Cheapish Waterproof compact

Edit My Images
No
Anyone have any recommendations for a waterproof compact, up to around 3m would be ok. It will only be used once per year mucking around on holidays in the pool with my son. Something around £100 or less would be good. Something that takes stills and video.

Thanks, that fuji looks the kind of thing I'm after. On holiday my son spends more time under the water than on top and I thought I'd try some shots for fun. Have you any experience with the Fuji?

I've got an xp60 myself. I bought it as a cheap little waterproof for us to take to Egypt a year or two ago. It's a great little camera. Not as good as my dslr by any means but I took it down to around 10m and it coped perfectly and chucked it around/in the pool many a time.

Taking it to Crete next week for the same thing. Best little waterproof compact I've had for the money

Thanks Ben, I'm not expecting anything near DSLR quality, just something to have a bit of fun with in the pool/slides etc :)

You won't go far wrong with the Fuji then I've been real impressed with mine for the money.

i bought my young son one to have a play with and to be honest it's better than expected
he's not used it much yet but i took a quick snap in the back yard and for the price and functions of the camera it's not half bad

typical mathew with food all over his face

straight from the camera in full auto no enhancements done

You won't go far wrong with the Fuji then I've been real impressed with mine for the money.
I got an XP30 from the Fuji refurb store a few years back for very little money and have always been impressed with it for the money. If I was looking for another for the sort of occasional use this one has had I would go with another Fuji. If I was planning to use it more I would look at the Olympus TG models as they seem to be a high end compact cmera that just happens to be waterproof.

Took this with the Fuji snorkelling in the Maldives

I can vouch for the olympus tg. Very robust. Mine's been in the north sea almost twice a week for the past year. Whatever you get, rinse it after it's been in the sea and let the seals dry properly. i use a fine paint brush for getting any sand out. So i'm not always holding the camera, I use a charity wrist band to strap it to my arm. Not the best for swimming with but ok for a short while :)
View attachment 38284

I can vouch for the olympus tg. Very robust. Mine's been in the north sea almost twice a week for the past year. Whatever you get, rinse it after it's been in the sea and let the seals dry properly. i use a fine paint brush for getting any sand out. So i'm not always holding the camera, I use a charity wrist band to strap it to my arm. Not the best for swimming with but ok for a short while :)
View attachment 38284

I use an original Wii Mote wrist strap with mine when snorkelling, the original wrist strap was just a loop of string so entirely useless!

I've got a floating wrist strap thing off eBay. Was only a couple of quid and it's great to just chuck across the pool or wherever and easy to retrieve then I just put my hand/wrist through the band when in the sea.

The band thing keeps it out of the way when i'm on the body board. It stays in place better against neoprene. Swimming, sometimes I loop it around my cossie strap and shove it down the front so it's out of the way :)

Back