Coin cleaning

Name
Luke
Edit My Images
Yes
Im looking todo some macro shots of some old 1+2p coins, so I have a handfull of really old 1 + 2p coins, and some new ish ones.

Im looking to get the new ish ones really clean for the shot to work.

I have tried two things...

1. Leaving them in a cup of Coca Cola all day (heard this worked, it does nothing).

2.Left them in a cup with vanish stain remover, again this did nothing.

Any other household product I can use? I have all sorts in my garage, so fire away lol!

Cillit Bang cleans coins nicely :)

Thanks Ill give that a go lol!

Also found this on a coin cleaning website...

White vinegar makes an awesome penny cleaner.
Put the pennies in a plastic drink container (a half gallon apple juice container works great) with a screw-on top and fill past the pennies with straight white vinegar. Screw the cap on and shake shake shake. Leave sit overnight. Rinse with clean water until the water doesn't come out murky. Please pass this suggestion along to fellow detectorists as it's about the best penny cleaner I've ever used!
Submitted by Jim M.

i think you need a coin cleaning forum:D

Well, the guy with cillit bang dips the coin in and lone& bold, it comes out clean!! Use Brasso meself!!

Well, the guy with cillit bang dips the coin in and lone& bold, it comes out clean!! Use Brasso meself!!

Yea..

Brasso is too expensive, and Im after a way I can do a handful at once.

Mix 1 part lemon juice, 1 part white vinegar, then put about a tablespoon of salt in. Mix it all up, bung the coins in, stir. Shouldnt take too long and works amazingly well on all but the most soiled coins.

Saw it in some video a while ago while trying to do the same!

Tomato Ketchup will do the job nicely,stripping all the ingrained muck away, so heaven knows what it does to your innards :LOL:

i'm really confused

are you trying to destroy the natural patina on old "old penny's" or are you a bit too stupid to go to the bank and buy 100 new pence?
which at the current rate of exchange is er...£1.
it's 50 x 2p for another £1.

:p the force is weak with this one :p

i'm really confused

are you trying to destroy the natural patina on old "old penny's" or are you a bit too stupid to go to the bank and buy 100 new pence?
which at the current rate of exchange is er...£1.
it's 50 x 2p for another £1.

:p the force is weak with this one :p

No I have a load ad load of old pennys, and i want to put a few sparkling ones in the mix..

Im not going to the bank to swap pennys over, so Im just doing it at home.

Coke + Washing powder seemed to work, all done now:)

Thanks for the tips though

No I have a load ad load of old pennys, and i want to put a few sparkling ones in the mix..

Im not going to the bank to swap pennys over, so Im just doing it at home.

Coke + Washing powder seemed to work, all done now:)

Thanks for the tips though

furry muff (y)
a can of coke is 60P..................:thinking:

i'm just being silly, ignore me :D

I dont drink coke and it was sent to work as a promotion, got a pallet of cans sitting in my garage, might as well use them constructively!

I dont drink coke and it was sent to work as a promotion, got a pallet of cans sitting in my garage, might as well use them constructively!

ooooooh get an air rifle and some mentos :naughty:

bang, ptannng, whooosh!

click
yay!

This is a method I use for all metal including silver, Aluminium foil matt side up place into a plastic bowl, place a table spoon of soda crystals onto the foil and cover with boiling water. Place coins onto the foil and remove when clean. Use tongs and don't burn yourself.

white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda. Works wonders.

Blue tak. the only reason i found this work is purely because i moulded some around a 2 penny coin at work. few days later its was gleamng lol.

my two pennys worth any way

Back