cokin p serie,s filters

Name
michael
Edit My Images
Yes
hi

Bought a p serie,s cokin adapter for my sigma 10-20mm lens. I,v read the little booklet and confused myself!!!. Will this adapter work on this lens at 10mm? i,m off to newquay tomo for the week and wanted to get some sunrise sunset shots with n grad filters on. please can anybody confirm this size is ok as i still have time to go and exchange for a bigger adapter.

thankyou
mick

any adapter will work as long as you have the right connection ring - if not purchase a step up or step down ring and your be fine

Cool got a 77mm ring adapter aswell.
Thankyou you,ve put my mind at rest

You can still use it with the correct size adaptor ring but you will get vignetting at 10mm.

Hope Chopsie either reads the post today or can live with the vignetting.

Bad advice given really in my opinion. It was clear that Chopsie wanted to know if it would work photographically not if it would screw in, plus more expense to buy another if required :wacky:

right i,m really confused now lol, in the booklet it says the "p"serie,s will do up to 82mm and is recommended for focal lengths of 28mm, but then in another qoute it says this extra slim holder helps to eliminate vignetting on p series. can hold one filter and allows the use of filters with super wide angle lenses (focal lengths under 20mm in 35 mm format.
I,m totally confused . com now!! shall i go and get my cash back? or exchange
thanks again
mick

The 82mm is the maximum adapter thread size

The standard holder can hold 3 filters which is fine lets say on a standard kit lens 18-55, 58mm thread diameter, But on a sigma focal length 10-20mm, 77mm thread diameter you need the slim wide angle one filter slot holder. Even this will give you some vignetting, although you can get rid by adjusting your lens to 11mm roughly. By rights, if you require no vignetting at all you should buy the X pro series but that system will cost you mega bucks. So the p series can be used but you have to know youre going to get slight vignetting at 10mm, thus you photo may have to be cropped of you might be able to get rid of the vignetting in photoshop?

I would exchange for the slim wide angle holder although they can be like hens teeth at times

So it might be ok, i,m new to filters etc, sorry to be a pain but money,s hard to come by and can,t afford to waste any lol. What would you do in my situation?. would i be better off buying a screw in type filter? I understand what you are saying but don,t have a copy of photoshop. seems like a lot of hassle and money if it isn,t goig to do the correct job?

Once again dean thankyou for taking the time to explain
all the best
Mick

If you can swap the standard holder for the slim one then great - the larger format filters are significantly expensive so you may want to live with the compromise.

The vignette may or may not matter depending on how you decide to crop the final image. I would take a few pics with the holder that you have in place and see how badly the vignette affects you and make a decision based on that.

Hi

I will Take them back and see if i can get the slim holder if not i might just get my cash back for now.

Thanks everybody that helped :)
mick

You can pick up a slim holder for under a tenner.

I got one just for using with my Sigma 10-20. I use with a 77mm Kood ring and it works fine.

The slim holder has one filter slot rather than the 3 you find on the normal holder. If you don't ever stack filters and one slot is always enough or you need winde angle in a rush you can remove (with a heated scalpel) the front two slots to reduce holder depth.

Maybe I've missed something here but surely it's easy enough to stick it on and try it out?

Your obviously missing the point mentioned above, of course it will 'WORK'

ie. Its going to FIT and reduce the sky by a certain stop but would you like a black circle/shadow round your shots?

I took this the other day with my Tokina 12-24 at 12mm with the standard Cokin P holder fitted. The vignette corresponds to pretty near 10% of the left to right dimensions. A 10mm lens is significantly wider than 12mm - probably another 10% or more, so you are looking at a significant loss.

DSC_7919EV0.jpg

Having said, until I get a slim holder, this will do. I regularly use it at 12mm, because I like the perspective exagerration it gives. I just crop out the vignette, or clone a part of it back into the shot in extremis.

DSC_7919HDR-1.jpg

That's far more visible than my sigma even at 10mm on a 40d and kood ring.

Your obviously missing the point mentioned above, of course it will 'WORK'

How am I missing the point? The question was:

Bought a p serie,s cokin adapter for my sigma 10-20mm lens. I,v read the little booklet and confused myself!!!. Will this adapter work on this lens at 10mm? i,m off to newquay tomo for the week and wanted to get some sunrise sunset shots with n grad filters on. please can anybody confirm this size is ok as i still have time to go and exchange for a bigger adapter.
(bold text inserted by me)

Like I said, couldn't he just try it? Wouldn't that show if there was any vignetting?

Cos if the product is in a blister pack the shop might not give him a refund once opened.

So with the information given by myself and others, it could potentially have saved him money, disappointment and time.

Cos if the product is in a blister pack the shop might not give him a refund once opened.

So with the information given by myself and others, it could potentially have saved him money, disappointment and time.

Hi

I must admit that was my concern, if it wasn,t going to work how it should i couldn,t afford not to be able to get refund. Thanks for all the help but its now back in the shop.

Back