Clarkson suspended by the BBC, TG taken off air.

I don't think that's correct in this instance, if the police find enough reason in the bbc inquiry evidence they'll have no choice but to send it to the cps? bearing in mind JC has admitted it already.

Do you believe the police will pursue a p***ing contest spat unless someone makes a complaint?

If the guy wanted to be taken seriously then he should immedately have reported the incident instead of lying about it.

No...this one is all about the pounds and pence imo.

Undisputed? Or the bbc accepted version of the events?
Danny cohern doesn't like jc, there's been a number of incidents brought up to put jc in a bad light, despite that footage going through producers, editors and the legal department check it all because of the history. Then you've the unseen footage, one of seven takes, released to show jc in a bad light. There's some on the show not part of the original team, put there to report on issues for management?
There's an anti jc camp in the bbc, it doesn't fit with the current thinking of some senior managers and whilst the money comes into it, the bbc don't think that way generally, they see themselves as upholding the British morales in broadcasting. Auntie bbc is very alive.

With all that background, and with hoisin sauce going to hospital (recommended by one of the team?) and the background influences, then it's easy to see why that was the only decision that was going to be made. It's why I said some time ago that his contract would not be renewed, it's the easiest way out for the bbc whilst appearing to uphold aunties morales.

Clarkson was extremely foolish to give them the rope to hang him.
Yes undisputed. JC isn't disputing the events, so why would you? I just don't understand that. Sure I agree with the remainder of your post, however it has no impact on what has happened, he should not have hit the guy, nor abused him verbally for such a sustained period of time. JC isn't disputing that that happened....

If the guy wanted to be taken seriously then he should immedately have reported the incident instead of lying about it.

No...this one is all about the pounds and pence imo.
This makes no sense. If he wanted to sue, why would he have undermined his case by playing down the incident? He also could have made a tidy sum from interviews, which he's not done.

With all that background, and with hoisin sauce going to hospital (recommended by one of the team?) and the background influences, then it's easy to see why that was the only decision that was going to be made. It's why I said some time ago that his contract would not be renewed, it's the easiest way out for the bbc whilst appearing to uphold aunties morales.

Clarkson was extremely foolish to give them the rope to hang him.

Its quite interesting that people wish to through cheap jibes at the victim (calling him hoisin sauce? really?) and seek to defend an ausult on a junior stafff member as the BBC being out to get JC. Maybe if it was your workplace they'd have taken another course of action?

Exactly. A producer, a member of staff, a confirmed physical assault and prolonged verbal abuse by one of the biggest stars there is.

Sorry but I have all sympathy for that member of staff not knowing exactly what to do with fear for his job, and let's face it fear for ever being able to work again in such an industry.

From that perspective I do think JC did the right thing to report it himself, and to me demonstrates he knew he'd done wrong and that it had to come from him. It's the only way any blame or bad feelings could be deflected from the producer. I'm pleased about that.

Last edited:
Its quite interesting that people wish to through cheap jibes at the victim (calling him hoisin sauce? really?) and seek to defend an ausult on a junior stafff member as the BBC being out to get JC. Maybe if it was your workplace they'd have taken another course of action?

LOL - really - sorry ipad changed it to that and I didnt notice...

Yes undisputed. JC isn't disputing the events, so why would you? I just don't understand that. Sure I agree with the remainder of your post, however it has no impact on what has happened, he should not have hit the guy, nor abused him verbally for such a sustained period of time. JC isn't disputing that that happened....

Sorry, can you link to the article where JC has given his version of events?

JC went over and above reasonable behaviour and the outcome was the only one possible

:) damn you auto correct. Mine does that lots. One day I'll read stuff back before I post

A bit like here Hugh :p

Sorry couldn't resist. Anyway just to add something on topic. Regardless of anything that went on it'll be a shame to lose Top Gear in its current format. My wife has dealings with the trio through her work and apparently they are just like 3 best mates constantly ripping the proverbial, which is why I think it works so well. Away from this they also very talented with mechanics

Sorry, can you link to the article where JC has given his version of events?

