

It does make you wonder how people like hdew can import a 5D MkIII into the UK, sell it £400 cheaper, inc vat, than retailers sourcing from Canon UK, and still make a profit.

Dave

I think Canon sell their products at a different price in different markets! This goes for loads of things and even apple try and rip off uk customers! So they pay less at wholesale. They also probably don't pay all the taxes they should, and certainly try and get around VAT. However I don't really care about that. Ultimately, a lot of British companies are greedy, whilst there are still people who will pay silly money for a "british" dslr they will charge it.

£337 of which is VAT.. which you're "avoiding" by buying from HK. Actual difference in price, about £60.

£337 of which is VAT.. which you're "avoiding" by buying from HK. Actual difference in price, about £60.

You are conveniently ignoring the cost of sending an expensive camera across the world.

Plus £60 is a lot of money to most people.

Hdew will issue a vat invoice on request so in this particular case you are incorrect. The difference really was circa £400.

just got my 5d mkiii from hdew, really quick service. took 3 or 4 days. comes exactly as the camera would if i had got it from a shop in the UK. plus you get a better 3 year warranty. 1 with canon and the other 2 from a 3rd party insurer.

So you get a better price, better warranty and its the same camera. No brainer really....

I bought my 5D3 from Hdew Cameras as well as a 5D2 with 24-105 f4L kit and I highly recommend them. They use EU based cameras so they qualify for the Canon warranty for the first year and they use Canon approved service centres for the other 2 years. At £1925 it's probably the cheapest UK based seller if that really matters.

I have also bought a few things from Panamoz and had the same great level of service that I got from Hdew but generally at a cheaper price. The 5D3 paid by BACS is £1753.70 so you'd save over £170 from the Hdew price, but is that worth the peace of mind for the warranty. I had a Sigma 150-500 OS go wrong after 11 months and I contacted Panamoz thinking the worst. I got an email telling me to send the lens to a UK address, which I sent next day by RMSD, and only 11 days after I'd first contacted Panamoz I had a brand new lens delivered to the door. That's probably a quicker turnaround than sending it back to a UK company for replacement or repairs and so I cannot say anything bad against Panamoz's level of service for sales or repairs.

Both sellers give you tracking numbers so you can keep an eye on the delivery schedule but both usually deliver within 3-5 days depending on the order day. Both sellers give excellent levels of service as well. Hdew paid extra for a RMSD saturday AM delivery as they knew I needed it for the sunday for a shoot.

UK prices are a rip off. It's exactly the same product.
No they aren't. The "rip off" is the VAT, which you evade if you buy direct from the likes of Panamoz. UK prices are generally amongst the most competitive in the world, if you ignore remove VAT, GST, local sales taxes, etc.

Hdew will issue a vat invoice on request so in this particular case you are incorrect. The difference really was circa £400.
Some confusion here it seems.

HDEW will issue a VAT invoice on request. So if you ask for one, then yes, you've saved £400.

But if everybody did that, HDEW would probably have to put their prices up and the £400 saving would melt away. I've seen evidence which implies that the reason they don't issue VAT invoices automatically, as other retailers do, is that there are several companies in the same ownership and not all are VAT registered even though they demonstrably turn over more than the £73,000 VAT threshold. This creates a clear opportunity for abuse of the VAT system: ask for a VAT invoice and it goes through the books of a VAT-registered company, so it all looks pukka; don't ask for a VAT invoice and it goes through the books of a non-VAT-registered company.

Some confusion here it seems.

HDEW will issue a VAT invoice on request. So if you ask for one, then yes, you've saved £400.

But if everybody did that, HDEW would probably have to put their prices up and the £400 saving would melt away. I've seen evidence which implies that the reason they don't issue VAT invoices automatically, as other retailers do, is that there are several companies in the same ownership and not all are VAT registered even though they demonstrably turn over more than the £73,000 VAT threshold. This creates a clear opportunity for abuse of the VAT system: ask for a VAT invoice and it goes through the books of a VAT-registered company, so it all looks pukka; don't ask for a VAT invoice and it goes through the books of a non-VAT-registered company.

Some confusion indeed...
" Hdew will issue a vat invoice on request [Bold]so in this particular case [/Bold]you are incorrect. The difference really was circa £400."
You appear to be quoting me as confused yet agree with all I said?
How they do it was not mentioned simply that the post claiming there was no £400 saving in this particular case was incorrect.

If you have evidence as you allude I suggest you tell the authorities as otherwise you may be in potential legal hot water by one or the other parties, either stating untruths or being aware but failing to report it.
Ianal but you may wish to check with one?

If HDEW was totally legit, each and every purchase would come with a full VAT invoice without having to ask for it specially.

AFAIK, the law only requires retailers to issue VAT invoices when they are requested.

Indeed, HMRC concur on that point

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/charging/vat-invoices.htm

When a VAT invoice must be issued

If you are registered for VAT you must give any VAT-registered customers a VAT invoice for any standard-rated or reduced-rated goods or services you sell them.

If you are a retailer, you do not need to issue a VAT invoice or receipt unless your customer asks for one.

Now, if you are suggesting that HDEW are not paying VAT on the goods they import nor charging VAT to customers in the UK, then that would be a matter of great interest to the authorities. However, I would be very surprised if that were the case.

Last edited:
The camera is coming tomorrow - paid by bacs. Emailed them asking to dispatch asap as need it for friday, and I was going to have to borrow a camera. They upgraded the shipping free of charge. Will comment tomorrow when ups deliver, but so far I'm very impressed. If I ordered from John lewis paying silly money it would not have been any quicker!

I have decided mine is coming from HERE. UK based with people to talk to and quite a lot of good customer feedback.

My eye was caught recently by the "grip and software" offer, which if you were going to buy them anyway is quite a saving, but I already have LR and PSE11, and don't want a grip, so not so attractive as I would have to sell them on.

As you see HDEW are not offering that deal.

HTH

David

I bought one from them with the 24-105 lens and a genuine Canon grip also a 100mm L macro lens. Great service via the phone when I placed my order, good delivery, I was very happy with their service. Hopefully never to be needed but the three year guarantee on the body is nice to have.

Last edited:
Check out wex you find them very good.

£2329 Includes the free grip and software.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-...ital-slr-camera-body/p1530010?go=kits_bundles

That seems ok - however I am now the owner of a 5d iii. I would like a grip, but I don't need one.

Anyway - quick review/update for anyone interested.

I received the camera very quickly, and it was well packaged. However it did not have an eye cup, and had a 6d strap rather than a 5diii one. I am not bothered about the strap, apart from if I ever want to sell the camera. I have contacted them and they have asked me to try and buy them myself from amazon and suggested a cheap tacky strap, which I would not buy.

Overall I would order from them again. Yes it's a bit of a worry bank transferring a lot of money. And it's not been pure plain sailing, but the savings are worth the hassle (atleast for me).

Back