Comfy camera Rucksack

Edit My Images
Yes
Need a very comfy rucksack that can also have a tripod strapped.

Primary requirement is comfort, must allow my back to breath in the summer and comfortable to wear with 5kg of gear.

Main use will be to go on holiday with it, so security for my gear is also needed.

Thirdly, compartment for useful stuff such as sandwich and water.

Lastly, rain proof cover is preferred. may want to take it trekking.

In terms of size, the more compact the better. Just need to hold 2 medium sized zooms, one prime and one flashgun, 2 filters and a tripod. But will need a compartment for other stuff.

I currently have a Lowepro Fastpack 250, it's lacking tripod straps and makes my back sweat like no tomorrow. Also it's slightly too big for my needs.

Show me what you have got and whether it's comfortable.

I have a Kata DR-465i, has a rain cover and it can hold a camera with lens attached and 2 lenses. Has a personal and laptop compartment and I always use it for holidays and never had issues with comfort. The only week point is the tripod holder isn't great, but it has one :)

EDIT: it's the 466i I have, the 465i doesn't have the laptop compartment

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations. Phil, those bags looks massive for what they can hold, might be a bit too big for city holidays?

Reading up on Kata DR-467, apparently it's not very comfortable to wear?

http://www.techradar.com/news/photo...eras/best-camera-backpack-10-tested-1074762/4

Then in the same group test, came across Vanguard UpRise 45, which led me to 46. The one that has laptop compartment. The UpRise looks good, and reasonably secure (?). Best part I like about it are the thick paddings and the built-in tripod holder. Also there's possibility of removing dividers to use as a normal rucksack.

What's everyone's view on this Vanguard UpRise 46 bag?

You mentioned security, the Vanguard doesn't seem even remotely secure, to my eyes!
The Alpha, as Stevie reviewed and linked to a video review on YT in his thread, is the smaller version of the Alpha L, with access at your back.

The Adventure K3L smaller capacity than the K4L that superseded it, will be restricted to tea-leafs by way of the central mounted tripod.

The thing is, you want small and compact, but with room for camera gear and food/lightweight jacket, etc - those are at odds with one another.

I think the Alpha is the best compromise, but if you like the Vanguard layout, then look at the Naneu Urban 60. Bear in mind neither will have anything like as good a ventilation system as the Adventure K3L/K4L, and even the OPS Alpha is only so good.

What about either of these, for size concerns?
http://www.naneubags.com/products-by-series/military-ops/echo-x
http://www.naneubags.com/products-by-series/military-ops/bravo

Last edited:
ThinkTank airport essentials

For comfort while fully loaded I haven't found a match for the Naneu K3L, kinda sorry I sold it back then.

You mentioned security, the Vanguard doesn't seem even remotely secure, to my eyes!
The Alpha, as Stevie reviewed and linked to a video review on YT in his thread, is the smaller version of the Alpha L, with access at your back.

The Adventure K3L smaller capacity than the K4L that superseded it, will be restricted to tea-leafs by way of the central mounted tripod.

The thing is, you want small and compact, but with room for camera gear and food/lightweight jacket, etc - those are at odds with one another.

I think the Alpha is the best compromise, but if you like the Vanguard layout, then look at the Naneu Urban 60. Bear in mind neither will have anything like as good a ventilation system as the Adventure K3L/K4L, and even the OPS Alpha is only so good.

What about either of these, for size concerns?
http://www.naneubags.com/products-by-series/military-ops/echo-x
http://www.naneubags.com/products-by-series/military-ops/bravo

Excellent point, it's probably another case of me wanting something that doesn't exist. Reason I liked Vanguard was because it can be converted to normal rucksack. But upon further reading, looks like K3L, Alpha and Bravo can all do this.

The K3L is a bit big for my liking, whereas the Bravo looks great size. I don't have a laptop, but would like to bring my iPad, I doubt the iPad will fit inside the top compartment of Bravo. :(

How big would the K3L be compared to Lowepro Fastpack 250?
EDIT: Taller, Wider, same depth. hum, already consider the fastpack to be slightly too big :shake:

Also, Naneu brand seems to be pretty rare in UK, where can I find a would be a reliable supplier?

For comfort while fully loaded I haven't found a match for the Naneu K3L, kinda sorry I sold it back then.

Thanks, this is kind of the user experience recommendation I am looking for. :)

Last edited:
The member I linked his Alpha review put the Polish website in his thread that I'd found doing the Alpha for the cheapest price.
PM him to ask how he has got on with the bag and dealing with the reseller.

I have the Vanguard 45 which had a separate top compartment and a raincover.

The bottom section for gear is opened from the inward facing side thus making it very secure when you are wearing it since it cannot be accessed by passers-by when standing in a crowd. It also has a side opening for the camera only so you can quickly access this when the bag is on your back.

It would fit all your gear in, plus a body, but without much room to spare thus would be about as compact as you could expect. I find it comfortable to wear.

Security's a tough one! Any of the canvas/nylon type bags can be easily sliced through with a sharp blade. My compromise is a clip like a carabiner through the holes in the zip pulls and a split ring through a loop in the bottom corner of the bag. Won't stop a slicer but will slow down anyone trying to simply unzip the bag. Slows "authorised" access marginally but when I'm accessing the bag frequently, I just don't do the clip up!

Got one of these I am thinking of selling as my gear has outgrown it.

It is very comfortable to wear and you can only access the camera section by taking the rucksack off, the access to this part is against your back. Much more secure than the ones that can be accessed whilst you are wearing it.

Well worth you doing some research into this one.

http://www.naneubags.com/products-by-series/military-ops/alpha

Got one of these I am thinking of selling as my gear has outgrown it.

It is very comfortable to wear and you can only access the camera section by taking the rucksack off, the access to this part is against your back. Much more secure than the ones that can be accessed whilst you are wearing it.

Well worth you doing some research into this one.

http://www.naneubags.com/products-by-series/military-ops/alpha
I'd be interested in this offer. What gear have you got that you've out grown it? Got any photos of the bag? condition of it?

Also, could you try to fit an A4 paper into the bag (anywhere) without bending? or use an iPad if you have one.

thanks for the clip idea, Nod.

Steph, I was thinking about 46 for the computer compartment. It looks like a well designed bag, thanks for the comments. If I can't source the Naneu, the Vanguard will be my second choice.

Looking on the polish site, 150 PLN for Bravo, 100 for delivery...... come on?!!

We've got a 7D, 6D, 17-40 lens, 24-105 lens, 70-200 lens and a 100-400 lens. Needless to say I don't want to carry all these at the same time but the Naneu will only take one body in the secure apartment plus lenses and a few other bits. We have just bought a Lowepro AW200 so we can acccommodate both bodies and the necessary lenses.

I do not qualify for placing classified ads yet as I am new to the forum. Photos could be sent to your email address but I am not sure what the protocol is here. Please advise as I do not wish to offend forum rules/ettiquette.

Last edited:
Looking on the polish site, 150 PLN for Bravo, 100 for delivery...... come on?!!

That's £20, same as Steve paid for his Alpha.
Not sure, but think that's with the Polish equivalent of Royal Mail.
Based on a presumed 1.5kg shipping weight, RM is £11 & £16 for it's two services to Poland, within 5 days timeframe.
Not a huge difference, in the grand scheme of things.

Just look at it as a £50 bag - is it worth £50 to you?
If so, then the item price to delivery ratio is immaterial.

Last edited:
Cheapest I could find for Alpha was 249ZL on Polish site and $149 on US site. These sums translate out at about £53 and £100 respectively plus delivery to UK. Some price difference!

Back