Circ Polarizer Filter

Name
graham
Edit My Images
Yes
On Sunday last I used my new circ polarizer filter on my 14-42mm lens in Programme mode but I found the results very disappointing, in fact when I removed the filter the pictures where far more dramatic, ie it was a nice sunny day & the blue sky and clouds looked much better. I also twisted the polarizer whilst attatched to the lens which didn`t seem to have any effect.This is the first time I have used a filer and am fairly new to photography so I am wondering will the filter only work in certain modes.
Can someone please HELP me as a NEWBY.:p:help::help:

it works best at 45 degrees to the sun you then turn it untill the sky etc.goes darker

or did you do that?

sure it wasn't just an ND4 filter you were using??? :D

As said man, you'll find it works best away from the sun, you should be able to see the filter causing the sky to darken then lighten again as you rotate is completely

it works best at 45 degrees to the sun you then turn it untill the sky etc.goes darker

or did you do that?

NO!

Polarisers are ALWAYS most effective at 90 degrees to the sun. Sometimes if the effect at 90 is too strong you might want to turn it down, one way or the other.

There may be another reason why your pics are disappointing.

Were you exposing for the foreground (= dark) but including a lot of sky (= light) in the image and getting over-exposure?

or did you do that?

Sortry to say but its 90Deg to the sun you need also if you are very wide it will only work on part of the image

Do you still have the images, might be worth posting them so we can see the differences

simon

Yes - I'd second that. Post up the images you took with and without the filter, as that might shed some light on what is happening.

Stick with it though, because a polariser can give some lovely results, and certainly worth persevering with. (y)

Thanks for your suggestions, yes it was a bright sunny day and I think I might have been shooting towards the sun hence the BRIGHT results, as I said I am a newby and I will have to try again this Sunday.Unfortunately Crazyjay/Simonkit I dont have the images I deleted them in disgust. Thanks again no doubt I will be coming back with my pics from this Sunday and I can post them for your suggestions.

Back