Clouds at last!

Name
Cathy
Edit My Images
Yes
Been back to the golf course again!only been here a hundred times lol!

At last some nice clouds and no washed out grey sky.

Still needs a tweak here and there I know, but just want to thank you all for the time given to give advice.I know it is not a great shot but I am improving with all the help from here.I also want you to see i am not just asking lots of questions and not using your advice.
Thanks everyone

halfway.jpg

Last edited:
I was at Turnberry for the open in 2009 - as a spectator and wished so badly that I had my camera with me... An Amazing place.

That's a belter Cathy.

A recognisable foreground combined with an iconc background.

Lovely composition.

Last edited:
Awh! Thank you everyone I was so not expecting this response! I truly do try very hard. Car parking is easy I just park at the gate and walk in.
It is only about 10 mns to the lighthouse and beach.
If any of you plan on coming to Turnberry can I ask if I can tag along even just to watch you professionals at work. :)
Cathy

Last edited:
Hi Cathy, thats a wonderful capture, exposure looks spot on. Very nicely composed in the frame also. Hoping to head to this location this weekend and try out my new lens.

keep up the good work :)

Lovely composition and nice use of light. I enjoyed this, thanks for sharing and well done too. :)

Cathy,
You have done a nice job with this image. I think this photo has a few more possibilities to explore. I would try copping off the sides a little and maybe converting it to black and white to give you a totally new image to work with. This looks like a wonderful location that you could make many nice photographs at. Have fund, John

John thank you.
I will give that a try and see what I can get.I am so desperate to get a good shot to print but not getting it yet :( Spent another night there trying sunsets but nothing in the camera I am not going to have to fix lol!

Sunset%20Lighthouse.jpg

Last edited:
Like that second one :) Have a look at reducing the haloing and the chromatic abberation. Finally I would crop the grass away up to the rough turf to lose the empty foreground.

Hi Cathy

Just thought I would add a short comment.

For me the composition in the second shot is a little bit cluttered with three focal points to draw the eye. Also the top of the lighthouse appears a little dark as to does the top of the sky. Do you use filters? If so which did you use for this shot?

The first shot I find a very pleasing composition. Your using the rule of thirds & you have a nice bit of foreground interest. The lighting is also very good IMO.

I think you are well on the way to getting some shots you are really happy with so keep at it!

Something else to remember is that not everyone will like your photographs but don't let that put you off. As long as you are pleased with them ultimately that's all that matters.

Cheers T

Hi Tom!

Now there is something I have learned! You are right there is too many things to guide the eye in the second and I will look out for that now.Thank you for your very kind comments that was nice of you.

Re second image.

Oh Tom! That evening was a bit of a disaster I arrived later than planned and by the time I walked in to have a go at the beautiful sunset I was in such a hurry
I forgot to take my nifty 50 lens off and wondered why I had to keep walking back to get everything in lol!
I got it eventually but most of my shots were all rubbish. I stay close and I am there with my dogs a lot so I get plenty of practice.
I only have a screw on ND filter not sure how to use it yet. The image was just played with in Lightroom and I probably touched the top of the lighthouse with the exposure brush as I darkened the sky.

I will never mind if someone does not like my pics I am new and love to get honest opinions that will help me to get better as I go. So all info good and bad is welcome.
I so don't to go back to using the auto button so I just keep trying . Turnberry is a place we love and my poor hubby has been waiting an image printed for ages but I have to get it right first lol!

A really nice shot, but I would try to lose the building on the left. My eye flicked from lighthouse to it and back - not comfortable. Also the bit of cliff on the bottom right. Small things that do not detract too much from a shot I would love to have taken!

Andrew thank you,
I am grateful for your reply and I can see what you mean. I am learning from all this very welcome information and hopefully I will get better at being aware of things like this. I am off to the isle of. Lewis for a week on Sunday and I will hopefully have a better eye for what I am shooting. I should at least get plenty of practice if nothing else.
I will open the raw and make some adjustments and see how it looks.
Cathy :)

Awh! Thank you so very much it makes all my many trips to this location so very worth it to hear this.

Well I was just asking on the print forum about how to go about printing with another Turnberry print but I may do this one instead.
I have never printed any of my pictures other than family snaps and my husband who loves Turnberry keeps asking for a print.
Maybe now finally he will. :)
Cathy

Steve thank you. I was trying to save something from this shoot on that evening as the sky was very nice. However I think I played too much with the sliders in Lightroom lol! It taught me a lesson get there early and take time to set up and look around. So not wasted time but a huge learning curve :)

Love that first image, maybe cropping that boulder out bottom right would clean it up slightly.

Nick thank you I am glad you like it.
I will remove the rock as I see now it would look much better. Andrew spotted it too so later today I will get it off.
Cathy

Steve thank you. I was trying to save something from this shoot on that evening as the sky was very nice. However I think I played too much with the sliders in Lightroom lol! It taught me a lesson get there early and take time to set up and look around. So not wasted time but a huge learning curve :)

IMHO two is easily fixed with a little less severe processing. If you can get the feeling of one you've done well with it

Steve I have kept a few to play with and when I get home from my week in Lewis. I will have another go at it.
I will probably have loads to fix after this coming week lol!
Cathy

Removed the rock and the electric pole at the lighthouse.
Tried to remove the Half way house but it messed up the bushes lol! so left it in.
Cathy

nice stuff
the blobby looking cloud? on the horizon is distracting?

Dave thank you.

Do you mean the wee white clouds just above the Ailsa Craig island and would you think they require to be cloned out before printing?
Cathy

All three really attractive shots..if I had to choose it would be number 2 ,no doubt because of the sunset colours adding a striking and lovely contrast. What a beautiful location.

John thank you for taking the time to have a look.
I am pleased to hear from yourself and other group members that they enjoyed the photos
Quite a surprise really!
Cathy

I like both shots including your retake on #1 but for #2 whilst I like the composition and the sky the halting and the expanse of grass in the foreground need to be rectified to make it a stand out shot

Adrian thank you.
I will have another play with the crop tool on it to see if I can improve it.

Last edited:
Back