Beginner Combe Down, Bath Landscape.

Edit My Images
Yes
After rolling down the hill I stumbled upon beautiful scenery with cars quickly filling up lay-by just take a snap of autumn in England.

Bath Landscape
by Rudlin, on Flickr

Skyline has been saturated and darkened, bottom LHS meadows highlights reduced. Overall saturation, vibrance and contrast increased. Hoping I did not overcook otherwise great landscape. Your opinions?

Thank you

Nothing particularly looks over cooked in the landscape infact exposure and processing I'd say were rather good, but I'm struggling to find any real interest, I once heard is said a great view doesn't make a great photo, I'd be tempted to crop all of the meadow out and make the trees the whole of the landscape, I think that would make a stronger image but I don't think it's ever going to be an amazing scene :(

Personally, I'm not interested particularly in what you did, just what the end result looks like. Sometimes images are over processed, but this one didn't strike me as such. I spent some time looking at it and made my own mind up before reading any comments, and I'm broadly in agreement with Matthew.

To me, an image which is clearly representational often falls in to one of two camps - there are those that show me a pretty scene and let me see what the photographer saw (possibly what the photographer would have liked to see, if the processing has been over done), and there are those that let me feel what the photographer felt. This one falls into the first category, and therefore for me falls short.

Reading between the lines, you use the word "autumn" in your description, and to follow through on what would appear to be your intention with this one, I'd second Matthew's suggestion to crop out all the meadow areas. I tried this, cropping of about a third from the right hand side to remove even the patch of grass that runs across the bottom third, and the whole of the meadow on the bottom. That concentrates the attention on the trees and the autumn colours.

I suspect that the camera wasn't held quite straight, as all the trees appear to lean to the left. Some trees might do this (few trees grow perfectly vertically) but all seems a little suspicious. A one degree clockwise rotation in Photoshop made things look a little better; possibly slightly more might be reasonable.

Overall, I'm not certain what the subject actually was, and my advice would be to consider why you want to photograph the scene - what makes it seem worthwhile - and having isolated the essential elements then consider how to put them together in the clearest and most powerful way.

Combe Down? More like Claverton?Brass knocker Hill?lol

Back