JC went over and above reasonable behaviour and the outcome was the only one possible
The BBC statement that was linked to earlier in this thread by yourself. It explicitly confirmed that this record of events was agreed undisputed by ALL parties involved.

Can you link to a statement by JC or his lawyers where he disputes the report as issued by the BBC? I know there was lots of speculation prior to this, with many versions of events, many different interpretations, and based on those I was totally on Jeremy's portrait version of events. However, it is now clear that following an investigation that what was reported previously just didn't quite happen. The swing in the air was a punch that connected, calling someone some names turned out to be sustained verbal abuse over a 20 minute period after the person was physically assaulted. JC did not dispute this himself, nor the producer.... All very clear in the official BBC statement.

Ken MacQuarrie said:
Accounts were agreed, based on my interviews, with each participant.

It was not disputed by Jeremy Clarkson or any witness that Oisin Tymon was the victim of an unprovoked physical and verbal attack.

It is all there in black and white in the document that you linked to this thread. I happily stand corrected in my interpretation if I have missed something, so please do share if you think there is a different interpretation.

The BBC statement that was linked to earlier in this thread by yourself. It explicitly confirmed that this record of events was agreed undisputed by ALL parties involved.

Can you link to a statement by JC or his lawyers where he disputes the report as issued by the BBC? I know there was lots of speculation prior to this, with many versions of events, many different interpretations, and based on those I was totally on Jeremy's portrait version of events. However, it is now clear that following an investigation that what was reported previously just didn't quite happen. The swing in the air was a punch that connected, calling someone some names turned out to be sustained verbal abuse over a 20 minute period after the person was physically assaulted. JC did not dispute this himself, nor the producer.... All very clear in the official BBC statement.

It is all there in black and white in the document that you linked to this thread. I happily stand corrected in my interpretation if I have missed something, so please do share if you think there is a different interpretation.

Semantics, it's not undisputed as JC hasn't given his version to anyone other than the BBC. It is the BBC's decision that that is the correct version of events as I said in post 680.

As I've also said, who stays around to have verbal abuse for 20 mins? I'd have walked away long before.

This makes no sense. If he wanted to sue, why would he have undermined his case by playing down the incident? He also could have made a tidy sum from interviews, which he's not done.

Yet.

Mark Rylance?
I don't get to go the theatre anymore since having kids, so it was great to see him in a very rare TV role.

A bit OT but don't forget you can hear Mr Rylance's dulcet tones every day on the BBC in his often overlooked role as Flop in CBeebies "Bing"

Wow, I really need to get out more [emoji53]

Semantics, it's not undisputed as JC hasn't given his version to anyone other than the BBC. It is the BBC's decision that that is the correct version of events as I said in post 680.

As I've also said, who stays around to have verbal abuse for 20 mins? I'd have walked away long before.
Oh come on, really. It is stated JC confirmed it is an accurate account. Sure in theory if at some stage in the future JC disputes it through what ever means then fair enough. But at the moment there is nothing at all to indicate that he disagrees, on the contrary it is documented he agrees.

You would walk away, really? Well I remember as a young lieutenant to got a severe dress down by my captain. No way I would walk away from it.

When someone is under stress, after being physically assaulted, it is anyone's guess how they would respond in the events thereafter. Especially in the workplace. I take it that you now say that you would walk away, I would dare to suggest that unless you actually find yourself in that situation you couldn't possibly know how you'll react.

Someone pointed out that the 3 presenters are a package - a cock and 2 pillocks? I have enjoyed some of the shows but since Clarkson sold out, he's been trying to get sacked. The payout he got for TG means he never needs to work again and the pocket money he'll get from his newspaper writing will keep him in beer and fags for the rest of his life. Looking forward to seeing what the new TG will be like, hoping there'll be some semblance of real world motoring content with enough silliness to keep it entertaining.

I think when TG comes back the presenters will be likely an interim/season long solution, almost sacrificial. Then it can come back polished and revamped again with the presenter(s) whom they really wanted first time around, but who wouldn't touch it so soon after Clarkson going.

Last edited:
When someone is under stress, after being physically assaulted, it is anyone's guess how they would respond in the events thereafter. Especially in the workplace. I take it that you now say that you would walk away, I would dare to suggest that unless you actually find yourself in that situation you couldn't possibly know how you'll react.

