Cheetah

Can't really see that any part of it is in focus, probably due to motion blur and slow shutter speed. Also the subject is looking away which ain't the best.

you replies noted and thank you

I thought it gave the impression of the animal on the move ,everyone sees things differently. I prefer to look at a picture for what it is and overlook any technical side of it. I do believe members can be drawn too much in the "correctness" of a photo and miss what the photo depicts.

On a slightly different observation is those members who ask for help and advice, get a response and don't bother to reply. Sometimes the knowledge passed on can't be found in books and given freely to point in the right direction. To me that is bad manners

Last edited:
Well, technically, it is in a zoo and you've said that yourself, so no one can get bogged down with any illusion there ... especially with the fence there ;)

As for "speed" it's a cheetah, the fastest land mammal on earth apparently, so a pose that depicts that would be better, but knowing it's in a zoo, it's difficult to imagine it getting anywhere close to it's maximum speed.

As said, it's looking away, at a fence at a zoo. It's not wild and free and it's not chasing anything at speed.

Nice colours though (y)

Some times one has to get what one can. This was the case here with the Cheetah doing the same on each pass.

I dont know if you had any personal restrictions, kids, time etc, but sometimes you just have to leave an enclosure and return a couple of times. I love Chester zoo as it's so big, but not sparse; there's always something to see on the way to another section. Cheetahs might be your favourite animal and grabbing anything might be satisfactory on a personal level, but you have to see how other people will view it (and I dont mean family and friends) if you're looking for a response on a forum.

There are only a handful of regular people commenting on the Zoo forum (as far as I can see) these days, but putting an obvious zoo photo in the wild and free section isn't going to encourage positive feedback. I've been sorting some photos out for a friend to look at that I know would get heavily criticised on the forum, but my friend will enjoy them as an animal lover; i've got hundreds unprocessed that I can see would need work to even be acknowledged here, but I just post some of the better ones.

It's disappointing when animals don't 'perform' or the light is crap, or some brat get's in the way, or a smear happens to be on the window exactly where you don't want it to be, or, or, or ... that's the challenge, the fun of it. There are animal lovers on the forum who don't like zoos, so you wont see them commenting in that section regardless of how 'natural' the image looks and how well the poster has managed to overcome the challenges of enclosures. There are people who only comment on a thread because they have been to that particular zoo and leave nothing on threads containing better photos. There are some that comment on what they perceive to be an captive animal's state of mind, without knowing anything about the subject and saying nothing about the photo itself.

It's a photo forum and your photo is in the wrong section and does not create the impression you wish it to. Get back over there (are you a member of the zoo?) and try again (y)

Understood new2me and thank you for your reply. Unfortunately we are now in another part of the country and to get to Chester zoo is about a 5/6 hr journey one way being near Brighton on the south coast

Last edited:
Back