Circular Polarizer

Depends on your budget. Just my opinion but i would spend a bit extra and buy the Pro 1 D.(Or equivalent) No point in having a nice lens and then putting a bit of medium quality glass in front of it.

I bought a 62mm Hoya Pro1 Circular Polariser from Ebay last week, arrived within 6 days from HK and cost £32 I think. Although I'm not sure whether it's supposed to keep spinning round? The ancient pentax i had would go from one extreme to another, rather than keeping going round the lens, if that makes sense..

I have a Hoya Pro-1D CPL filter (paid £50 from eBay for a 72mm one) and thought that was a reasonable price for the size for a good quality multi coated filter. As others have said, if you are spending money on nice lenses, it makes sense to buy decent filters for best quality, so I'd recommend looking for a Hoya Pro series one.

GafferTape, mine spins around freely so yours should be fine.

Thanks to advice of another member of this forum I have bought last week a 72mm Pro -1 Kenco from Max Saver (Hong Kong) it was about £36 with postage. This is the same as the Hoya Pro-1 understand being made on same production line.

The green label Hoya Circ Pol are nowhere near the quality of the Pro 1 Super.

The difference is in the thickness of the glass, the quality of the actual rings and in the coatings. The green one will be "agricultural" in comparison - that is the only way I can describe it simply.

The Pro 1 Super is thin, light weight, top quality glass with proper multicoatings. There are about 5 different quality grades from the HOYA label. They are not all the same, even if they use the same polarising film between the glass sandwich. Colour casts are one thing that will show up with cheaper quality polarisers - watch the skin tones. A strong magenta is common.

Back