I suffered for the last two years of my employment at my previous company from someone who verbally abused me often, tried to physically abuse me and management did nothing much, even though I had everything documented. Imagine being in a meeting and a hand is put in your face with "Stop, what you say is unimportant".

to my shame I stayed in that position as I was being paid a lot of money, but I refused to attend meetings, which led to me being made redundant. The abuse was brought up again during the redundancy progress but there was the feeling it was easier to get rid of me rather than deal with it. I sought legal advice and received a settlement on top of redundancy.

So yes - I know exactly how I'd react and yes I'd walk away from conflict

Clarkson is probably free so start his own show on another channel and take his support with him.
As he was sacked, rather than walked, there is unlikely to be any thing to stop him.
come back in Overdrive perhaps............

I suffered for the last two years of my employment at my previous company from someone who verbally abused me often, tried to physically abuse me and management did nothing much, even though I had everything documented. Imagine being in a meeting and a hand is put in your face with "Stop, what you say is unimportant".

to my shame I stayed in that position as I was being paid a lot of money, but I refused to attend meetings, which led to me being made redundant. The abuse was brought up again during the redundancy progress but there was the feeling it was easier to get rid of me rather than deal with it. I sought legal advice and received a settlement on top of redundancy.

So yes - I know exactly how I'd react and yes I'd walk away from conflict
Fair enough, which makes me even more amazed at the stance that you take. I mean you were managed out as the innocent party, yet Oisin isn't.

Clarkson is probably free so start his own show on another channel and take his support with him.
As he was sacked, rather than walked, there is unlikely to be any thing to stop him.
He wasn't sacked ;)

[QUOTE="dejongj, post: 6786083, member: 40477]...You would walk away, really? Well I remember as a young lieutenant to got a severe dress down by my captain. No way I would walk away from it.

When someone is under stress, after being physically assaulted, it is anyone's guess how they would respond in the events thereafter. Especially in the workplace. I take it that you now say that you would walk away, I would dare to suggest that unless you actually find yourself in that situation you couldn't possibly know how you'll react.[/QUOTE]
This^
As a bloke of advancing years, I know I could happily walk away from most of my mgt chain under these conditions.
But none of them are as 'big' as JC either physically or in persona/influence.
And at 30? It would have been a different story even with my managers.
It's ridiculous to assert that the producer could have avoided being a victim. Bullies are very real and a genuine problem in most organisations.

I don't believe JC did this 'on purpose' I think he loved his job and plainly wishes this hadn't happened, but it's completely of his making; too much beer, too much self importance and not enough food, it's not a great mix to maintain self control.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if there wasn't a non-competition clause in his contract, especially since he'd sold his stake in the franchise. So whilst he can probably create a new show, it won't be a motoring show that bears a strong similarity to Top Gear - at least not for a few years.

He also wasn't sacked - the BBC decided not to renew his contract. Not the same thing at all.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a non-competition clause in his contract, especially since he'd sold his stake in the franchise. So whilst he can probably create a new show, it won't be a motoring show that bears a strong similarity to Top Gear - at least not for a few years.

He also wasn't sacked - the BBC decided not to renew his contract. Not the same thing at all.

Non compete clauses are very very difficult to uphold as you are ultimately denying a person the right to earn a living the best way they know how.

They, and radius clauses, are overturned all the time.

Fair enough, which makes me even more amazed at the stance that you take. I mean you were managed out as the innocent party, yet Oisin isn't.

nope - what I find strange is taking verbal abuse for 20 mins, which escalated to a physical attack. What I'm saying is I find that strange and would do something to defuse the situation, either walk away or speak calmly.

nope - what I find strange is taking verbal abuse for 20 mins, which escalated to a physical attack. What I'm saying is I find that strange and would do something to defuse the situation, either walk away or speak calmly.
The way I read the report is that the physical assault took place prior to the verbal abuse.

A slap from a work colleague would shock most people. Especially from top of the food chain individual.

Even when walking away or trying to escape if the verbal abuse that followed continues it is not that easy.

