Choosing a mobile phone

Edit My Images
Yes
:help: I know nothing about mobile phones & wasn't helped by a visit to phones 4U this lunchtime - being told by the smiley salesperson that I needed phone XYZ because "they're really cool & I've got one" :shake:. So my old Nokia 3410 has given up the ghost and I need a replacement phone.

What do I want - good functionality, easy to use, robust. Also want to go hands free in the car but uncertain what extras I need to do this (presume voice dialling ?) Additionally don't want to pay a shed load of money if I can help it.

Any advice / recommendations to point me in the right direction very much appreciated

TIA
Andrew

For in car handsfree, anything with bluetooth will do you they're really cool and I've..umm :)

Contract or Pay as You Go?? What network?? And you don't have to stay with nokia.

Most mobile phone menu systems are very similar these days so you gotta go on the feel and look of the phones. Samsung are producing some great units at the moment and so are Sony Ericsson. Get a brochure, decide on the functions you need, and want and go from there.

For the record i have a Sony Ericsson K800i which came with a free bluetooth headset. Fantastic phone with a great camera and plenty of functions.

I second the k800i, even though my bluetooth broke on the first. Saying that, SE were happy to send me a new one.

I too was gonna suggest the K800i. its a great phone! I have a nokia 6280 and a samsung E900 but if i was to get another phone the sony k800i i would go for!

Ive got Nokia N73, great phone, doddle to use, and....3.2mp
camera with carl zeiss lens:woot:

I like it
Dean:)

Contract or Pay as You Go?? What network?? And you don't have to stay with nokia.

Most mobile phone menu systems are very similar these days so you gotta go on the feel and look of the phones. Samsung are producing some great units at the moment and so are Sony Ericsson. Get a brochure, decide on the functions you need, and want and go from there.

For the record i have a Sony Ericsson K800i which came with a free bluetooth headset. Fantastic phone with a great camera and plenty of functions.

Doh forgot to say PAYG on Virgin & I'd rather not have to use one of those headset thingies if at all possible

Iv'e had a Nokia N95 for a couple of months now and love it..:)

Far too many functions for me but handy for picking up my emails and a quick browse round the web..(y)

PS: Did I mention you can even make phone calls on it..:D

As others have said - stick to Nokia, my work mobile is a Nokia and it has bounced down many flights of stairs, kicked across numerous car parks, airport lounges and the hard factory floor (only when it falls out my top pocket you understand ;) ) and it keeps on going. Only thing is you can't get it anymore otherwise I'd go and find out what model number it is.

I've found the Sony menu system easy to use. My friend has a Nokia 6300, and the menu doesn't seem to be as nice, thought the screen is nice, maybe I'm used to mine. ;)

I had the hunt for a phone a couple of months ago, and settled for the SE K750i. I was looking for features which you may not be interested in though, mp3 player and camera. I've found it a very good purchase. I bought a plastic cover off ebay for 99p for protection after my brother told me he dropped his phone 3 floors off a ship onto the ground and the phone survived because of the plastic cover. I'd advise everyone to get one.

The basic Nokia's are supposedly built like bricks.:eek:

I was flicking through the TV channels last night and QVC had a hands free microphone/speaker device that goes into the lighter socket in a car, and works via Bluetooth with any phone. Worth a look if you don't want any ear piece

Happy hunting, there's enough to choose from. ;)

Stick to Nokia. Can't go wrong.

Can't go wrong with SE either. K800i is great. It's smaller and the camera is faster than the n73 according to reviews. I've just bought the Motorola Razr 2, which I love. I just wanted a nice looking phone to call, text and email. I take my camera everywhere so I don't need that. It has a 2mp camera though.

Iv'e had a Nokia N95 for a couple of months now and love it..:)

Far too many functions for me but handy for picking up my emails and a quick browse round the web..(y)

PS: Did I mention you can even make phone calls on it..:D

Same here, nothing beats sitting at work listening to Mp3s and browsing these forums.

Strange that they allow mobile phones given that they all have cameras these days.

Whatever you do, don't get the iPhone.

Speaking from personnal experiance? net rumours? or just plain old anti-Apple? point of view.

I was planning on an iPhone until I saw it was only 8gb so instead bought a N95 and ill be getting a 160gb Classic next time im near an Apple store.

Speaking from personnal experiance? net rumours? or just plain old anti-Apple? point of view.

I was planning on an iPhone until I saw it was only 8gb so instead bought a N95 and ill be getting a 160gb Classic next time im near an Apple store.

Mainly because you can get much better for much less. iPhone will end up costing £300 on an 18 month £35p/m contract (i seem to remember from The Times)... which is a lot of money considering some of the other options out there.

As others have said - stick to Nokia, my work mobile is a Nokia and it has bounced down many flights of stairs, kicked across numerous car parks, airport lounges and the hard factory floor (only when it falls out my top pocket you understand ;) ) and it keeps on going. Only thing is you can't get it anymore otherwise I'd go and find out what model number it is.

whereas ive had the oposite, ive had 2 nokias die due to minor falls, yet my S-E k750i (which actually thinks its a w800i due to flashing different software into it!) has been dropped countless times and survived, scratched, banged, walked into tables and more impoortantly its spent a minute submerged in a drainage gulley about 30cm under the water while switched on and its still working perfectly!

It is pretty wicked it must be said. I was also put off by the fact the internet only works in wireless hotspots. I thought the point of having internet on a phone was so you could access it without being in a wireless hotspot..

It is pretty wicked it must be said. I was also put off by the fact the internet only works in wireless hotspots. I thought the point of having internet on a phone was so you could access it without being in a wireless hotspot..

Thats not true. It has grps and edge support. No 3G yet.

Well, I've had both the Nokia N73 and the SE K800i.

Out of the 2 the K800i makes clearer calls, has better battey life, takes better photos and doesn't pause for 5 seconds when doing anything!

The problem with the Nokia is that Series 60 (the Symbian OS it runs on) isn't particularly quick! It's great for adding extra bits of software etc (which I really do miss). But the moment you try anything else, you realise how the slowness of the interface effects what you're doing.

Things like opening your contacts or starting a new text message mean a 5 second wait while it effectively loads that bit of software. On the K800i it's instant!

However my main reason for ditching the Nokia is that thanks to their somewhat dodgy implimentation of the bluetooth standard, the phone wouldn't work with the built in bluetooth in my car. Again, the SE works flawlessly!

If you can wait, SE have the K850i coming out shortly with a 5MP camera!

Thats not true. It has grps and edge support. No 3G yet.

Don't hold your breath for 3G as it canes the battery too much.

GPRS for internet surfing < chocolate fireguard

EDGE is great apart from having less than 28% UK coverage on o2, therefore = TEH SUCK

No MMS either.

No way will I be getting an iPhone for a good 2 or 3 generations, when the infrastructure has come down in price and is actually available in widespread areas.

Back