Colour or BW Canyon

Colour, but bump up the saturation a little :)

I prefer the black & white, the lack of colour accentuates the lines and makes the picture more dramatic, in my opinion.

Both are great pictures, but the black and white is my favourite.

Chris

I prefer the colour, but would crop, boost saturation and contrast, sharpen.

editex.jpg

Thanks for the comments gentlemen. For what its worth I preferred the B & W also.
I did bump up the saturation on the colour but it became HDR (ish) which I like generally but not in this instance.

B&W for me too. Much more dramatic imo.

Steve

Colour-definitley. It loses so much in B&W. The colours in the Canyon are stunning-you'd have done the scene an injustice had we not seen it in colour.

Marie..you've done a great job on that - it will certainly make a few look twice at their photos. before being satisfied with them, it's certainly made an impression on me. Also...I envy you living on Skye - a photographers' paradise in all seasons.

Both work for me, maybe up the blacks in the B&W one ever so slightly?!

I like both the B&W and Marie's colour edit. They both present different things IMHO. I think the colour shot is more eye catching certainly, and what the Canyon is about, but I'm a bit of a sucker for B&W and once the colour is stripped away the tonal information looks more interesting [although I'd like a bit more contrast].

Matt, Ben & Toby thanks for your comments - just what I was looking for, appreciate your time.

Colour for me for sure! But I think it could do with a saturation boost, that being said the B&W one is very nice too.

Looks like an amazing place, see a few of places like this, really want to visit it one day :)

Mono conversion of my earlier colour edit:

editmono.jpg

Hope you dont mind my posting this Mark, but I agree with folks saying that it needed a bit more punch.
I used nik silver efex pro (high contrast preset), then gave it a tad more contrast until I liked the result.

Its all there in your image, just don't be scared to give it some oomph ;)

Thanks again Marie, don't mind at all thats why I put it up there...my thoughts are still with the B & W version.

I don't hold with Canontogger's mono. Too hard. The softness of the light, and hence the image, is integral. I was thinking of very subtle changes to the original B&W, just to give a slightly stronger sense of depth.

6851736022_eb977e9552_b_c-1.jpg

Also Nik SilverEfex, using control points to adjust luminosity, to hold the shadows open, and to apply a subtle tint to help provide depth.

Last edited:
Back