Critique Colin Varndell Workshop - Assorted birds (and a squirrel)

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Last weekend I spent a thoroughly enjoyable day at Colin Varndells down near Bridport. It's the first time I've used a hide so it was definitely a learning experience.

I don't usually shoot birds, so was quite surprised by how quick they move and how reactive you have to be. Lots of respect to the outstanding images posted in this particular forum! I just realised how hard it is to get some of these.

My 120-400 Sigma is only f5.6 at 400mm, so with this and my ageing Canon 400D I struggled a little with the light, but I got a few I'm pleased with.

Constructive C&C welcome.

Cheers

Alan

1. Gold finch

Gold finch
by crossland_alan, on Flickr

2. Negative space

negative space

Great tit

Grey squirrel

Robin

Blue tit

woodpecker

I'd be over the moon with them personally. They're very contrasty images which I'd be tempted to see how they look with it backed off a little and maybe a little less saturation?

Some great poses though and everything looks sharp with lovely OOF backgrounds.

Just to add, I'm on my phone so what I've said maybe a load of old tosh... lol.

I like them a lot, you are right about birds they are not as easy to shoot as some think. Very nice set well done.

David / Robbie, thanks, much appreciated.

Re the contrast, many of the originals are a little dark due to the limited ISO / noise capability of my old Canon. So I tended to be a stop under exposed. I didn't want to try and pull back too much to avoid more noise, hence the darks are quite dark, if you see what I mean.

I ran them through Nik Dfine 2 for noise reduction which seems to work quite nicely.

Colin has a great set up for hides. To be honest without this environment I would probably not get anything near this. And he's a very nice and knowledgable chap which really helps!

These are great. Did you just do the hides, or was this part of a course please ?

I spent a day with Colin a couple of years ago but was out and about most of the day just back for the food... had been thinking about a day in the hides.

Lovely set of bird shots. You should be proud of them. The second blue tit and the woodpecker are my favourites.

Mike,

This was advertised as a workshop day on his website. Included lunch, tea, used 3 hides over the day. He popped back periodically to check in and assist with any questions.

He doesn't have many days like this advertised. Also said it's only possible till about March as there's enough food around for the birds without his feeders after this.

You can book a hide and use it any day, for a lower rate. I assume you just don't get as much hospitality!

I definitely intend to return before the spring.

Hi Alan,

I have just been looking at your Photostream on Flickr and I must say I am very impressed and there is much variety of subject.

I live near Bridport and have sent Colin an email about possibly hiring a hide as he doesn't appear to be doing any more bird workshops this year.

Robin :)

Mike,

This was advertised as a workshop day on his website. Included lunch, tea, used 3 hides over the day. He popped back periodically to check in and assist with any questions.

He doesn't have many days like this advertised. Also said it's only possible till about March as there's enough food around for the birds without his feeders after this.

You can book a hide and use it any day, for a lower rate. I assume you just don't get as much hospitality!

I definitely intend to return before the spring.

Thank you - appreciate the additional information. Might have to see about that as well.

Just a final question if you don't mind. I'm assuming most of these were shot a 400mm on your 1.6x 40D. Are you cropping them much further for display here or are they nearly full frame please ?

Cheers Robin,

I do like variety!!

Thank you - appreciate the additional information. Might have to see about that as well.

Just a final question if you don't mind. I'm assuming most of these were shot a 400mm on your 1.6x 40D. Are you cropping them much further for display here or are they nearly full frame please ?

Mike,

It's a 400D, not a 40D, but yes still a crop sensor so x1.6.

Most were shot at 400mm, but a couple at less, 320 / 350, but this represents nothing more than my own lack of skill / ability to zoom right in at the moment to take the shot. Crop wise I'd say they are all cropped in lightroom, using one of the standard aspect ratio's in the crop tool, by a maximum of about a third to a quarter on one axis or the other.

See this as an example of an original shot at 400mm versus the crop above.

Default Album by alan72 on Talk Photography

I shot at ISO 400 for the day as it was quite overcast, occasionally the sun broke through and I got some good shutter speeds, but these are mostly 1/250 or 1/320, but that's the lottery with the weather. ISO 400 is as far as I go on my 400D to keep the noise under control.

Cheers

Alan

Last edited:
I shot at ISO 400 for the day as it was quite overcast, occasionally the sun broke through and I got some good shutter speeds, but these are mostly 1/250 or 1/320, but that's the lottery with the weather. ISO 400 is as far as I go on my 400D to keep the noise under control.

Cheers
Alan

Thanks again - that really helps. Will see what Colin comes back with on costs and availability for a hide day.... tis

Back