Critique Colour vs. B&W

I prefer the black and white. Gorgeous eyes and a nice moment.....I would prefer a little more room below, the crop is to tight and you have the floating head syndrome.

Thanks for the feedback, Lee. There is a neck and shoulders in the frame, so not too sure I agree with floating head ;) The crop is tight, but with a hat on, it's acceptable in my opinion.

Colour for me. I think b&w is best when there are textures, babies are far too smooth to carry b&w photos.
Matt

ARGH!! Tough one! Both lovely images and such a cutie! But I'm leaning towards to B&W I think... no wait, colour... er, no, B&W... :\

Colour one for me- shame about the highlighted bricks right of shot though

Still a lovely image

Les ;)

A nice shot but a wee bit overcooked in PP for me - skin looks too smoothed and the eyes are a bit too "popped".

Might be my screen as i am viewing on an old monitor at work.

Thanks guys, are you referring to the Take II?

All of them. I don't mind eyes being popped, but like with all things PP a little goes a long way. Ask yourself when you've ever seen eyes like that in reality...

Thanks for the feedback Dean, but all I did in the processed version was crop, levels adjustment and sharpen. I didn't do anything specifically to make the eyes "pop".

I can understand if you were referring to the Take II version as the processing has definitely increased the exposure in the eyes and has made them look quite popped. I don't agree in the original images though?

I've also been told my white balance is off because the whites of her eyes are greyish/blue - but that's what they look like in real life o_O

Here's the unedited version, converted directly from RAW with no adjustments made at all.

Unedited

Back