Cheetah Rock - Whipsnade

IanC_UK

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ian Cook
Edit My Images
Yes
Went to the members only preview of Cheetah Rock on Wednesday, very nice enclosure :) and 4 Cheetahs now instead of the 1 lonely one :)

All 4 will be sent off to different collections once the Zoo's new additions (6 North African Cheetahs) have arrived in April and completed their 6 month quarantine :)

A couple of pics from the day :)

Really need to edit that fence post out :(
Cheetah4.jpg

Cheetah1.jpg

Cheetah2.jpg

All taken with the 1d Mk3 and 600 F4 (possibly with the 1.4TC too) :)

Lovely shots, and beautiful animals.

Excellent stuff Ian (y)

I was there too, although I'm not a member so couldn't enter the members only bit. Did manage to get this though:

IMG_1857.jpg

I was trying out a rented 70-200 f4 IS. I think I saw you leaving the wolves just as I was getting there, I was wondering who the posh git with the fancy lens was :D!

I was trying out a rented 70-200 f4 IS. I think I saw you leaving the wolves just as I was getting there, I was wondering who the posh git with the fancy lens was :D!

LOL Yeah unfortunately its only me :)

The new enclosure for the Cheetahs is spectacular isnt it ? :) cant wait for the grasses to recover from all the work and start to look a bit more natural :)

Great shot by the way :)

Thanks everybody once again for the comments :)

My membership is indeed a ZSL (Zoological Society of London) one so i can get into London Zoo as well, is called Friends Of ZSL, you can get a membership just for London or Whipsnade though i think.

Costs about 50 quid a year but only have to go a handful of times and its paid for itself :)

Wow. Third shot for me.

Looks like you had a great time!

Membership is £50 for Whipsnade only or £61 for "Friends of ZSL", which is both London & Whipsnade.

Think I may have to get membership for the summer since Whipsnade is only 45 mins away ...

Number 2 is a cracker Ian :clap::clap:

Did you see on BBC London tonight about the new bird enclosure they're opening at London Zoo tomorrow. Loads of rare & exotic birds flying & walking around you! Should make for some great photography!

I want one :love:

Nice shots Ian but 2 and 3 are the poodles privates! (y)

Was going to go to this but had to work..so are there some good vantage points Ian..

shame about the tail in the 2nd..

3rd is very good really get the feel of the power of the cat..

tfs

imho

md(y)

Was going to go to this but had to work..so are there some good vantage points Ian..

They have 2 points just outside the exhibit with low fences and water in front of you so very good for photographers, at the moment the grass is looking a bit "just put down" but i reckon in a couple f months once things have settled it will be much more natural.

Membership is £50 for Whipsnade only or £61 for "Friends of ZSL", which is both London & Whipsnade.

Think I may have to get membership for the summer since Whipsnade is only 45 mins away ...

If you go to Whipsnade, you'll get a leaflet about becoming a 'friend of the zoo'. If you fill in the leaflet and send it off, you get that days admission taken off the price and a good discount. Works out about £39 for the year or something like that. Very worthwhile, and Whipsnade is very photographer friendly too!

Great shots Ian, love the 2nd one from the first bunch. There were no cheetahs there when we went a few weeks back as it was all still being built.

Actually you can get the days admission off at the little hut just inside the entrance too Cheryl :) They can do the membership there and then, including photo for membership card :)

There has been a single cheetah at the zoo for 2 years, it was just inside the entrance on the right, its now in the new enclosure :) was always easy to miss though where it was. And the enclosure wasnt great

Back