Coffee Machines

squizza

Eeyore
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys

My sister is wanting to buy a coffee machine - one where you don't use sachets or pods, just fresh ground beans or shop bought filter coffee.

The machine needs to be £150 max, and be able to make a range of coffees, but mostly makes good espresso.

Any advice and guidance much appreciated

Kind regards and thanks in advance

There was quite a large thread on this subject recently, all the info you require should be in there rather than starting a duplicate.

Coffee machines

For £150 I honestly think you will be struggling to get a decent espresso machine

As a entry level machine a lot would consider something such as the Rancilio Silvia, looked after this could last a life time. There are also plenty of mods to do to "tune" it up too. You might also consider Gaggia Classic.

Bearing in mind what you want to spend it is definitely worth looking at the used market.

Would suggest you join in at www.toomuchcoffee.com

When it comes to buying coffees steve at www.hasbean.co.uk is the man :)

The Gaggia classic is the best starter machine but is around £200 and a simple DIY mod is to fit the Rancillio steam wand. The difference between this and the Rancillio is not massive in terms of coffee quality and while there is no doubt the Silvia is a great machine in there is differing opinion of whether or not it is not twice as good (double the price).

I would also budget for a decent grinder as no matter what machine you buy a decent grinder (hand ones about £30 will do the job) is the key to getting the best from any coffee machine.

As Chris said Hasbean are a great source of beans and the difference between fresh beans and supermarket stuff is HUGE!

Last edited:
A Philips Senseo with the coffee duck option would fit the bill if you'll pardon the pun and with apologies to Colin.

This is all you need -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=bialetti+espresso+pot&tag=googhydr-21&index=garden&hvadid=5947942496&hvpos=1s4&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7050652672043262692&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_6i8nbs6641_b

comes in different cup sizes and is a fraction of the prices quoted - I have 2 of them :)

Manufacturer's Description
Bialetti is one of the top names in Italian housewares and has been manufacturing stove-top espresso makers since the 1930s. Its Moka Express model is still a best-seller today and all products carry the famous 'little man with the moustache' logo.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm lazy so I bought a Nespresso machine and I love it. Since I don't really drink a hell of a lot of coffee, and live alone, it's a waste to buy bags of beans, as I can't get through all of them before the beans get stale. So the Nespresso machine was a better option.

onona said:
I'm lazy so I bought a Nespresso machine and I love it. Since I don't really drink a hell of a lot of coffee, and live alone, it's a waste to buy bags of beans, as I can't get through all of them before the beans get stale. So the Nespresso machine was a better option.

Another nespresso fan here, have had a machine for a good few years and love it :) have even switched my parents and brother to nespresso as well, all of which love their machines.

Your all fools such such big fools!!!!!! you think jaffa cakes are the thing in Mod towers!!!!! a certain one will kill for a decent coffee i know from experiance i just dodged the bullet threfore don't let her know you own a proper coffee machine

Last edited:
She had no complaints about what she got served here (apart from when I left the filter bit of the filter machine out so she had to wait a bit long for it!).

Froffee coffee machine is a DeLonghi single cup with steam wand with a couple of Bialetti stove tops (1x1 cup, 1x3) in case of power cuts. Filter is (IIRC) a Sainsbury's own brand, cheap a few years back. We also have a few brikis (small stovetop pans) for making Greek/Turkish/Arabic coffee. And a little whizzer for making frappées. Somewhere there's probably a jar of instant too.

Nod next time you speak to said person ask her what i did on our way out the door at 3am ish to go to Whitby!!!!

seashaker said:
I have
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4232049.htm

Which is cheap and does make a good espresso, big problem is u can only fit espresso or double espresso cup under it, max height that fits 60mm so if its wanted for normal cup to top up to americano for example, u will struggle. Then just need a bean grinder.

Or http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9349061.htm
Which does filter as well. Good reviews same as the esrpresso one and only £135

Sorry I have to disagree. I had a delonghi like that a few years ago and it was an awful thing. It made coffee but really bore no resemblance to anything decent I would have wanted to offer any visitors.

Tbf there is a lot of snobbery in the coffee world....espresso machines ARE expensive for something decent though
However It is very much worth considering the stove top pots (actually percolators, I had a massive ceramic one with a metal base for years) or even a cafetiere.....both in my opinion will get you a nicer cup of coffee than a cheap espresso machine - actually so would a filter coffee machine.

Nod next time you speak to said person ask her what i did on our way out the door at 3am ish to go to Whitby!!!!

If she sees this, maybe she could PM me?

Back