Critique Chinatown New York

Ok feed back it is :)

1. China town has such a vast array of colours- why shoot or convert to mono?

2, Eye contact would have been nice with the subject sat down

3. He is far to central in the image for me

Just a few initial thoughts

Les :)

I'm ok with the balance with the ladies in the middle and blokes on either side and I'm ok with no eye contact so all in all I do like it but Les does make a point which could be valid but as you took the picture Raymond colour or B&W is down to you :D

I don't mind the mono, there is nice contrast in the scene

the side of the guys head is very bright, perhaps burnt out? because he's bright relative to the rest of the scene, he's the subject.. but he's just sat there, side-on doing nothing.. so personally, I dont find it very interesting.

there are nice layers in the scene though, with the guy on the left and lady in the background.

Ok feed back it is :)

1. China town has such a vast array of colours- why shoot or convert to mono?

2, Eye contact would have been nice with the subject sat down

3. He is far to central in the image for me

Just a few initial thoughts

Les :)
Hi Les,
Thank you for taking the time to give me some feedback; I appreciate it. At the time, I was nervous about going up and asking for a photograph. I like to edit in black & white sometimes when it comes to street photography. I don't feel confident that much doing regular edits. You're right about the colors in Chinatown standing out.

Last edited:
I'm ok with the balance with the ladies in the middle and blokes on either side and I'm ok with no eye contact so all in all I do like it but Les does make a point which could be valid but as you took the picture Raymond colour or B&W is down to you :D
Hi Alan,
Thank you for taking the time to give me some feedback; I appreciate it. I like to edit with black & white it's my taste, and I find it hard sometimes to do regular edits. I find myself overthinking during the editing process, and I still need more practice. ;)

I don't mind the mono, there is nice contrast in the scene

the side of the guys head is very bright, perhaps burnt out? because he's bright relative to the rest of the scene, he's the subject.. but he's just sat there, side-on doing nothing.. so personally, I dont find it very interesting.

there are nice layers in the scene though, with the guy on the left and lady in the background.
Hi Alan,
Thank you for taking the time to give me some feedback; I appreciate it. I'm glad you said that because the picture felt off, even though I like it. The guy on the left is reading the newspaper, and the lady in the middle should be the focus point.

I would like to see the colour version, yes it would be manic but it’s a manic city. It’s great that on the far left you have New York City on the T-shirt to identify the city.

I would like to see the colour version, yes it would be manic but it’s a manic city. It’s great that on the far left you have New York City on the T-shirt to identify the city.
IMG_0050.jpg
Sorry for the late reply, and thank you for the feedback. Here is the color edit for some reason it's not showing the one I edited.

Last edited:
He's in interesting light but it hasn't caught his face and ultimately the main feature is a bored bloke on a phone.

I like the guy with the paper and the woman at the very back though. Maybe.. if you cropped the right and top & did some dodging to bring out the 4 people in the back it would make a stronger image?
Thank you for the feedback; I must be doing something wrong when I try to upload it. It will only show the unedited one for some reason, and I don't know why that keeps happening. Do you have that issue when you try to upload photos?

Back