Class 37 Diesel Double Header

Strange seeing this, About two weeks ago I was shown a short video of a type 37 in Coventry, probably from the early 70s.
Looking at it, I thought this looks different to a type 37, then discovered that SA also had a type 37, but built by General Electric in SA.
The SA version is also diesel-electric, but about twice the HP, and the biggest difference is the sound, it has quite a growl as it has a two stoke engine I believe.

I know little about trains, except to get in one end of a journey and out the other, but I do remember travelling from Truro to London on steam, and later on diesel-electric, and when I arrived in SA in 1972, was surprised to see all the overhead wire for electric trains, and on returning to the UK in 2022, found the same had happened here :) Though I am told now that electric trains are rarely used in SA, no electricity, or cables stolen!

Photos like this bring back loads of random memories, as well as being a great photo :)

Strange seeing this, About two weeks ago I was shown a short video of a type 37 in Coventry, probably from the early 70s.
Looking at it, I thought this looks different to a type 37, then discovered that SA also had a type 37, but built by General Electric in SA.
The SA version is also diesel-electric, but about twice the HP, and the biggest difference is the sound, it has quite a growl as it has a two stoke engine I believe.
That sounds more like a Deltic which has a two stroke Napier engine and looks like a larger version of a 37. They have a distinctive growl. I've not heard of the SA version although some 37's do sometimes have a different power unit to the English Electric ones.

Last edited:
I'm glad I didn't have to pay for fuel for either of these as the hold 900 gallons.. each...
Thanks for all the comments.

"That sounds more like a Deltic which has a two stroke Napier engine and looks like a larger version of a 37. They have a distinctive growl. I've not heard of the SA version although some 37's do sometimes have a different power unit to the English Electric ones."

The series are both named 37, but the units are different, the SA one has an EMD 645 engine.
I happened to know there was a type 37 in SA, as a friend used to drive one, I didn't know about the UK one until a short while ago, I don't suppose there's much connection between them apart from the series number.

"I'm glad I didn't have to pay for fuel for either of these as the hold 900 gallons.. each..."
The SA one held about 1700 gallons :)

I wonder how far either could travel on a full tank

Back