Chinese filters,

Galaxy66

Jeremy Beadle
Name
My name is Mal not Jeremy :)
Edit My Images
Yes
I am in need of two B+W UV O filters I have an ad in the wanted section but not hopeful of a response. I have been looking on Ebay and there are a lot being sold from China, does anyone know if these are genuine? my gut instinct says no:thinking:

Don't know about China but HKDirect on Ebay are about half the price on filters from over here.
Have bought a couple in the past and appear genuine.
They state on the page "Made in Germany and are 100% genuine"
C

There was a post on here a couple of days ago from a guy in the photo trade who has seen a few fakes, including Manfrotto tripods and B+W filters. He said they were pretty much indistinguishable unless compared side by side.

Apparently you can tell a fake B+W by the light weight, as all B+Ws have brass mounts, not alloy. You can also tell if a filter is coated or not - single coating shows reflections off the glass as blue, and multi-coating as geeen (generally). Non coated filters will always reflect back white.

I doubt that anybody would bother to coat a fake filter of any kind, so that's a clue, but the only way to ensure the genuine article is to buy from a respected retailer that gets stock through offical channels. It's easy enough to check who the official importers are in each country, although if they don't come from them they can still be genuine of course, via a different route. Just that if they do, then they are genuine for sure.

I'm not so sure about the brass/alloy thing with the B+W filters proving it's a fake.
I've noticed that maxsaver.net (formerly hvstar) have sold both brass and alloy versions of B+W filters for quite a while. You can buy either, and they make no secret of it.

I'd always assumed that B+W like Heliopan only did brass mounts, but perhaps not?

I'm not so sure about the brass/alloy thing with the B+W filters proving it's a fake.
I've noticed that maxsaver.net (formerly hvstar) have sold both brass and alloy versions of B+W filters for quite a while. You can buy either, and they make no secret of it.

I'd always assumed that B+W like Heliopan only did brass mounts, but perhaps not?

You may be right. It's hard to be absolute with these things. I have only had one B+W filter and that had a brass mount, and this is from their website:
"3. Why does B+W use brass rings?

Aluminum rings will often bind to the aluminum housing of the lens. Brass won't bind to aluminum, making it the superior choice for filters.
"

But it doesn't actually say that all B+W filters have brass mounts, just implies it. Perhaps in the same way, Hoya makes quite a lot of fuss about the importance of coatings on filters and it reads in such a way as to imply that all Hoya filters are single coated at least. But quite a few of them are not :shrug:

Stick to official suppliers is the only certain way I guess.

There was a post on here a couple of days ago from a guy in the photo trade who has seen a few fakes, including Manfrotto tripods and B+W filters. He said they were pretty much indistinguishable unless compared side by side.

Apparently you can tell a fake B+W by the light weight, as all B+Ws have brass mounts, not alloy. You can also tell if a filter is coated or not - single coating shows reflections off the glass as blue, and multi-coating as geeen (generally). Non coated filters will always reflect back white. Goes to check those I already have.:D

I doubt that anybody would bother to coat a fake filter of any kind, so that's a clue, but the only way to ensure the genuine article is to buy from a respected retailer that gets stock through offical channels. It's easy enough to check who the official importers are in each country, although if they don't come from them they can still be genuine of course, via a different route. Just that if they do, then they are genuine for sure.

Well I have seve B/W filters of various types and they all have brass mounts. Whether that means they are genuine or not ?
They all appear coated as far as I can tell, and do what they are meant to do.All have been purchased in UK except two mentioned in other post.
C

Currently I am in Hong Kong until Mid September.
Could help out to get anything from Hong Kong to UK or USA.
But then wonder if I can get price as low as HK based website and still get a reasonable profit..:D

Back