Who knows what went on in the poor chaps mind. Anyway, Jeremy did the right thing by reporting it himself.

Having listened to some of the report and various views today, although I don't agree with violence, I do agree that the situation has been handled very poorly. I find all this talk of work placed bullying to be a huge exaggeration of what actually happened, to put this into context a bit lets look at it simple terms.
  • A group of blokes have had a long day at work with maybe very little rest or refreshment,
  • after work they have gone for a quick drink, which has lead to a couple more (alcohol having a known effect on decision making).
  • They have gone to get something to eat and found the kitchen is shut so only a cold option available.
  • 1 of the group gets a bit agitated with the person responsible for organising food and things escalate from there.
The report doesn't even state what the argument as about.
Ok so put simply as I understand it this is whats happened.
  • An isolated incident where somebody (potentially under the influence) has had a go at somebody for not doing there job.
  • Expletives were used (pretty common place these day). To me this is not work placed bullying, this is somebody directing frustration and should not be judged as such.
Now lets take this further.
  • Said aggressor wakes up having realised he's been a complete cock and tries on numerous occasions to apologise, he also blows the whistle on himself to his employer (even though this happened outside of work), to me this clearly shows remorse.
Now is where it gets silly,
  • the BBC remove the show from air immediately putting it into the public eye and scrutiny,
  • the media frenzy blows things way out of proportion leaving the BBC feeling as though it has only one decision.
What should have happened is this should have been investigated internally and the show remained on TV until a decision had been reached. Allowed an unbiased decision to be formed once everything had been put in context. Should he have been reprimanded, of course (even though this was outside work hours). Should he have been removed from the show, no. Regardless of what people may think of him or the show, it is a large revenue stream for the BBC, not to mention the potential costs that may be incurred by not fulfilling agreements. All at the cost of the license fee payer.

The question as to whether TG can continue, of course it can, however given that the show was in the main about the chemistry between 3 mates p£$%ing about with cars and having a laugh, I doubt if it can continue in the same format, which is part of what has made it so popular around the globe. Their only option is to make it a more serious car show, which is what it was originally, but then it was axed due to nobody watching it.

Hopefully in the meantime Sky will commission a the old format with the 3 mates but under a different name. Can this happen? More than likely, I heard an interview today with somebody from the BBC's media dept, and when he was asked could JC take the show to another channel, he responded clearly, that the NAME could not be used elsewhere, no mention was made to the format.

Hope the 3 presenters all go to Sky where they get a bigger budget and aren't constrained with the PC BBC agenda.

Hope the 3 presenters all go to Sky where they get a bigger budget and aren't constrained with the PC BBC agenda.
They may end up being less free there. Sky have to keep sponsors happy - I don't recall Sky being known for their 'edginess'. Really think they'll be allowed to slag off Peugeot (as they amusingly did this series) if Peugeot have an advert during the show?

They may end up being less free there. Sky have to keep sponsors happy - I don't recall Sky being known for their 'edginess'. Really think they'll be allowed to slag off Peugeot (as they amusingly did this series) if Peugeot have an advert during the show?

Car manufacturers would probably trip over themselves to advertise their car during Top Gear. I don't think they would be short of offers even if some company did get offended.

I don't think the "slagging" off is particular bad publicity. It definitely gets the name out there.

In a nutshell, yes.
If car manufacturers got peeved with TGs negative reviews, they wouldn't keep sending them new ones to slag off :LOL:
Even a bad review can be spun when it's coming from people known only to favour powerful motors, and ridicule (or at best chortle about) the everyday runarounds.

Car manufacturers would probably trip over themselves to advertise their car during Top Gear. I don't think they would be short of offers even if some company did get offended.

It wasn't peugeot though - they took the p*** out the owners

If car manufacturers got peeved with TGs negative reviews, they wouldn't keep sending them new ones to slag off :LOL:

I think it was Tesla (major motor company) who sued after a less then favourable review (and lost)

I think it was Tesla (major motor company) who sued after a less then favourable review (and lost)

Yes, but did they send any Teslas back for test after that?
(And in the grand scheme of things, I think "major" is giving them credit).

Back